Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2024 | 03:36 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Porsche can claim that it's still a Bose system if Bose themselves designed it that way. I remember when Bose was available again after the shortage, my SA told me the new system was much inferior and didn't sound as good. So this would make sense now.

Edit: My guess is that OP did get some parts that are Bose, but it's not like the original Bose system pre-pandemic.

Last edited by Ikone; 10-08-2024 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
OMTarga4S (Yesterday), zachr (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 03:46 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shogunade
People keep mentioning QC. Is on purpose with deceit a part of QC? If OPs build was 2/24 and mine was 7/24 it's a fair possibility EVERY bose spec 992 has the ASK woofers.

EDIT: every Bose spec around that time frame

Well let’s see with builds between your dates which other Bose option cars have for drivers.
Old 10-08-2024 | 03:47 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

The Bose speakers you've shared photos of are from a Panamera, not a 911. Note that the first three digits of the part number are 971 rather than 992.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find that Porsche uses similar (or even identical) door panel speakers for the base and Bose systems. Perhaps the change to these ASK drivers is on more recent production units, since earlier vehicles with the Bose system were known to blow these door speakers pretty easily. I believe there's even a TSB to "fix" the older Bose units, after which owners reported worse bass response.
Old 10-08-2024 | 03:51 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darthm8
I smell class action
I got time. How do I start this?
Old 10-08-2024 | 03:57 PM
division
Rennlist Member

I got time. How do I start this?
​​​​
For the People, no fee unless we recover, and all that jazz. It's a toll-free call, too.

Old 10-08-2024 | 04:03 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by division
​​​​
For the People, no fee unless we recover, and all that jazz. It's a toll-free call, too.
Ronnie Munz!
Old 10-08-2024 | 04:05 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

yeah before we circle the wagons, light the torches and call in the militia we need somebody from a different model year or production period to verify that they actually have BOSE door speakers in a 911. Or have a dealer verify what should be in there.

I can see the difference between the stock and bose system being the amp and an extra speaker in the dash or something...
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Butzi (10-08-2024), zachr (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 04:24 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Pulled from a 992:

The following users liked this post:
x-ray (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 04:35 PM
division
Rennlist Member

Ronnie Munz!
Du.

The following users liked this post:
McNamara (Yesterday)
Old 10-08-2024 | 04:38 PM
sids
Intermediate

A ton of speaker manufacturers source their speaker drivers from elsewhere, you'd be surprised your name brand manufacturer actually using drivers from somebody like scanspeak (they are one of the best driver manufacturers). For eg. Bang and Olufsen uses ScanSpeak drivers in some of their high end speakers.

Its quite possible that Bose sourced ASK's drivers for as their OEM (they might have chosen to not rebrand them at some point of time) - the sound design / acoustics etc (if at all) comes from Bose, but materials can come from anywhere. Not defending them, but there might be a third party agreement which even Porsche might not want to control.

https://www.askgroup.global/en/products/car-speakers/
Old 10-08-2024 | 04:42 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zachr
The Bose speakers you've shared photos of are from a Panamera, not a 911. Note that the first three digits of the part number are 971 rather than 992.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find that Porsche uses similar (or even identical) door panel speakers for the base and Bose systems. Perhaps the change to these ASK drivers is on more recent production units, since earlier vehicles with the Bose system were known to blow these door speakers pretty easily. I believe there's even a TSB to "fix" the older Bose units, after which owners reported worse bass response.
Not a TSB, but a campaign apparently (distinction is unclear to me): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43637-0001.pdf
Old 10-08-2024 | 05:16 PM
WCE
User

The Bose system is more about the subwoofer and the DSP than the actual drivers used, see Porsche's description:

BOSE® Surround Sound System
The optional Bose® Surround Sound System, with 12 speakers including 100-watt shell-subwoofer and a total output of 570 watts, produces extremely balanced and original sound. The Centerpoint® 2 Surround Sound Technology makes it possible to play stereo sources in surround mode, creating a fascinating soundscape. AudioPilot® 2 Noise Compensation Technology ensures that the sound experience can be enjoyed regardless of the driving conditions. Driving noises are detected by a microphone and compensated for in real-time by means of a frequency dependent volume correction calculated through digital signal processing. The BOSE® SoundTrue Enhancement Technology familiar from other Porsche models is highly effective at counteracting the loss of quality through data compression – for example, in the form of MP3 compression – and thus increases sound quality and dynamics. This brings compressed music back to life. The sound becomes clearer and more spacious.

IMO when properly setup, the Bose is very adequate for this noisy car but without the Porsche tax should only be an $800 upgrade!

Last edited by WCE; 10-08-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2024 | 05:44 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

They may be using the same speakers in some locations as the base stereo. Bose generally uses very low quality speaker drivers across their products. Dr. Bose was a psychoacoustics expert and he figured out how to process and equalize sound to make low quality speakers sound decent...this is how Bose corporation became so successful.
Old 10-08-2024 | 05:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slc4s
yeah before we circle the wagons, light the torches and call in the militia we need somebody from a different model year or production period to verify that they actually have BOSE door speakers in a 911. Or have a dealer verify what should be in there.

I can see the difference between the stock and bose system being the amp and an extra speaker in the dash or something...
Originally Posted by sids
A ton of speaker manufacturers source their speaker drivers from elsewhere, you'd be surprised your name brand manufacturer actually using drivers from somebody like scanspeak (they are one of the best driver manufacturers). For eg. Bang and Olufsen uses ScanSpeak drivers in some of their high end speakers.

Its quite possible that Bose sourced ASK's drivers for as their OEM (they might have chosen to not rebrand them at some point of time) - the sound design / acoustics etc (if at all) comes from Bose, but materials can come from anywhere. Not defending them, but there might be a third party agreement which even Porsche might not want to control.

https://www.askgroup.global/en/products/car-speakers/

Good points and it may in fact be the case that it is Bose electronics, technology and software that are being purchased with the Bose option as well as speakers that meet Bose performance criteria rather than Bose speaker components specifically. If so, there should at the very least be some kind of small-print disclaimer since a reasonable person would be likely to conclude that a "Bose system" includes all Bose piece parts.
Old 10-08-2024 | 08:07 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

2020 Pros - Real Bose system and electric steering column. Cons - Premium package didn't come with surround camera or power mirrors and stupidly Porsche has insisted on not updating the dash gauges with the simplified view that 22+ offers. The Man giveth and taketh.

Quick Reply: Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.