993 Forum 1995-1998

Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O.K. I'm gonna try this.... we'll see if a pic show up. I've never done it before

Robert, the technically challenged....
Old 11-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn, it worked....now I wish I had had Robin post the bigger size pics, so you could really see the detail, damn!!

Robert
Old 11-27-2003, 02:28 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Viken,

I am fairly sure I remember you stating that the RoW M030 gave a "better" ride than the H&R Sport springs (with Bilstein HDs as a constant), but I don't want to speak for you. Am I right or wrong?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:20 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Todd,

With the Bilstein HD's as a constant, Gert said that the H&R's would provide a "better" ride than the M030's. He defined "better" as a softer and less jarring ride. I wish now I had asked Viken that question.

I ordered the M030 springs and a FPB from Gert yesterday and should have them installed in a week or two. I would have preferred the H&R's for the promise of a better ride, but was concerned with the discussions and my research on how low the car would end up.

You are welcome to drive the car (WX permitting) if you are in Ithaca in a few weeks. That would give you the exact set up on the same C2 to try out. The car will be at the hangar in Cortland.

Have a nice holiday and stay in touch.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

mikecap and others, what's your opinion of the ride height on my cabriolet?? Is that too low for you, or about what you thought it would be?

Robert
Old 11-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Speedraser
I am fairly sure I remember you stating that the RoW M030 gave a "better" ride than the H&R Sport springs (with Bilstein HDs as a constant), but I don't want to speak for you. Am I right or wrong?
I'm not sure if I said that. It seems that my 993 is gone and it took my memory along with it.

This is what I think and, take this for what it's worth. The H&R lowering springs are softer and lower the car a bit more than ROW M030 given the same spring perch location. Initially, the ride with the H&R's will seem to be better. But, as the spring compresses, that ride might deteriorate a bit. Especially, if the car's ride height is set rather low where the suspension travel is less than optimal. Unless a damper is designed specifically to work with a shorter spring, it might contribute to a harsher than acceptable ride for the lack of suspension travel. This is why I prefer the slightly taller factory springs. My C4S had these dampers along with the ROW M030 and the ride height was set at RS specs. It was near perfect in every way but not without a slightly rough ride atop some rough segments of the roads.

In conclusion, the choice of springs depends on your driving style and requirements. If all you want is to lower your car and maintain a relatively compliant ride, the H&R springs will fit the bill quite nicely. And, if you thought the car was too low, at least with these shocks, you have the ability to play with the ride height a bit.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:51 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe Viken you had posted the solution of the problem that the HD's are not really matching well the shorter Euro M030 springs. I guess a search will suffice for those interested exploring this "problem" further which was discussed extensively last year.
From my own experience I saw how the HD's fit with the Euro M030 springs and although I did not like the fitment ,because the spring does not sit properly in my opinion, BUT I really liked the way the car rode, it was firmer but in no way stiff or jarring with this combo. By comparison my H&R coilover shod cabrio is much stiffer...
As for the ride height perseption, I can honestly say that 2 years later riding in RS height with the cabrio and even lower with the track car I have never hit anything on the road. True I'm very carefull riding speed bumps and I do take my driveway at an angle.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
I believe Viken you had posted the solution of the problem that the HD's are not really matching well the shorter Euro M030 springs. I guess a search will suffice for those interested exploring this "problem" further which was discussed extensively last year.
Danny,

You might be referring to the front shocks which did not have enough threads to lower the car more than 1/2" with the ROW M030 springs. Yes, I posted a solution for that but Mike has the newer special HD's with more threads and there should be no problem with those.

As to the HD's being a good match with the factory springs, at least in terms of damping, there is no question about it.

The original version is the one on the left. All pics are copyright www.carnewal-europe.com:

Old 11-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Viken,
Thanks for the clarification and explanation. I'm thinking the RoW M030 w/ HDs is the way I'll go -- I like that the HDs were specifically designed to replace the factory M030 shock (assuming I'm correct about that -- I read it somewhere).
BTW, are you sadder that your 993 is gone or that your memory may have gone with it? I trust you're enjoying the GT3.

Mike,
Thanks for the offer -- I'd love to experience what the new suspension feels like. As usual, I have no idea when I'll be in town, but I'll definitely let you know when it happens. I'm still looking forward to that dinner.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Mike,

Are you getting the M030 stabilizer bars to go with the shocks and springs?
Old 11-27-2003, 03:05 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Todd,

I am not changing the stabilizer bars. Please don't tell me I need another component !!
Old 11-27-2003, 03:28 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Robert,

I meant to tell you yesterday when you sent me the photos how great your car height looked. I like the height where you have it, but you are (I think) blessed with better road than we have. You certainly don't have the dreaded spring pot holes and "frost heaves". I would like to lower my car to the height you have, but it's too risky here I think.

You have a beautiful car - you should be very proud of it. Looks like you take great care of it.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Mike,

You need another component.

Actually, I don't know whether you need the bars. I do know that Gert sells the M030 "package," and that it does include the bars.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:46 PM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think about how much the M030 bars cost - think of how much you'll SAVE by resisting the RS adjustables!
Old 11-27-2003, 03:53 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Jim and others...

I stipulated (Dan, how do you like that?) at the beginning of this thread to being a suspension idiot.

Seriously, do I need to change stabilizer bars to go with the Bilstein HD's and M030 springs?

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD Shock Question. Help!!