Sponsored by:

993 Targa owners please respond

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 09:25 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 993 Targa owners please respond

Maybe I'm being a bit too demanding here, but the wind noise on my 993 Targa at 75+mph (targa roof closed) is something I really would like to fix. Its not that loud, but certainly not quiet either...

Are there any simple/moderately-easy fixes? Or is it the nature of the beast?
Old 11-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine whistles a bit, but to be honest the door window seals are worse. Maybe it is time to drill your airbox
Old 11-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Stu
Instructor

Mr.C,

Mine has slight wind noise as well....not too bad but a wee bit annoying. I just figure it's part of the Targa experience. Let me know if you come up with an easy fix.

Also, just saw your email about tire sizes.....I have yet to make my purchase, but when I do I'll probably go with 225ft and 265r. U?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:01 PM
ddixon2327
Advanced

I have spent considerable time an effort to fix the wind noise problem and this includes various types of rubber seals that I added to the main glass roof. I have used velcro and rubber seals that you can obtain from Home Depot or Lowes. These work good depending on your gap in the roof and the windvent. I have went with a single piece of rubber seal about 1/16 of a inch thick, which works well. this is placed over the existing seal. Also, I recommend closing the roof wind vent with the windows open and the car stopped or at a slow speed. This assists with the sealing and my roof has very little noise.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:17 PM
beto
Advanced

Yes mine does as well and I agree with Dixon as to when to close wind vent. Thanks for the tip on the rubber addition I'll try it in the spring as the baby Arena red is in hibernation. Beto 96 Targa
Old 11-23-2003, 11:30 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Stu,

I decided to stay with the stock size... I wasn't keen on the speedo being out of whack and Viken had a good point about the bulging taller sidewalls of a larger tire on the 17" wheel. I went with the S02A's, and I've been very impressed thus far..
Old 11-23-2003, 11:31 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

ddixon2327, could you post a picture of your modifications?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

ddixon is correct. Always close the wind vent when the car is parked. Also please check that when the glass roof is closed, push from the inside of the glass upward to confirm that there is no glass movement at all, as the piece of glass panel tends to get loose every one to two years. You need to push it upward all the way and then tighten the screws.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Mark '98 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's face it, a 993 is not exactly a quiet car - and I think that is just part of this breed. Perhaps it is my perspective since I first had a 993 Cab and then went to a Targa - the noice reduction wa significant. I do not notice much noise until over 100 MPH. At 140+ it really howls; but, those runs ar brief and infrequent. With that said, I notice the most air noise generated from the side window seals and then from the little black air deflector bar in the middle of the windscreen part of the Targa roof. Anyway, try replacing the side window seals and then just enjoy the breed. Mark
Old 12-03-2003, 01:34 PM
onslowsq
6th Gear

I just drove home my "previously enjoyed" 98 targa yesterday, which was an hour interstate drive. I too was surprised by the level of wind noise at about 80 mph, but found the top open driving remarkably quiet - not a bad trade off. I did notice, however, that around town over bumps there is a fair amount of noise from the windshield/dash area. Carfax shows no wrecks, and a friend with a 993 tells me his rattles a good bit too. I guess I am just surprised at the level of noises from the interior of the car. Is this typical of 993's? Also, is there any purpose for that black handle thing in the middle of the wind deflector strip of glass other than to increase the noise level?
Thanks,
Jay
Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jay,

How many miles on your car? Is the suspension stock? I can only speak for my Coupe, but at 53K miles it doesn't rattle at all (neither does my 68K mile 911SC Coupe).
Old 12-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Stu
Instructor

Jay,

My 98 is relatively quiet inside - no rattles or creaks to speak of.

I too have often wondered what in the heck that little black handle like thing on the top of the roof vent is for??!!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:43 AM
onslowsq
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies. It has 36,000 miles on it. I've only been able to drive it a few times, so I'm still figuring out where it is making noise. It seems more likely that the noise is coming from the roof near the front - probably a more typical targa problem than a dashboard rattle. I'm bringing it in today for a check-up by a local Porsche mechanic and I'll be interested to see what he thinks of the car. It is otherwise in great condition - the interior and exterior are almost like new. As soon as I figure out how to work the radio (missing radio manual) and get a handle on all of those oil gauges I'll be good to go. Other than the noise, that roof is the coolest thing I've ever seen in a car.
Jay
Old 12-04-2003, 12:29 PM
markc123
Instructor

My Targa is fairly quiet but I do have a few creaks and squeaks..I do notice that when I open the wind vent or crack a window I can feel a lot of cold air coming in from both the left and right door handles..Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I get a lot of squeaks from the windows in mine. Of course I live in New Orleans which has streets that any third world country would be embarrased by. I was thinking about putting in a strut brace to see if that would have any effect.
Markc, there is a fix for the air by the door handles you need to get two felt pieces from Porsche # 993 555 715 00 and read the DIY on Robin's site (p-car.com) or give me your email address and I will send it to you. It isvery easy to do and works like a charm.
Robert

Quick Reply: 993 Targa owners please respond