Sponsored by:

New Shoes - Surprised At Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:26 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Shoes - Surprised At Ride Quality

Anticipating my current tires aging out this year, I spent about a year debating myself over the next wheel and tire combo to buy for the 993. After bouncing back and forth between the retro fuchs look and ultra-light weight wheels, I decided to go function over form and chose the light weight route. Per the pictures below I spent time today installing the MPSS tires mounted on OZ Allegerita wheels. After the install I had a chance to put about 30 miles on the car.

The most interesting aspect of the change for me is in the ride compliance. I was worried the new lighter weight combination would give a harsher ride. The old setup was Dunlop Direzzas mounted on Porsche Sport Design (GT3 Mk1) wheels. To my surprise the ride is actually more compliant and enjoyable than the old combo. To keep my frame of reference I did not adjust the Motons at all (2 clicks rebound and 1 click compression) and will start messing around with adjustments next weekend (or the weekend after if I have to travel next weekend). I am a novice compared to some of you guys when it comes to suspension design and tuning, so my guess is either the MPSSs are simply better at absorbing shock, or the reduction in unsprung weight is allowing the suspension to do a better job, or some of both (?).

With only 30 miles on the new setup, and wanting to wait to push hard until the new tires have a few more miles, I don’t have a great feel for how much better the car performs. In addition to the ride being more compliant, the new setup certainly feels sharper, and the car feels like it wants to turn in more aggressively with the same amount of steering inputs.

BTW, the original plan was to go with black center caps and black lug nuts. However, the lug nut vendor (who will remain nameless) shipped me a polished set. After my 17 year old son and I mocked up a wheel with the grey/black Porsche crest center caps and polished lug nuts, we decided to go with the combo. We both think the contrasting finishes work. Worst case is they don’t work for me after a few weeks and I order the black lug nuts from a different vendor.

For those of you interested in the numbers:

- Old vs. new front wheel & tire weights: 46.4 lbs. vs. 40 lbs.
- Old vs. new rear wheel & tire weights: 53.6 lbs. vs. 46.2 lbs.
- Total unsprung weight reduction is 27.6 lbs.

At some point I need to get this car back on the scales. I am guessing I have taken out about 100+ lbs. between the interior mods and new wheel & tire setup.
Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Those wheels look great on your car! I almost bought the same wheels but ended up with the Enkei NT03+M because it allowed me to get 8.5" width in front. I wanted to experiment with wider tread widths front vs. rear.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to the World of Unsprung Weight Reduction.

You made two major changes (wheels and tires) and both contributed to the improvements in ride quality.

I too, vote function over form as that pays the biggest dividends in ride, performance and handling since those things affect your driving enjoyment.

Well done, Matt!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 AM
mgerber
Pro

Thanks Tlaloc. My son and I were also very happy with the look.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
You made two major changes (wheels and tires) and both contributed to the improvements in ride quality.
Thanks Steve I was truly shocked at how much the ride quality improved and thought I would pass on the firsthand experience FWIW...
Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Great looking combo there. FWIW, The Direzzas are very stiff tires. I have them on my 17" Cup 2s. My car rides much better on 18s with Pole Positions.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 98 Posts
Default wheel clearance

Beautiful in form and function, Matt.

Seems perhaps to my novice eye that there's little clearance in the rear between the top of the tire and the wheel well. Given additional compliance and ? travel, is there a potential issue with rubber hitting metal?

Now for some "tasteful" in-house micro LED's to brighten things?

Best,

Fred
Old 08-07-2017, 01:25 PM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Great looking combo there. FWIW, The Direzzas are very stiff tires. I have them on my 17" Cup 2s. My car rides much better on 18s with Pole Positions.
Thanks and confirms my suspicions about the Direzzas.

Originally Posted by fsa
Seems perhaps to my novice eye that there's little clearance in the rear between the top of the tire and the wheel well. Given additional compliance and ? travel, is there a potential issue with rubber hitting metal?
Thanks Fred. With this combo there is significantly less clearance. It seems to me to be just enough, but I guess we will find out after I get the car out for a spirited drive
Old 08-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Jim.L.
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts

I like those wheels!
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2017, 04:31 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow - very sharp! Really a great looking combo.

As a fellow GR guy, I have been wondering what the black Porsche decal would look like and now I know this and how good black wheels can look as well!

Would you mind stating the wheel and tire sizes you have?

Thank you!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 PM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Wow - very sharp! Really a great looking combo.

As a fellow GR guy, I have been wondering what the black Porsche decal would look like and now I know this and how good black wheels can look as well!

Would you mind stating the wheel and tire sizes you have?

Thank you!
Thanks.

Going from memory as I am on a plane heading to the East Coast and will not be home for a few days:

Fronts are 18X8 with 50 offset
Rears are 18X10 with 65 offset

Tires are the 18" sizes recommended by Porsche (think the fronts are 225s and rears are 265s).

I bought the combo via TireRack, so if you get on the site it will tee up the wheel and tire specs when you select 18" wheel options.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That weight savings of the unsprung rotating mass on each corner, is fantastic!

I'm equally happy to hear someone chime in about the realization of the obvious performance gains.

Add in a LWFW and it could very well be close to the feeling of chipping the car, and a suspension upgrade!

Congratulations on a very intelligent UPGRADE! ☺
Old 08-10-2017, 01:56 PM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by nine9six
Congratulations on a very intelligent UPGRADE! ☺
Thanks! It is rare I get accused of doing anything along those lines these days
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts

What ride height are you set at? Love the new wheels!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
What ride height are you set at? Love the new wheels!
Not sure on the ride height. Suspension setup was sourced from Steve W, and installation was done by a friend that was the previous owner. If I get a chance to talk to him I will ask...
Old 08-10-2017, 09:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Thanks! It is rare I get accused of doing anything along those lines these days
Oh, I dont know about that...Seems the GT4 in Mexico Blau was smart too!

Quick Reply: New Shoes - Surprised At Ride Quality