Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hold out for a lower millage car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 01:55 AM
Kitch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hold out for a lower millage car?

I've been searching for a 993 for a month or two now. Specifically I am looking for a black C2 coupe, 96 or 97. 6 speed Looking to spend 35-40k

I would really prefer gray interior, but this doesnt seem to exist. Black is a close second. I have yet to be able to see a tan 993 interior in person, although i really dislike it in the 964 cars ive seen it in, looks kinda, well, crappy, litteraly. Tough to tell in pictures, but it appears that hte 993 tan leather is more of a natural looking tan, which is much better. Is this an accurate description of the 993 tan?

I'll most likely drive this car about 8k miles a year I'm guessing.

So far I've not had much luck in finding a lower millage car that meets my cirteria, most seem to have 60-70k miles on them. I've seen lower millage cars, but they are either cabs, or the wrong color, its always something. Is it worthwhile to continue extending my search a couple more months in hopes of finding a lower millage car? Or should it really just come down to condition of the vehicle?

Thanks for listening to me if you made it this far. Just trying to talk my way through this search, and most of my friends and family are tired of hearing about it already. The GTi is entertaining, but I'm missing having a nice performance car in the garage. Watching all my car buddies take off for VIR this weekend really hurt.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:57 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd really look more for a one-owner car that has been cared for. Low mileage is comparatively over rated.

these cars are well built and with proper maintenance last a long long time! i'd have no worries on a 60-70k mile car.

cheers,
boris
Old 12-06-2003, 02:05 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't even worry about the number of owners, as long is there is good service history on the car. I'm the 4th owner of my 1996 turbo with 59,000 miles. The car is great... still smells like new.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:06 AM
Kitch
Advanced

Thanks for the input Boris. Anyone with experience getting a car throgh a dealer? I would assume its not uncommon to try to find the owner prior to the dealer in order to find out more about its history?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why aren't you considering '95s?
Old 12-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Kitch
Advanced

Honestly, it's because I really don't like the baskethandle. Plus the slightly broader tq curve couldnt hurt. I realize both issues can be addressed after purchase, but I don't see why I shouldn't just hold out and buy it the way I want it straight "from the factory"
Old 12-06-2003, 09:39 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

It took me 4 months to find the car I wanted. Don't settle on a car, get exactly what you want and you will not regret it.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:42 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Kitch,

Definitely hook up with the Porsche dealer(s). They will often get a trade from someone that is bumping "up" (quotes are mine) to a 996. That was the case with my car. Wealthy owner with two 993's, kept the cab and traded the coupe on a 996TT.

When I was looking for my car, I contacted the three Porsche dealers that are within a two hour drive. A lot depends on who you end up talking to and how you present yourself. I lucked out by connecting with the owner of one dealership and kept pestering him for six months. When "my" car was traded in, the dealer called me first and I bought the car over the phone.

The dealer had sold my car new and provided all the records, PO's name, etc. The best car buying experience I've ever had.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Kitch,

My car also happens to be a late model build '95 that came from the factory without the basket handle TBL. If you're considering '96's and up, you can widen your net by not discounting '95's. By the way, that power deficit can be equalized by adding a relatively inexpensive engine chip, such as the one that Steve Weiner sells. Also, not having to deal with the OBDII CEl SAI issue is another advantage, IMHO, despite the likelihood that my injectors are clogged up.

I bought my car from an independent "dealer" in Oklahoma and had a largely positive experience, aside form a titling snafu that turned out to be just that and nothing illegitimate. The records checked out for this locally owned, two-owner car, as did the PPI, the car being 99% what the dealer said it was. I tried calling one of the owners before purchase but never got a call back. It didn't bother me.

Oh, and some people feel that black interiors are rather dark and somber, but I think they look business-like and fitting for a sports car. If you should decide to add race seats or other interior mods, matching the interior may be a challenge. Of course, you can do the black surflex thing that Greg D brought to our attention in a recent thread and redye your interior. In a Porsche, you can't go wrong with black.

When my 993 came into my hands, it had about 25,000 miles on it, low mileage being one of my buying criteria. Many people here think low miles are overrated, but, within reason, it can make a difference especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long, long time, as I do. On the flip side of a low mileage 993 is the danger that the car has not been driven enough and that seals may begin to crack since the car is not being used as intended. I'm not sure if this is urban legend or not.

