Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I Go Overboard with My New Carrera T Spec?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSixT
stupid thing to say, T has eLSD, reduced sound deadening, light weight glass, rear seat delete, carbon buckets, RAS. Base has none of that. Not to mention >90% of built T's have PDK. Not to mention PDKs resale way faster than manuals. Not to mention the manuals in the carreras have too many gears, it must be the first 7 speed manual in history. Not to mention PDKs are much faster.
Great observations...but you omitted PASM Sport...which is a standard feature for a "T", but not available on a Base .1 or .2

You can't build a "T" spec car from a Base model because some "T" standard parts are not available on Base .1 or .2 models.

I compiled a list of the standard items on a "T" that that you cannot get or must pay "option" pricing for a Base.
  1. Limited slip LSD...standard equip on T... not available in a .1 or .2 base
  2. PASM Sport...standard equip on T... not available in a .1 or .2 base
  3. Sport chrono and Sport exhaust.... standard equip on T ...$5300 option on .1 and .2 base
  4. Short throw 7speed manual...standard equip on T ...not available in a .1 or .2 base
  5. Lightweight insulated glass...standard equip on T ...$1240 option for a .1 or .2 base
  6. Lighter chassis (less sound deadening) ...standard equip on T ...not available in a .1, .2 base
  7. 20"/21" Carrera "S" Wheels/Tires...standard equip on T ... Carrera "S" Wheels are a $3820 option on .1 and .2 base, but Titanium Gray color only available for "T"
  8. GT Sport Steering wheel...standard equip on T ... $500 option on .1 and .2 base
  9. Sport seat Plus with Sport-Tex centers and 911 embroidered headrest...standard equip on T... not available on a .1, .2 base ($2-4K standard sport seat option)
  10. Agate gray trim, decals and mirrors...standard equip on T... not available on a .1, .2 base
  11. Interior Trim Inlays in Exterior Color...standard equip on T... $1260 option on .1 and .2 base
All these for $10K over a 992.1 base ($114K) or $5K over a .2 Base ($120K)!

Heck... Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust and Carrera wheels alone put you over the "T" and .1 price difference.

Not to mention what the LSD and PASM Sport cost would be if they were available as an option.

Last edited by sk911; Yesterday at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sk911:
Will Motivation (Yesterday), zanary (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Motivation
Fair enough. Maybe a Porsche thing with the history of the specs people have gone with in the past. I had a used 2015 GT3 and a used 2016 GT3. One Red, one White. Both had red stitching and I kind of fell for it, so wanted it in the Chalk spec. But yea, seems everyone has a slightly different preference which makes sense. I won't lie. I knew going in that the Carrera T was more of a light weight spec with the manual transmission option but never thought it was "minimalist" in terms of options but more so in terms of weight... Having the opportunity to spec from scratch knowing I could not get a GTS, I wanted to spec it to my personal taste, tis' true haha. But always fun to get other's thoughts on a spec. I can appreciate that.

It’s not a Porsche thing. There are a few on here who like to try to force feed their opinions which they feel are choice..
Porsche is good at marketing like many other companies, they know who they can reel in.
The T is no different .. has extensive options list.
Like I commented prior .. your car looks great. You do you, that’s all that matters rest is noise
My .2 is due hopefully in 2 weeks. Will be my 2nd Porsche had a 94 968.
My first mod will be painting the calipers Boudreaux Red like the belts.
One friend who has a Carrera S was moaning about that mod. Other friends who have F cars and Lambo’s were like awesome and F@#& him.
I did mention the .2 has S brakes and GTS turbos … he moaned even more.
Life is short. They are all great cars . Enjoy and drive your car it’s awesome !

The following users liked this post:
Will Motivation (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,555 Likes on 562 Posts

You must have wanted clicks to post this rubbish comment. Cut it out.
I posted a link to the video. The forums converted the link to an embedded video. I didn't design the forums.
You obviously have an issue with me or people that make videos and share them on the forums. Like I said earlier, you did not have to watch the video if you did not want to.
And wait a minute. You have a problem if people want to show their spec???? There is an extremely popular thread on the forums with people showing off their spec's and nobody has an issue with it.
Why do you have an issue if someone posts a video rather than a picture? Because you think they want youtube fame? Come on man. Even if someone does have ambitions to be a content creator, why would I hate or have a problem with that? If anything, I would support them, especially if I like Porsche content. Damn. Not sure what's going on in your world, but having an issue with someone sharing a youtube video is petty and cancerous to the purpose of a public car forum.

