992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Personally I don't mind the digital cluster but they better add a Head up display. The entire time I drive my car I have no clue what speed I am doing because my eyes are on the windshield not the cluster.

The analog cluster is a complete waste of space. Anyone who is driving around looking at his instrument cluster is a threat to public safety.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 AM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Personally I don't mind the digital cluster but they better add a Head up display. The entire time I drive my car I have no clue what speed I am doing because my eyes are on the windshield not the cluster.

The analog cluster is a complete waste of space. Anyone who is driving around looking at his instrument cluster is a threat to public safety.
HUD cripple ? Join the club
Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I hope (maybe futile) that the 992 does not follow the new Panamera's interior personally. I know the design trend seems to be headed that way, but after sitting in the new Panamera I actually prefer the older interior with all the analog buttons and how it felt like an actual cockpit compared to how the new interior feels like a much nicer Tesla. Fingerprints galore, and it was too minimal for me... Just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I hope (maybe futile) that the 992 does not follow the new Panamera's interior personally. I know the design trend seems to be headed that way, but after sitting in the new Panamera I actually prefer the older interior with all the analog buttons and how it felt like an actual cockpit compared to how the new interior feels like a much nicer Tesla. Fingerprints galore, and it was too minimal for me... Just my opinion.
I agree. Feels cold and spartan to me, fingerprints everywhere gives it a utilitarian feeling when checking them out in showrooms. And I like the feeling of a "click" feedback, as there's no physical engineering response from a generic touchscreen (and I say generic because many of us spend all day touching touchscreens as it is).
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In my 991.1, even though the PCM is a touchscreen display, I never touch it. I don't think I could handle something in a car that was touchscreen-only. At least with the 991.1 there are physical buttons for every operation. The touchscreen part is just a convenience that I choose not to use.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
In my 991.1, even though the PCM is a touchscreen display, I never touch it. I don't think I could handle something in a car that was touchscreen-only. At least with the 991.1 there are physical buttons for every operation. The touchscreen part is just a convenience that I choose not to use.
I agree....used the touchscreen the first week of ownership and the OCD in me could not handle the constant sight of finger prints....so since then, I use the buttons to roll, scroll and click my way around the screen.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Carry a microfiber and small bottle interior spray in center console

Overall, not a fan of the all digital. The thing is, that's what appears to the mass buyers though. They care more about electronics and gadgets than other things.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These spy pics are worrisome. Ever since the 991, I feel the 911 is looking more and more like an Ecylpse. Not good.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:58 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
How do you enter addresses into the navigation system?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The giant Tach in the middle is on purpose. I can see it peripherally but can also feel when I need to shift if in manual mode. My speed is gauged more by just keeping up with traffic and being aware...
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

How do you enter addresses into the navigation system?
Spin the right **** and push it in when you are on the desired letter/number.

Quite frankly....its just as fast as the touch screen once you get used to it.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:24 PM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe you are all complaining about touch screens, finger prints and digital dashes. You will all be drooling over the new 992 Carrera S/GTS/GT3 when its released. Like you are not going to buy it...

Air cooled for life...6 speed or die...long live NA

Analog is dead.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by leanofpeak
Can't believe you are all complaining about touch screens, finger prints and digital dashes. You will all be drooling over the new 992 Carrera S/GTS/GT3 when its released. Like you are not going to buy it...

Analog is dead.
Well in their defenses, people have put their money where their mouths are.

Air cooled, certain 6 speed, certain N/A Porsche's have literally soared in value or been marked up hundreds of thousands of dollars simply because they're air cooled, 6 speed, or N/A, after new iterations launched without those elements.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Carry a microfiber and small bottle interior spray in center console

Overall, not a fan of the all digital. The thing is, that's what appears to the mass buyers though. They care more about electronics and gadgets than other things.
The problem with digital dashes is the accelerated obsoletecense. This will force accelerated refreshed and redesigns as digital technology is evolving at a perpetually increased pace that manufacturers will race to keep up with.

The jump from 991.1 to 991.2 infotainment systems; for example, will seem minuscule in comparison.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by leanofpeak

Analog is dead.
That's what they said about the 718 and 991.2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE