Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 seat and Sabelt harness install (long and lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam N,
Hmmm Thanks...I didn't realize there was enough room between the shell and the console to mount the stock seat belt reciever.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

drool ^3.

phil, you can get GT3 seats adapted for 993 from gerts.

"what will the female significant other think of dealing of a six-way harness to go for a nice ride in the country?" BONDAGE.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by mooty

"what will the female significant other think of dealing of a six-way harness to go for a nice ride in the country?" BONDAGE.
EXACTLY! You know, some women more than kind of like it. We call it "having the need."

The need is so rare, but so good.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:00 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

"...None of the wiring from the GT3's mated with the 993 electrics. If the car doesn't get a signal detecting an occupant, I'm guessing the airbag will not go off. My seatbelt warning light has not come on at all..."

Does anyone know if the seats from Gert which have the 993-specific sliders still have this problem?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:06 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark -

The final install looks great! Thanks for posting some pics.

At the DIY in a couple weeks be sure to bring you PCar so I can see if my fat *** will fit in those seats comfortably!

Later

Skip
Old 12-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Re: GT3 seat and Sabelt harness install (long and lots of pics)

Originally posted by Mark in Baltimore

One thing I haven't figured out is whether the airbags will go off in an accident. None of the wiring from the GT3's mated with the 993 electrics. If the car doesn't get a signal detecting an occupant, I'm guessing the airbag will not go off. My seatbelt warning light has not come on at all.
Mark in looking at the wiring diagrams, the air bag system for MY95 & MY96 have no passenger detection. The systems look like first generation airbags. Things changed for MY97 & MY98 cars, these are more like the 996/986 models. There is child seat and a recognition seat assignment passenger sensor.

If there was/is an issue with your airbag system that would prevent them from going off, you would have the warning light on your dash.

I also noticed the lack of wires to the seat belts when installing my Pole Positions, not like my Boxster (where if you forget to plug in the seat belt, your airbag light will be on once you put the key in.)

Todd
Old 12-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Phil - sorry I somehow missed your post on the first page. As I'm sure you know, Gert sells the GT3's. They also occasionally come up on eBay. Additionally, some of the dealers sell them for not much more than I paid, which was $2500 including the harnesses. I was lucky enough to score them from a guy I met at VIR a few months ago. He lived 45 minutes away and since was able to deliver the seats to me on our last day there, shipping was "free".

Dave - sorry, I'm not sure. Try emailing Gert. I'm guessing that the GT3 seats he has for the 993 will go in easily.

Skip - will do. I'm looking forward to the get-together. BTW, I LOVE those HID's! Thanks again for your time.

Todd - thanks for the info. So, does that mean if I crash, both airbags will go off, even if there is no passenger?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark:

Have you considered bolting the driver seat to the floor? You won't be able to adjust it but if you are the only driver....
Old 12-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hi, Kristoffer,

Yeah, I did consider the direct bolt-in, but didn't want to have to hire the local neighborhood kids to clean my rear window. Also, since my car is still a street car, I wanted to be able to change my seating position depending on whether I was on the track or road. I drive closer to the wheel on the track, a position that is way too confined for the street.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil,

You are correct in that it is a tight fit, but it does work. Its not that bad and having the ability to use the factory belts is important to me. Not only for the local PD, but also for not attracting anymore 'ricer' attention to myself if that is possible with Supercups, DAS bar, numbers on the front and side, etc.

My mom says I was dropped on my head as an infant and that it has led to this 'disorder.'

Sam
Old 12-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice Mark!! since the rear seats are not accesible anymore, did you remove them(I can't quite see from the pix)?

..got to wipe off the drool

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 12-02-2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mike,

The folding seatbacks are gone, but the bottoms remain.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally posted by Mark in Baltimore

Todd - thanks for the info. So, does that mean if I crash, both airbags will go off, even if there is no passenger?

Mark,
I would say yes, there's nothing in the system for the MY95/96 cars to tell the airbag controller what seats are filled or if the seat belts are on or not. Current systems will compensate for a passenger not buckled.

Todd
Old 12-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dave I

Does anyone know if the seats from Gert which have the 993-specific sliders still have this problem?
Yes, Gert has the correct sliders, and they install with no problem at all.

Here are pictures of mine, prior to installing the DAS:

Old 12-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Vaughan
Yes, Gert has the correct sliders, and they install with no problem at all.
So did you also gain about 1" of additional headroom with the 993-specific sliders?

Quick Reply: GT3 seat and Sabelt harness install (long and lots of pics)