Sponsored by:

what to expect next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
stuartg
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to expect next?

I am so glad that i found this forum, as i need some good 993 advice.

9 months ago i purchased a 95 cab with 66,000 miles from a local Porsche dealer and paid to certify it for the one year warranty($2500). This was the best $2500 i have ever spent. Upon certifiying the car they found an oil leak and pulled the motor and re-sealed it. The warranty has also covered a bad ignition coil and a bad a/c head unit.

I have also put in a new clutch and flywheel at 68,000. The car now has 76,000 miles on it and is an absolute blast to drive(daily).

The car is using a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles and i have mentioned the higher usage to the service dept. and they tell me that all of these cars use different amounts of oil and not to be worried, that when they re-sealed the motor the tech.s would have replaced the valve guides if they appeared worn. Does this sound right? or what tests could i have performed to test this short of opening up the motor. The motor runs great and shows no sign of any problems.

Am i over the hump as far a major service issues or am i just getting started? i am seriously addicted to this car and could only replace it with another. Do i sell it and get another maybe with lower miles?

sorry for the long post
Old 12-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Stuart

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read on this board
800 to 1000 miles per quart sounds high for a 993.
You should ask the dealer for compression and leakdown tests.
They might balk, seeing as if they find worn valve guides they're
going to have to cover them under the warranty...Which would
definitely make that warranty the best $2500 you spent. I also
understand that carbon buildup on the valves themselves can mess
up the seating of the valves and let oil through.

Good luck!!

BTW...Out of curiosity what symptoms did your car display
to warrant replacing the ignition coil?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a lot of oil use.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 PM
stuartg
3rd Gear

under moderate acceleration the motor would just instantly lose rpm's, it actually would happen quite violently. it would hit about 4000rpm then just drop down to 1000, if i didn't back off the throttle it would stall. the check engine light would never come on and it would only happen at random. The first time they replaced the dme, and then it came back about 2 weeks later and they replaced the ignition coil it appears to have worked as it hasn't happened since(4 weeks).
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

I would have a third party do the compression/leakdown... I wouldn't ask the party that wrote the warranty to pay for it.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:20 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

To answer your question about other likely issues, check the AC and oil cooler fan ballast resistors. They are very common points of failure.

There are many threads on this but you could start here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...IY+relay+speed

Also, search for the wiring harness recall issue. This thread will help: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=18112

Then there's the lower valve cover gaskets oil leaks.

There may be carbon buildup issue. See for example: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=91905

Finally, there's the steering rack leak: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=98182

Don't mean to scare you, but these seem to be the most common problems so worth checking if you are still covered under warranty.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:31 AM
WelshChris
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to mention the door check-straps Graham - just had mine done - £600.00, of which Porsche paid half on a 'goodwill' basis.

Chris

Quick Reply: what to expect next?