If you buy a car with mileage that's "too high", you can never (legally) go back. There seem to be quite a few good cars out there; I'm sure yours is waiting for you if you can be patient, however hard that may be.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-06-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my opinion, I would stay away from a dealer. In most cases you'll spend significantly more for the car. Far better to buy from the owner -- you can talk to him or her and better determine how they took care of the car (absolute key unless you like expensive repair bills). Also, I think the lower the miles the better. Less likey to pay for a clutch or upper end rebuild. As was said earlier, take your time and get the car you want.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

The rare dealer deal can be OK! I bought my car from a dealer 750 miles from my house off the internet! Luxury Motors. A guy traded it in for a "new" 2002 C4S. It was exactly the color combo I wanted. I HAD to have Polar Silver with a Black interior for a low price. I never liked tan, as it gets too dirty. I didn't want grey, as I was afraid for dirt showing easily as well. I thought black would hide the dirt the best, and after owning it for 11 months now, I know that I was right on that one. You can spill coffee, grape juice, anything (except white towel lint!) and it won't show on those black mats and black carpeting.

I got a 59k mi, 96 C4S for $40,500 in January 2003 and it needed tires and a clutch. They paid for the new windshield. I did my research and contacted the previous owner through the receipts from the car (the Porsche dealership surprising produced them for me during the PPI and amazingly gave me the PO's name, address and #), PLUS, I had some of you Rennlisters actually look at, drive, and take pics of the car!!! I couldn't believe it. I was emailed 20 some pics of the car while getting it's PPI and I made my decision in that way. I basically bought it without ever seeing it in person or driving it. I trusted Sachin here on Rennlist that it drove well (he kindly test drove it for me) and went for it.

It's a crap shoot. An original owner would have been my preferred method, but I went that route for 2-3 months and came up dry, for the price I wanted to pay (under $46K all fixed up and ready to go!!!). The car I got was a 2 owner car, and the 2nd owner maintained it pretty well. It looks new to me! Only has a slightly creased rear bumper due to another car "touching it", and a small scratch on the left front quarter panel. I call them "character marks", and these 2 imperfections make me smile every time I see them. I don't worry about the car as much knowing they are there. It's OK not to own a "perfect car" with some slight infractions.

Keep looking. It's like trying to find a wife. You search and search for a seemingly long time ...and maybe you simply get disgusted with the process and finally just give up, you'll look up when day when you didn't expect it and there she is - shimmering in the sunlight, or bathed in the moonlight, smiling back at you, and you just know: this is "the one".

Steve
Old 12-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Kitch
Advanced

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom.

I did not realize that some of the 95s didnt have the baskethandle. Good to know so I can broaden the search a bit. It seems silly to rule cars out for it, but I feel its just as important as the right color.

The hunt continues then. Let me know if you find any cars meeting or closely meeting my criteria!

Have a great weekend all. I'm off to VIR to watch people having fun.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Moto
Intermediate

Default First Post!

Hey everyone - my first post....what a great forum! I will definitely be joining to support this great resource.

Kitch..I am in Wilmington, NC and am in a similar boat. Currently looking for a 96 triple black C4S.....prefer on the east coast so I don't have to fly - drive - and then ship! I have one to look at this weekend...so we'll see!

There is a car in Charlotte that matches exactly what you are seeking:

Description — $39,500, '97 Porsche 993, 39k mi, black/gray lthr int, 18'' tech factory whls, sun rf, factory motor sound, exc. cond, $39,500. 704-789-4014, 704-788-8060 ...

I saw that ad the other day and copied it. Don't know the EXACT condition because I have not seen the car or talked to the owner.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

hey kitch

I know of a car that fits the bill exactly for you but has a white exterior. white 97, grey interior nicely optioned with 39000 miles and is in great shape. I am considering myself actually but I am really trying to hold out for Arena Red.

Email me since we are both looking maybe we can combine our search efforts and both find exactly what we want

ob986s@hotmail.com

Jon
Old 12-06-2003, 11:53 AM
PSU-993
Advanced

Kitch,

I've been thinking of possibly selling my car, but it's a 95. It currently has just over 19k on the clock. PM me if you want to discuss details.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hold out for a lower millage car?