In the future, if you don't like watching youtube videos of Porsche's on a Porsche forum, try not to watch it. But to have a negative disposition towards someone for posting a video and assume you know their intentions, that's plain ignorant. Rubbish, as you would say. Don't like. Don't watch.
​​​​​​TL;DR

Don't post stuff on the Internet if you're gonna get so salty at the replies 😂
The following users liked this post:
jstap808 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sk911
Great observations...but you omitted PASM Sport...which is a standard feature for a "T", but not available on a Base .1 or .2

You can't build a "T" spec car from a Base model because some "T" standard parts are not available on Base .1 or .2 models.

I compiled a list of the standard items on a "T" that that you cannot get or must pay "option" pricing for a Base.
  1. Limited slip LSD...standard equip on T... not available in a .1 or .2 base
  2. PASM Sport...standard equip on T... not available in a .1 or .2 base
  3. Sport chrono and Sport exhaust.... standard equip on T ...$5300 option on .1 and .2 base
  4. Short throw 7speed manual...standard equip on T ...not available in a .1 or .2 base
  5. Lightweight insulated glass...standard equip on T ...$1240 option for a .1 or .2 base
  6. Lighter chassis (less sound deadening) ...standard equip on T ...not available in a .1, .2 base
  7. 20"/21" Carrera "S" Wheels/Tires...standard equip on T ... Carrera "S" Wheels are a $3820 option on .1 and .2 base, but Titanium Gray color only available for "T"
  8. GT Sport Steering wheel...standard equip on T ... $500 option on .1 and .2 base
  9. Sport seat Plus with Sport-Tex centers and 911 embroidered headrest...standard equip on T... not available on a .1, .2 base ($2-4K standard sport seat option)
  10. Agate gray trim, decals and mirrors...standard equip on T... not available on a .1, .2 base
  11. Interior Trim Inlays in Exterior Color...standard equip on T... $1260 option on .1 and .2 base
All these for $10K over a 992.1 base ($114K) or $5K over a .2 Base ($120K)!

Heck... Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust and Carrera wheels alone put you over the "T" and .1 price difference.

Not to mention what the LSD and PASM Sport cost would be if they were available as an option.

And now the .2 Carrera has S brakes standard. Remember when you were adamant that they weren’t getting them when many stated they were?
You even had me doubting my own eyes staring at 6 pistons in photos.
GTS Turbo’s and Turbo intercooler standard … how much does that cost if they were an option ?
You have a fantastic car. No need to justify your choice I originally had an allocation request for a 24’ would have been happy also.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Will Motivation
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah
​​​​​​TL;DR

Don't post stuff on the Internet if you're gonna get so salty at the replies 😂
I'm good. Just knew I'd have someone that didn't like a youtube video for this exact reason, so I was anticipating it. Youtube is a hobby for me. Mostly fun to post and share the car content.
But every now and then somebody is like "this dude wants clicks to make a few pennies off of my view of this video. I'm going to express my negative sentiments"
I actually like watching people's videos, pictures, messages etc. related to their love of their car...
So I get defensive for all those folks that choose not to post a video because they don't want to be accused of wanting clicks by judgemental forum members.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
Will Motivation
Racer

Originally Posted by 3520MMF
It’s not a Porsche thing. There are a few on here who like to try to force feed their opinions which they feel are choice..
Porsche is good at marketing like many other companies, they know who they can reel in.
The T is no different .. has extensive options list.
Like I commented prior .. your car looks great. You do you, that’s all that matters rest is noise
My .2 is due hopefully in 2 weeks. Will be my 2nd Porsche had a 94 968.
One friend who has a Carrera S was moaning about that mod. Other friends who have F cars and Lambo’s were like awesome and F@#& him.
I did mention the .2 has S brakes and GTS turbos … he moaned even more.
Life is short. They are all great cars . Enjoy and drive your car it’s awesome !
Good stuff. Looking forward to hearing about your car when it arrives! Make a video I'd love to see it
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Yeah I guess so but how many clicks can you possibly get to justify it?

