Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:09 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C21ban
Putting stickers that show Made in Germany on top of the ASK when in fact that are not still seems a bit shady even if they do supply Bose
Sure but are they really so sloppy? Maybe the metal backbox/frame is made in germany and is designed to hold the Bose/ASK driver. Who knows…

Really only an experienced car audio installer can help on this. Not much chance a dealer to be able to even comment.
Old Yesterday | 08:12 PM
C21ban
Racer

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Sure but are they really so sloppy? Maybe the metal backbox/frame is made in germany and is designed to hold the Bose/ASK driver. Who knows…

Really only an experienced car audio installer can help on this. Not much chance a dealer to be able to even comment.
I don’t disagree and tempted to take apart one of the Bose drivers I removed from my Cayman w/ Bose just to look at the internals.

I doubt there is much difference between the two cars audio systems other than potentially some tuning but could be wrong.

Old Yesterday | 08:37 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

The only manufacturer I know of that builds all their speakers in house is Focal. All others will buy parts (speakers included) off the shelf from other companies.
Old Yesterday | 08:45 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Reminds me of when General Motors put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles and turbo 200 transmissions in place of turbo 350s without telling the customer.

Of the 5 Bose systems I’ve purchased in 5 Porsches, the 2021 Panamera is the worst but far. Now I’m wondering what I really have, in this pandemic car.
Old Yesterday | 09:14 PM
double-o-seven
Instructor

German honesty goes a long way ever since those famous sanitation "shower" rooms for newcomers somewhere in occupied Poland.

Of course, the "reformed" Germany and its "Clean Diesel" from the Hitler-founded company gave us wonderful nitrogen oxide in the air all over the world, in the spirit of the sanitation shower rooms for their victims.

No worries. Perhaps the Germans are still a bit more honest than the Russians. It's a battle between Volkswagen lies vs. Putin lies, and I think Putin lies are winning bigger anyway. /s
Old Yesterday | 09:19 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

My Burmester.

The following users liked this post:
Risky_Business (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:25 PM
C21ban
Racer

It would be great if we could see some pics of those who actually have BOSE drivers installed.

I just took some shots of the Bose speakers from my 2024 718 Cayman GTS and compared the two different systems. The Bose seem to be much higher quality aesthetically with larger magmets on the mids. Center channel seems to be a bit larger on the the mids, center is larger on the 911 Center. The woofers seem to be about the same and only they show a stock # starting with 992.

Not apples to apples as they didn’t come from the same model but the ASK appear to have smaller magnets and less quality in regards to construction. Doesn’t mean they necessarily are worse but I am comparing two 2024 Porsche cars 9718 and 911) and the ones that is 2/3 of the prices seems to have been fitted properly.

ASK left/Bose right

ASK

Bose on bottom (Mids)

Bose

Mid and Center

Last edited by C21ban; Yesterday at 09:34 PM.
Old Yesterday | 09:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by C21ban
Putting stickers that show Made in Germany on top of the ASK when in fact that are not still seems a bit shady even if they do supply Bose
ASK has locations throughout the Europe including, apparently, Bavaria.
Old Yesterday | 09:45 PM
C21ban
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
ASK has locations throughout the Europe including, apparently, Bavaria.
That comment was made regarding another post that stated maybe a different sticker showing Bose - Made in Germany could have been covering what may actually be ASK speakers. So where they are made was not really the point. OE parts are manufactured worldwide and I have no isse with that at all.

Last edited by C21ban; Yesterday at 09:54 PM. Reason: Changed parts from parents do to autocorrect smh
Old Yesterday | 09:49 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Do we have others with the base system on this thread? I'd love to see what other base ASK speakers look like in comparison to the Bose on the later 992s, especially if the build quality is different to the Bose optipmed ASKSs.
C21ban (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:03 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Mine are Bose tweeters.

2020 992 Bose woofer driver:

Beefy

C21bans ASK door woofer with the same part # as above:

Wimpy (smaller diameter than original Bose)

Looks like after the TSB or whatever, PAG switched out the Bose woofer and mids to the base ASK components and just kept the same part #s as the Bose. Shady.

Edit: Looks like I was mistaken. Seems they just installed the ASK components. Note the Bose ends in A and ASK ends in F and G (like mine). Shadier.

Mine

This is the ASK woofer taken from@12v Nick 's post about how terrible the base stereo is:

Last edited by Shogunade; Yesterday at 10:31 PM.
Old Yesterday | 10:05 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Interestingly came across this comment by the installer here while googling 911 992 audio installs.

PG5768 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:11 PM
Risky_Business
Instructor

All this making we wonder if I should spec Burmester but maybe I’ll only get fancy door panel speaker covers.
Old Yesterday | 10:16 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Risky_Business
All this making we wonder if I should spec Burmester but maybe I’ll only get fancy door panel speaker covers.
See my image above. It looks completely different than Bose or ASK. Proof is in the sound though.
Risky_Business (Yesterday)
Old Today | 08:12 AM
Newbie T
Intermediate

Looking at the 992.1 brochure, its very cheeky that it doesn't necessary state that you will get all Bose speakers,instead, its more worded to frame that you are buying Bose's sound "technology" system instead. Compare that with the Burmester's subtle mention of "manufacturer"

Given Bose is a speakers manufacture, one would assume they are buying the Bose speakers for this option, me included! I got the Bose system for my 2024 T, so far I don't have any complains, maybe its the additional 4 speakers you get from the Bose system that is doing the magic!

Quick Reply: Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.