What to do with $60K.....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 05:21 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Rob,

I will be in Summit over the weekend of the 22nd (I think)....any chance I can hear those Supercups?

Check your email later - I sent you one interesting note already and I'll have another shortly.

Doug
Old 12-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you going to be using the car as weekend low miles or as primary transportation. If its weekend low miles go with the turbo its going to be WAY more fun to drive. If its for transportation/primary car then I would get the c2, It would be hard for me anyways to put so many miles on a turbo.

Ian
91 964 Turbo
Old 12-03-2002, 06:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive about 5K miles per year in total - split between 3 cars at present.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:28 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

hallo
Drive both Cars . Even so you go for the 2S because of the Color or so , you will never forget the Turbo Ride . Go for the Turbo , make sure it was not damaged before and it is maintained well ( Servicestamps by Porsche ).
harald
Old 12-03-2002, 06:29 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Back to square one....the Turbo might not be in the best shape and the C2S owner wants too much money.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Skytop
Racer

Thumbs up

DC:
One issue no one has addressed is whether the TT is manual or tip. Note that about 75% of TT's are tip. My dealer states that the TT is just more pleasureable to drive with the tip since shifting from 1st and upward must be done lightning fast with the explosive spool up of the engine RPM's.
Please note that I am not a big fan of tiptronic but this is what my experienced dealer states.
My feelings are that a true sports car, let alone a classic should have stick. Da choice iz yours! And what a choice! You lucky dog!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Skytop
Racer

Thumbs up

DC:
One issue no one has addressed is whether the TT is manual or tip. Note that about 75% of TT's are tip.
My dealer states that the TT is just more pleasureable to drive with the tip since shifting from 1st and upward must be done lightning fast with the explosive spool up of the engine RPM's. The tip makes dealing with the engine must more practical and liveable.
Please note that I am not a big fan of tiptronic but this is what my experienced dealer states.
My feelings are that a true sports car, let alone a classic should have stick. Da choice iz yours! And what a choice! You lucky dog!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:38 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Skytop:
<strong>DC:
One issue no one has addressed is whether the TT is manual or tip. Note that about 75% of TT's are tip.
My dealer states that the TT is just more pleasureable to drive with the tip since shifting from 1st and upward must be done lightning fast with the explosive spool up of the engine RPM's. The tip makes dealing with the engine must more practical and liveable.
My feelings are that a true sports car, let alone a classic should have stick. Da choice iz yours! And what a choice! You lucky dog!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think your experienced dealer needs to read up on the 993Turbo. The reason this was never discussed was that it wasn't an issue. I have never, ever seen one in a Tip and until the 996 Turbo arrived it was never an option.
Is this the dealer you let work on your car? They sure wouldn't touch mine.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Skytop -- there is no such thing as a 993 Twin Turbo tiptronic -- you must be thinking of the 996 TT.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Skytop
Racer

Todd:
Yes, I stand corrected. Thanks.
Gregg, fella you just gotta lighten up a bit.
Cheers to all.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:58 PM
acastell
Racer

Question

DCFCC-

This may be too late based on your last post

A few thoughts to consider.

I recently sold a 98 C4S Arctic Silver/Blk with 27K miles on it...not exactly the same as the 2S, but arguable similar in rarity and style. Often times while driving my car, I wondered what it would be like to own a 993tt. I never thought about 996 ownership, NA or TT, or about boxster ownership, just the 993tt.

Another point to consider is the aging of the 993tts. As everyday passes, it is less desirable to 'maintain' a 993tt. This is not to say that the desire to own an increasingly coveted car wanes, simply maintaining the cars get more difficulty. With each passing day, the number of water cooled mechanics increases as the number of air cooled mechanics decreases (probably not at a noticeable rate, but certainly a measurable rate). Also, these cars are getting older. More miles are getting loaded on and more time sitting on the now 6-5 yrs old suspensions is accruing.

The time to own is now! The car to own is a 993tt. As do many of us, I had enough money to buy a 996, bit opted for a 993 (2 different times) Get your saddle time in now while the cars are still relatively new. Once they become classics (someday) then you will not drive them with the same fervor.

If you go with the 2S, outstanding decision as well! It is still a 993, same soul as the tt, just a few less G's.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Skytop
Racer

Todd:
Yes, I stand corrected. Thanks.
Gregg, fella you just gotta lighten up a bit.
Cheers to all.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

As everyone has said - this is a no brainer. A 993TT for $60K with mileage in the 40,000 range is a great deal - even if the car has some minor cosmetic issues. I tend to think that the 993TT has a better chance of being a collectable down the line than the S cars. Many of the TTs get driven harder and get tracked, meaning that there will be less around in the future. It seems that a disproportionate number of S cars just gather dust. The 993TT was a very limited production car as well, with only a few thousand brought to the U.S. Just about every air-cooled Porsche fanatic that has driven a 993TT will tell you it is the car where Porsche finally put it all together.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:47 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm....I am getting mixed signals here.

I am hearing (from collectors and car brokers (buyer)) that the 1998 C2S is the most desirable car. They say the Turbo is not as much fun on backroads, etc and that it is heavy and overheats in traffic. They claim that the prices of the Turbos have dropped DRAMATICALLY v.s. the C2S cars over the past 18 months.

Then I am hearing here that the Turbo (even a higher mile example that might need some work) is the better buy.

Personally, I am now leaning towards buying the finest example that I can find of a particular model...and that means the C2S....rather than buying one of the lower-priced examples of a more expensive model. My thought is that quality is more important than quantity.

I think that the bottom line is that this is very subjective.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Hi Doug,

I think you got it right:

[quote]"I think that the bottom line is that this is very subjective"<hr></blockquote>

Not everybody prefers a 993TT over a 993 C2S (although the majority do prefer the 993TT).. it's all a matter of your personal preference.

Be happy with whatever you decide

Quick Reply: What to do with $60K.....?