This would have been an ok GTS build which it seems like the OP wanted in the first place, but a T will never be a GTS. At this point I would add a tune and swap out the sportex seats for racetex and go full pretend GTS cause then at least the car would be cohesive.
spending gts money on a t? SMH. Why can't people just accept the car the way it is. All this modding and add-ons are so unnecessary. And let's be honest, most people will sell their car before the 3rd year and won't get their money back for all the odds and ends added. Can't wait to see a flood of used 992s in a few years
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
division
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 50 Posts

If you ever want to watch a YouTube video without having to sit through the ads and just want to watch a video uninterrupted, insert a hyphen between the t and the u in the address bar. For instance, if you want to watch the OP's video without any ads, change the address to

https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=zjrNzG-5UeI

There isn't a downside except for the fact that it doesn't contribute to the posters view count, and they don't get paid on it. However, you won't have to sit through ads.

Last edited by division; Yesterday at 08:00 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Will Motivation
Racer

Originally Posted by jstap808
spending gts money on a t? SMH. Why can't people just accept the car the way it is. All this modding and add-ons are so unnecessary. And let's be honest, most people will sell their car before the 3rd year and won't get their money back for all the odds and ends added. Can't wait to see a flood of used 992s in a few years
Interesting opinion there... I mean if there was a Porsche employee that thought like you, they'd probably be fired. They make money off of the long list of options on these models, and when people look for a used Porsche, they are also looking at the list of options to determine value etc. I am willing to bet that most people add some long or even short list of options that they want to their spec on their new Porsche, no matter if it is an "S" , "GTS", "T", "Base" etc.
And for the used flood of 992s, I'm sure you'll look for one that has the options that you hope someone spec'd that will be to your liking... SMH
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808

I purposely tried to stay away from the cost arguments and just sort of focus on how/why I would build something. If allocations were plentiful, then I would be a little bit more judgmental about someone building a Carrera T up to 170 grand. But the fact is that a lot of people can't get allocations for the car they want or they would have to pay markup which is even worse than over speccing a car.

And yes, I wish all used cars would depreciate more and depreciate faster. The Internet has definitely ruined that
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3520MMF
Except he literally started a thread asking for other people's opinions

Oh that's dope. You should paint your toe nails to match your calipers too

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Will Motivation
Racer

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Oh that's dope. You should paint your toe nails to match your calipers too
Is this like intentional trolling... Or like meant to be funny?
Nothing wrong with painting calipers to match interior colors. Very common thing to do. Lot's of 911's out there with yellow calipers and yellow seatbelts and stitching.
Post a pic of your yellow toe nails though. That would be interesting.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
jp884
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 185 Posts

I always thought the appeal to the T, is that you could get a great driving car for not a lot of money (relatively speaking). So IMO, yes that build seems pretty large for the T.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Will Motivation
Racer

Originally Posted by jp884
I always thought the appeal to the T, is that you could get a great driving car for not a lot of money (relatively speaking). So IMO, yes that build seems pretty large for the T.
Here is the official Porsche description of the T:
"When contact with the road is even more important. When every pound less means more agility. That's when sportsmanship takes over. The 911 Carrera T is a commitment to purism. A conscious release. For increased driving pleasure." So not necessarily a cheaper car but I guess a lighter car. My build defied both ideas . I wanted a GTS but could not get an allocation so went dream build mode on the T.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Is this like intentional trolling... Or like meant to be funny?
Nothing wrong with painting calipers to match interior colors. Very common thing to do. Lot's of 911's out there with yellow calipers and yellow seatbelts and stitching.
Post a pic of your yellow toe nails though. That would be interesting.

Yeah I get it man. This guy just rubbed me the wrong way with his post so I had to serve him up some toenail paint.

Quick Reply: Did I Go Overboard with My New Carrera T Spec?