993 Forum 1995-1998

Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

David,

I spoke to Get this AM and looked at the Tire Rack's website info on the H&R's.

Gert said that the H&R's will lower the car about 1.6" (40 mm) this is close to the Tire Rack's estimate of 1.4".

Gert also said that the M030 springs will lower that car about 1.2" (30mm).

Ditto from Gert on your comment about a "stiffer" ride from the M030's versus the H&R's.

I'm not sure which way to go on the springs. I am also concerned with "slamming" the car down too low.

I need to do some measurements to see if the H&R's are too risky, although they seem preferred from a ride standpoint
Old 11-26-2003, 10:41 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike:

This is helpful - thank you.

Most importantly, at least for me, it confirms that the H&Rs will lower the car more than I can live with. The roads here in Chicago can be, shall we say, "uneven," and I'd guess that upstate NY's roads can be similarly primative, so it sounds like we're in the same boat.

I'm hoping Gert will shortly respond to my email in which I tried to get him to give me some feel for how much stiffer the M030s are. That said, given the lowering issue, it'll likely be M030s for me. I think Viken was a proponent of the M030 setup, but I also believe that he lives in SoCal, where the roads can be somewhat more forgiving. Viken - any insights here?

BTW, in a slightly different direction, our good friend KeithR3 kindly let me drive his beautiful C4S with HDs and Eibach springs and I can report that the ride comfort was really terrific - much, much better than my stock setup. Thanks again, Keith. I include this datapoint as I'd guess that the Eibachs might be a pretty good proxy for the ride comfort with the H&Rs, confirming your impression.

For me, though, I may just have to jar my teeth out with the M030s (just kidding).

Thanks again, Mike.

Any of you other 'Listers have some color here?

Again, regards to all and a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:55 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

David and Guys,

Jeff Anderholm in Maine just did the Bilstein HD's and H&R install on his 1996 C2. He sent me an email that may be some help. Here it is....

"Can’t measure the car since I JUST put it away in storage. The car was set to the highest setting possible.

But I will tell you that the ‘advertised’ amount of lowering was about 1.5in. When the service tech installed the Bilsteins and the H&R Sports it ended up settling just a bit to about 2in lower than US stock height. It’s not bad…it cleared the alignment machine and I’ve not nicked the bottom on any bumps, etc. In the spring I will install a front protection bar just for safety sake (available from Performance Products)".
Old 11-26-2003, 11:09 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not good to hear.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
You've got mail. If you know how to post pictures, please do so as I sent you four pictures of my car with the H&R ride height.

These pics might help you, David in Chicago and speedraser come to some conclusion. My car still has the original 17" Factory cups so I feel there is still plenty of room. I actually prefer the low look, so I will complement the current suspension with some 18's after Christmas.

Let me know if you or one of the others can post the pics.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-26-2003, 11:27 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Robert,

Thanks for the photos. I tried to post them here, but even one at a time the server says that "the file that you have tried to attach is too big. The maximum size is 110400 bytes."
Old 11-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Thanks for trying. I'll e-mail them to Robin and see if he can put them on my page on his site.

Robert
Old 11-26-2003, 12:06 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Robert, you have mail. Send pics to me and I'll modify and post in this thread.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:28 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Mike
I've no experience w/the H&Rs, but as a data pt, I remain very pleased w/my coupe w/HD Bilsteins & RoW M030 springs/sways after 1.5 yrs incl. 12+ DE days. On 18" wheels, ride height (about 1" lowered from stock) has been excellent for urban conditions w/very rare driveway FPB contact. Ride quality is stiff but w/good road contact over uneven surfaces at speed. It is neither jarring nor too abrupt. In short, a comfortable highway cruiser, DE track car, & daily urban schlepper. Here are comparison photos (pre Euro TT nose):

Old 11-26-2003, 12:44 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Thanks a million for the info and the photos are a big help. I believe that 1" will suffice to satisfy me, so I'm pretty sure I'll add the M030 springs to the Bilstein HD's already on the car.

My concern with the M030 was the ride, but you sound very positive about that. I will add Gert's FPB as a safety precaution.

My best to you and your family - hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:34 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Mike
Since ride quality is so subjective, why not hop into your Bonanza & drop by for a test drive? Hope you & yours also have a great holiday weekend.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike,

Are you driving your car with the Bilsteins and stock springs? What do you think of the ride quality with that setup?

Chris.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Dan:
Thanks for the invite. I'll bring the Pinot. You'd like the Bonanza, it's the "Cadillac of the Sky".

Chris:
Yes, right now my car has the Bilsteins and stock springs. I only drove the car for 45 minutes directly from the shop to the hangar for storage after the HD's were installed. And that was highway, so I really am not a good source. It is quite a bit firmer, but I had the OEM (green) shocks with 27,000 miles. I am going to add the M030 springs to the Bilsteins in the next week or two. Could have done this all at once if I had done my homework. Live and learn.....
Old 11-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey fluid15, I'm back at home. Shoot me your e-mail so I can send them to yu. Send it to smithster@comcast.net .

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-27-2003, 12:28 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This post really has me wondering what to do. My car's ride is very jarring, rough and non-compliant. The previous owner put the H&R's on with the stock (M030) shocks. Logically (I thought) because the H&R's lowered the car more than the M030 set up, I figured the H&R's provided a 'rougher' ride (logic being there was less suspension travel with the H&R's since they lowered the car the most). But it looks like the consensus of opinion by Gert and others is that the H&R's will provide a 'better' ride than the M030. I was going to go to the stock springs with new shocks but perhaps I'll just replace the shocks and keep the H&R's.

For those of you who know more about suspension than me (which is probably most of you), is the jarring ride of my car due mainly to worn out shocks as opposed to the fact that is lowered with the H&R's?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

chuck

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!