Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 02:25 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!

Guys,

I admit being a suspension idiot, so I could use some help with this problem.

A few months ago I purchased a set of 2 special front HD shocks and 2 rear shocks (Bilsteins) from Gert. These are for my 1997 993 C2 with the standard M032 suspension set up. My car had the OEM (green) shocks from the factory.

I thought that these special threaded Bilstein shocks were supposed to allow me to lower the car slightly (maybe 1/2" or so all four wheels), just to take away some of the SUV look. I was under the impression that these shocks alone would do the trick, with no other changes being required.

My shop was not able to accomplish this.

The front shocks were installed and the car was left at the same ride height as original. My shop said that they could have used the Bilstein threaded shocks to lower the car slightly, but since they could not lower the rear they did not want to "rake" the car.

The rear shocks were installed, but the shocks cannot be used to lower the car at all, due to the interference between the lower shock "perch" and the sway bar. My shop set this up to comply with the "X" dimension in the write up that Gert had sent me. The result is the same ride height as originally or perhaps slightly higher.

I am wondering what I should do in order to allow my shop to lower the car
(again, just a 1/2" or so).

I do have an email and call into Gert about this and spoke to Viken (thanks !!) last night. But it doesn't seem like anyone has tried to lower their cars a bit using these shocks AND the standard M032 suspension.

Help from someone would be appreciated. If you can help. please post a reply or if it's easier, just call me at the office at 800-333-0519 x 106.

Thanks everyone.

Mike Capocefalo
Auburn NY
Old 11-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you get new springs as well?

Chris.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Chris,

No. I kept the stock springs in place. Do I need to change the springs as well to make this work?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My understanding is that to properly lower a 993 you must replace the springs. In addition, you may also need to replace your sway bars and drop links. I have not done this myself (just read a bunch on how to do it), so I'm hoping someone else will chime in to verify.

Chris.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 640 Posts

You will need to buy the springs also. You have the best shocks you can get. The problem Bilstein had in the past was, they didn't have enough thread to set the springs low enough. Now they do. I am far from an expert buy, its my understanding the springs do the lowering and the shocks do the damping. (as a general rule)
Old 11-25-2003, 04:11 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe you should have new drop links to go with your shocks.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:25 PM
janderholm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put Bilstein HDs and H&R Sport Springs on my 96 993 C2. You need the springs to lower the car. In my case, it lowered it about 1/2 inch more than I expected...but it rides great...nice and taut.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:32 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

janderholm (and guys)

Thanks for the help. I spoke to Gert and he said that I would need the springs. He recommended the H&R as well for the best ride option.

janderholm, could you give me specifics on your ride height? I am concerned with going too low. If you could call me it would be a big help. 800-333-0519 x 106

Mike
Old 11-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Mike, I would be interested in your final setup when you are done since I am considering the HD's and I also do not want to go too low (driveway).
Old 11-25-2003, 10:37 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Kevin
Send me a note with your email and I'll drop you a note when I get it done. I can send some photos and final measurements.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:44 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey mike cap,
I've got the reverse of what you have right now. I have the H&R Springs with the stock springs and the ride height is awesome. I admit when I first picked up the car I thought it was REALLY low, but about an hour later I knew I had the right look. The only problem then was a mismatch on the shocks and springs like you have now, only the reverse. Mine was a handling issue, yours was looks.

I just ordered the Bilstein HD's from Gert as well. I have heard the HD's and the H&R Springs are the best matchup you can get without going to adjustable coil-overs. I am installing mine next week and will let you know how it goes.

As far as ride height, I would not want it any other way. Even with the soft factory shocks, it still does not bottom out, it just bounces a little under hard cornering. The HD's will fix that, as well as the turbo sway bar upgrade I got from Gert as well.

I do NOT know how to post a pic but can e-mail you one of my ride height if you wish. I have a red 1996 993 Carrera 2 cab, but the pics on Robin's site are pre-H&R. Let me know.

Robert
Old 11-26-2003, 01:32 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

I have a set of H&R springs that are probably going to come off my car in January. My car came with the M030 set up but the previous owner replaced the U.S. M030 springs with H&R's. I believe the specs say they lower the car 1.4" in front and 1.3" in rear. To me, my car is pretty low. And it rides pretty rough because the shocks are gone.
My car currently has 19K miles and since it came with the M030's and H&R''s were added later, presumably the H&R's have less than 19K.
I took logic in college-that is how I was able to come up with this brilliant conclusion.
If you are interested, PM me.
How do you like the ride with stock springs and the bilsteins? This may be the direction I am going in. Since everyone else is going down and I'm going up, I may also be a suspension idiot.

chuck
Old 11-26-2003, 02:50 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

I'm trying to decide between the RoW M030 and the H&R Sport springs. I'd use the Bilstein HDs either way. I have heard that they match the H&Rs well, but I've also heard that the HDs were specifically designed to replace the factory M030 shock. If that's the case, I would think there is no better shock/spring match than the RoW M030 and HDs. Also, from what I've read and heard, the H&Rs lower the car more than the RoW M030.

BTW, I've heard conflicting reports about the ride -- some say the M030 is stiffer than the H&Rs, some say it's the other way around.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin: I recd your email and will post a report to you and here when I have the lowering springs (probably H&R) installed with the Bilstein HD's.

Robert: I would appreciate a photo of your ride height. My email is m.capocefalo@auburnarmature.com. Thanks.

Chuck: I've only driven the car 30 miles with the Bilstein's and stock springs. The ride was firmer but not uncomfortable and the handling was fantastic.

Todd: Thanks for the info. Gert told me on the phone yesterday that the H&R's will produce a better ride than the M030 springs. My big concern is getting the H&R springs and then not being able to keep the car up as HIGH as I want. Sounds strange, but you know about our lovely roads up here. I will call Gert again and ask which spring allow the "highest" lowered ride.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:06 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys:

I'm having exactly this dialogue with Gert via email.

Like Robert and Chuck, I want the performance advantages of the Bilstein HD + lower springs combo, but I'm very concerned about too much lowering. On this basis, I've been focusing on the M030 springs over the H&Rs, as the M030s appear to provide about 1" of lowering, with the H&Rs providing 1.25" or so.

Now I'm starting to hear that the M030s provide a stiffer ride than the H&Rs, and I'm trying to understand what "stiffer" means. Anyone know the respective spring rates? Or can anyone provide a subjective description of how stiff the M030s are? Or how stiff the M030s are vs. the H&Rs? (all of the above with the Bilstein HDs).

And most importantly - a Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!