Riviera Blue TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 06:48 AM
WelshChris
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Riviera Blue TT

Once again listed on Ebay is that Beautiful Riviera blue 993TT - I would die for this car - what a fabulous colour.

Could someone tell me why it seems to be permanently 'for sale'? - Is the guy asking too much for it, or is it some sort of dog?

Just wondered.

Lovely TT - But too expensive?

Chris
Old 11-25-2003, 07:19 AM
willisit
Racer

Maybe it's the time of year?

The colour is definitely a taste thing.. I love it but some wouldn't! It's top money for that year too - They sell for that here in the UK.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:30 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty color ... maybe too pretty for a Turbo?

He mentions that the car was in the Porsche commercial on paint colors, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. I remember reading a story somewhere (Excellence?) on a firm that did wild custom show cars and Porsche race cars with a temporary paint that is easily removed, and that they worked with Porsche's advertising agency on that commercial, matching the guy's socks (although it did look like Riviera blue). But I think it was a narrowbody 993.

Vic
99 C2 cab
Old 11-25-2003, 07:32 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that car has been on eBay for quite awhile...seller was originally asking low 80s and it's still overpriced by 5-10K.

I have no idea if it has stories...I contacted the guy a few months back wanting to see the car...he said "sure, but give me your bank details so I can check that you have sufficient funds first"...yeah, right....
Old 11-25-2003, 07:56 AM
WelshChris
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David in LA
I contacted the guy a few months back wanting to see the car...he said "sure, but give me your bank details so I can check that you have sufficient funds first"...yeah, right....
Perhaps he's been burned by potential Ebay buyers before, after all it has been listed almost constantly for the last few months, but it's a bit of a bloody cheek asking to see the colour of your money before you even look at the car!

Heaven help you if you'd asked for a test drive!

Chris
Old 11-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Lamborghini of Dallas had one and perhaps still does, they wanted 82k for it I believe and it had been there for over 6 mo's. Car had 5k on the clock. So I guess there are at least 2 like it out there.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is also another one at Newport Auto Center in So Cal that has been there for at least 3 months. The price keeps going down on it too. It is down to 89,995.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:39 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Too pretty for me. Inside and out.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:53 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

It's not uncommon to ask for proof that the seller can purchase a car before a test drive...especially on higher end cars. If and when I decide to sell my C4S I may do something similar just to weed out the dreamers.

I had a bad experience when I sold my TR8 a few years ago. Someone took the car for a test drive and I din't get it back for 3 days...after they damaged the transmission and dented the car.

If someone wants a "freebie drive" then drive a dealer car.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Maybe the price seems high, but it was stored in a "carpeted garage along with other high-end exotics". I myself hate the abrasive effects of concrete on tires. Although he doesn't specify whether it was **** or short knap carpet. **** is definitely better.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want it, I would approach it from the standpoint
that "its hedious but I would really like a TT" and offer a low
price. If it has been listed for that long they have to start
softening, or they're never going to sell it. Its hard enough
to sell one that is of a desirous color, much less an eye shocking
one like that.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like blue but not this blue. I liken it to pink or purple. I have seen a 993 in person in this color and did not like it at all. It may be rare, but I wouldn't be caught dead in it. Reminds me of the turquois Fords and Chevy's from the mid 50s.

But, that's just my personal taste and I've been told all my taste is in my mouth.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:34 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by billh1963
It's not uncommon to ask for proof that the seller can purchase a car before a test drive...especially on higher end cars. If and when I decide to sell my C4S I may do something similar just to weed out the dreamers.

I had a bad experience when I sold my TR8 a few years ago. Someone took the car for a test drive and I din't get it back for 3 days...after they damaged the transmission and dented the car.

If someone wants a "freebie drive" then drive a dealer car.
Bill - I have no problem with showing proof of funds before an actual test drive...as I stated previously though, seller would not even let me SEE the car unless he was permitted to speak to my banker to verify my assets. My liquid assets are sufficient so that I would not have had any problems meeting this hurdle of his, but his prequalification of my ability to afford this car just turned me off. Just as well though...I'm sure this car looks better in person than in pictures and I really don't want to be tempted by anything other than a yellow TT.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Stevarino,

While **** is good, unquestionably the best is a fine, persian rug, preferrably without the fringe. 100% wool, of course.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:07 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's still on Ebay because of Color, Color, Color and lastly Priced a bit too high because of Color.

Quick Reply: Riviera Blue TT