Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 seat and Sabelt harness install (long and lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default GT3 seat and Sabelt harness install (long and lots of pics)

I wanted to post some pics of my GT3 seats and harnesses for those of you considering these mods for your track/street car. Since my car is not a pure track car (yet), I wanted to retain a finished, factory look and accomplished this by finding a set of used leather seats. The seller also threw in the Sabelts for free and, although I would have probably gone with black or blue harnesses if I had a choice, I have to say I really like the look of the red on black. Some have said that the GT3 seats look too modern in the dated cabin of the 993, but, with the harnesses, I think they look like rolling sex.

If you look at one of the seats out of a car and from the front, the shape looks like an alien head. Rather weird, but once in the car it's not an issue, although visibility is slightly reduced by the large shoulder wings/alien heads.

Installation took a good bit of time to try and figure out how to get the seats to the lowest point possible to give me the most headroom. (I'm 5' 11".) Originally, they came out of a Boxster/996 and had the stock side panels. I had read here that I would have difficulty in getting them to fit into a 993 but I'm happy to say that those reports were greatly exaggerated, the seats fitting right onto the body mounts without any problem. However, the Boxster/996 side panels keep the seat too high and too upright, jamming my helmeted head against the roof and not providing enough thigh support.

I then tried the Brey-Krause side panels (drivers' side-R9079, passenger's side-R9078). They angle the seats back more than stock and lower the seats by about 3/4". This change was still not enough, so I ended up removing all of the foam in the seat cushions (the ones that your butt rests on and not the thigh support panels) and putting some very thin 1/2" foam in the forward part of the panels to provide a little bit of cosmetic support. Without any foam in the panels, the leather lacks fullness and gets a little bit wrinkly. The leather panels are actually pretty darn thick and, while not as comfy as the Recaro foam, I was able to do multiple back-to-back 20 minute sessions while driving at VIR without any keister numbness or fatigue.

Finally, I added about four or five washers underneath the forward part of the seat silders to angle the seats even more. I had to find a set of longer bolts that my mechanic, Gennadyy Soykher, acquired for me.

By using the Brey-Krause panels, removing the foam and adding the washers, I was able to give myself enough headroom to comfortably drive with a helmet on. Do I have enough headroom? No, I could stand to drop down another 1/2" to 3/4". But it works and will have to do until someone fabricates a better set of side panels.

(Speaking of which, I met Colin Dougherty, maker of the DAS roll bars, at VIR this weekend who said he is manufacturing a set of seat adapters that will do a much better job of lowering the seats. Unfortuately, they are not ready to be sold. His website is Das Sport. No affiliation or compensation or group buy desired; just want to provide info for those of you considering going to race seats.)

I almost forgot to mention that you'll need to buy the Brey-Krause outside seatbelt adapter mounts (R9003) so you can get the longer bolts to mount both the race harnesses and stock belts. The inner seatbelt latches attach right to the sides of the Brey-Krause side panels and uses the 996/Boxster bolts. The bolt head kind of rubs the carpet but it fits. Sorry, no photos of this.

I have six point sub belts that I attached to the seat rails. Not legal for racing but it will have to do while I find the correct sub belts and chassis attachment hardware.

One thing I haven't figured out is whether the airbags will go off in an accident. None of the wiring from the GT3's mated with the 993 electrics. If the car doesn't get a signal detecting an occupant, I'm guessing the airbag will not go off. My seatbelt warning light has not come on at all.

<EDIT> I forgot one more thing: the stock seats weigh 62 lbs each, while the GT3's weigh 33 lbs each. That nearly 60 lb difference offsets my DAS bar.

The seats and harnesses are incredible. Everything you've heard about them are true, their greatest asset being that connected-to-the-car feeling. There's a biomechanical harmony that makes you feel like a total system, in touch with the machine and road. It goes without saying that there's no sliding around, but the other cool thing is the ability to adjust the seat and harnesses while driving. I couldn't do that when I did that trick where you cinch the stock belts as you slide the seats forward. That technique works 60% well, but the harnesses and seats give you that extra 40%; it makes a difference.

If I didn't drive the car on the track, these seats might be too much of a pain to deal with. You have to grab the door sill with your left hand to lever your body up so that your butt doesn't slide against the leather side and wear it out. It requires a good bit of limberness. And while svelte passengers can slide in the back, it's a tight fit. Of course, the roll bar precludes any riders in back anyway.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-02-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:48 PM
96P993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.....I wish someone would buy the Cobra Misano seats so I could decide which seats to buy.....I need a guinea pig
Old 12-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Sorry the photos are so damn big. I'll try to resize.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*drool*
Old 12-01-2003, 08:53 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,

Install looks great; very "factory" looking! One question: (not knowing if this is a consideration for your situation) what will the female significant other think of dealing of a six-way harness to go for a nice ride in the country? I don't think mine would fancy the setup herself....
Old 12-01-2003, 08:56 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

drool^2
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 PM
96P993
Pro

David it looks as though the factory belts are still in the car..I would guess you could take the 5 points out and take the better wherever she wanted...Function and performance, what more could you want from a seat??
Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Okay, I fixed the size issue. I hate having to move the page back and forth to read text.

Thanks, guys. Chris, those Cobras look sweet, especially the metal sides. I've never seen them in person, though.

David - I still have the factory belts, so I have had no complaints. Also, If I'm not mistaken, racing harnesses are not DOT legal to use on the street.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Mark,
Looks good. I like the idea of keeping the factory 3 points for daily use. I don't have the feature with my sparco evo 2's. Its becoming a RPITA! I wonder where I can get a set of GT-3's?????****turning on the "bat"light, and aiming it over Royce city TX*****
Old 12-01-2003, 09:15 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Mark,

The car looks fantastic. I have also been considering an eventual seat upgrade and love the Gt3 seats.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I have been really happy with the Cobra Imola 2 GT's. I ended up making plates that bolt the side brackets directly to the floor, gaining yet another 3/4" of the ever so coveted headroom. The passenger side uses Sparco sliders. The seats side by side in the car look almost the same height, but are really noticeably different once you sit in the car. I'll try to find some pics to post.

I will say its a world of difference feeling much more connected with the car and realizing whats going on beneath you. I love it!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:54 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Mark - how much is a pair of the Brey-Krause adapters? any idea of how much the DAS adapters will cost?

TIA
Old 12-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

David - I have no idea how much the Das Sport adapters will be, but the B-K stuff was $144 per seat for the side panel adapters, and $65 for the outside seatbelt mounts. I got them from OG Racing.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post Mark. The pictures look very good, as does the car.

I have the Evo 2's also and I retained the use of the factory belts. No way was I going to belt up with the 6 point harnesses on the street, not to mention the fact that as Mark pointed out, they're not for street use. (DOT)
Old 12-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Sam. I can't wait to see and sit in your new set up.

Quick Reply: GT3 seat and Sabelt harness install (long and lots of pics)