Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 05:06 PM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Rolling

Hello everyone.

I've searched the archives, but not found a detailed description of the info I'm looking for. I want to know what would be required to use factory twist wheels (18's) from a 1997 C4S on my 1996 C2 narrowbody. I tried installing them to see how they'd look, and they seem to stick about 3/4" past the edge of the fender.

Would fender rolling be adequate to take care of this? Do any of you have experience with fender rolling? Does it destroy the paint? Can it be returned to stock easily? An acquaintance is selling these wheels and I'd like to get them for my car if I can fit them.

Thanks,

LeeH
Aiken, SC USA
1996 C2 Coupe, 120K miles
Old 12-06-2003, 05:17 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pass on these...get the wheels with the correct offset.

WRT to fender rolling, I did it to both my cabs and one is now running 11" rims. It doesn't damage the paint* and once done, it cannot be reversed. Techart has a special tool that some shops use to make rolling the fender lips easier.

*[edit - doesn't damage the paint if done correctly which requires heating the paint so that it flexes rathers than crack when the fender lip is bent back]

Last edited by David in LA; 12-07-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

David's right. The twists come in the correct offset for your car. I would avoid fender rolling, if at all possible.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:12 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LeeH,

I have rolled my fenders to allow for a full wheel well maximizing the track width and tire under the car. this however is for the track. The 993 turbo bodied car wheel do stick out 3/4 of inch because of the wheel offset. That is alot to deal with for a street car because you are not going to play with negative camber just to get the wheel to fit.

Fender rolling is a fairly violent activity and when done correctly not even noticeable. I do not think you could return a rolled fender to it original shape without replacing the entire fender and repainting to make our car.

The others are right, for a street car you should just get a correct offset.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:57 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

david--- do you have any pictures of one of your cabs w/ rolled fenders from the ***... bet it looks pretty mean!? please post if you do. i can't believe you got 11"s to fit... what all did you have to do? also, does turning more rubber slow the car down any?

thanks!

& later...
Old 12-07-2003, 10:46 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Fender rolling is not reversible. I did it on 2 Audi A4's and you could not tell anything was done. I did it kind of a "ghetto" way with a baseball bat.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by 24FPS
does turning more rubber slow the car down any?
You can bet your rotating mass it does.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:07 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 24FPS
david--- do you have any pictures of one of your cabs w/ rolled fenders from the ***... bet it looks pretty mean!? please post if you do. i can't believe you got 11"s to fit... what all did you have to do? also, does turning more rubber slow the car down any?
I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but if you do a search under my ID you'll find a few pics I've uploaded in the past (look for a green cab). There are also some old pics (pre-euro TT bumper, RSD and a bunch of other stuff) in the Rennlist Gallery - I think they are in album #64 IIRC.

Only modification was rolling the rear fenders as the 11" wheels (Gemballas Competitions) have the proper offset. I'm currently running 225/285 (car originally came with hollow turbo twists with the same tire size) but will probably fit 235 or 245 upfront when they wear out.

Quick Reply: Fender Rolling