Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 40 years of Porsche fascination, the 992.1 may be the last 911 generation I buy

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 958 Posts

I will just park this here:

The following users liked this post:
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder

Couldn't agree more. Seeing this makes me want to throw up.
And this comes from someone currently looking into buying a 53" curved display for his office desk.

And as others have stated, it's not about technological advancement, but cost savings to increase shareholder value (ludicrous short sighted 'Road to 20' initiative)
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi
I didn't read into Wilder's post downplaying the advances in engine technology, in fact he stated they were "understandable".
It's the interior design and extensive use of screens he was pointing out, and I think most of us agree with him.
Call me a luddite. I grew up in the center of tech, but I would prefer limits to its ubiquity in everything we do.
I'm so over tech & am a certified pain-in-the-a$$, I no longer take meetings with people with Apple watch notifications turned on. Take it off or wear a mechanical if you're serious about doing business.

I'm just glad there is a used market so that I can buy, or mod, any version of a 911 to my liking.
I probably grasped onto "Transitioning from air to water and from NA to turbo were unsettling changes, but understandable, just like going hybrid in the .2" more than I should have but still feels a complaint.

Excepting the very early 911s I think the 992 has the best interior design. It's way better than the 996. Much better than the 997 and a fair amount improved over the 991. Though that one is quite nice.

The central screen in the 992 is well integrated and there are physical controls for things that are really needed. I prefer the physical tach as well. However the flexibility of the screen with the four other disks and map option is well implemented. The 992.2 still has a digital 5 gauge layout which is good.

The downside is the lack of craft and the question on if the gauge will still work in 40 years.

It may swing back. We're already seeing the very high end cars going more analog. Not to mention restomods.
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm keeping my 2016 Cayenne because the ergonomics seem ideal for me. Lots of bottons are intuitively placed with that tactile obviousness that comes with bottons.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the analogue tach with the digital displays on either side was only launched for the 992.1, and so if the 992.2 gt3 is full digital then
that design didn’t last for very long. The bean counters are too much in a hurry to standardize across product lines that they missed a golden opportunity
for differentiation. They could have used it for a few different model years at the very least. Such a beautiful design that deserved more time than it got .

Last edited by B194HR; Yesterday at 05:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 73 Posts

@Zoomnbyu do you have the capacity to produce an intelligent thought you can contribute, or is presumptive memes at the limit of your intellect?

In your case I try to match my audience. It's tough to get down that far but I'll keep trying.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,243 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by RG88
Sadly it's not just Porsche and it's not just cars. Everything is more expensive and lesser quality. Maybe it was Covid or maybe it's something else. I don't mind paying more for something but it should at least be quality. Just look at what the boys and gals at Mercedes are putting out.
It's not covid. It's everyone's unending obsession with making more and more money. We prioritize money over doing or building cool things.

Originally Posted by RatherJaded
The .1 gets high marks on this analog/digital balance. The .2 goes two steps too far, and the entire basis for my rant.

Originally Posted by InfiniteSmiles
Couldn't agree more. Seeing this makes me want to throw up.
And this comes from someone currently looking into buying a 53" curved display for his office desk.

And as others have stated, it's not about technological advancement, but cost savings to increase shareholder value (ludicrous short sighted 'Road to 20' initiative)
That was exactly my reaction when I saw those pictures. I can visualize every single 911 dash through history. Not even the 996 dash elicits such negative feelings and it's interesting how 70% of those negative feelings is that display (the rest is the start button).

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
I probably grasped onto "Transitioning from air to water and from NA to turbo were unsettling changes, but understandable, just like going hybrid in the .2" more than I should have but still feels a complaint.

Excepting the very early 911s I think the 992 has the best interior design. It's way better than the 996. Much better than the 997 and a fair amount improved over the 991. Though that one is quite nice.

The central screen in the 992 is well integrated and there are physical controls for things that are really needed. I prefer the physical tach as well. However the flexibility of the screen with the four other disks and map option is well implemented. The 992.2 still has a digital 5 gauge layout which is good.

The downside is the lack of craft and the question on if the gauge will still work in 40 years.

It may swing back. We're already seeing the very high end cars going more analog. Not to mention restomods.
I owned 7 aircooled 911s before I bought my first watercooled 911.
Owning an aircooled Porsche 15-20 years ago was like being part of a cult. The wave alone was a thing, and it was much bigger then than it is now.
I gave that "unsettled" context to communicate that you eventually get over those changes when you realize water/turbo/hybrid can be a positive and it doesn't kill the soul of the car.
That's very different from screwing with the most intimate and iconic part of the interior: the thing staring at you constantly reminding you what you're driving.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RatherJaded
Wow. That's timely. My new Macan is my first modern Porsche and I really like the mix of buttons and screen. That said, the piano black "buttons" aren't tactile. The haptic feedback isn't the same as a "no-look" push of a physical button. You still have to look to see if your finger is on top of the right spot(!).

The new Mercedes GLC I recently got my mother is horrendous. Massive center console screen. It's so annoying, I may have to replace the car for something more intuitive. I'm hoping to sell her on a Macan as well.
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
718GTS4L
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

give it a few years and porsche will bring back the analog tach and turn key as a heritage option for $3,000
The following 5 users liked this post by 718GTS4L:
BondJ (Yesterday), ClubRacer523 (Yesterday), GT3 (Yesterday), RatherJaded (Yesterday), Wilder (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zoomnbyu
@Zoomnbyu do you have the capacity to produce an intelligent thought you can contribute, or is presumptive memes at the limit of your intellect?

In your case I try to match my audience. It's tough to get down that far but I'll keep trying.

That's funny. You seem to think you know me, yet I have no clue who you are. Is that a Nebraska thing?
Beyond feeling the need to jump on someone's thread with the sole purpose of insulting them, you posting that old man meme while displaying a signature that screams "I drive old man cars" accompanied by your "zoom by you" handle is peak irony.

Paraphrasing my brother in law - If it's not an amount that would bother you in five years it's not real money.
2012 Audi Q5
2014 MB E350
2020 992 C4S
2023 Macan S
You''re not zooming by anyone in any of those cars.
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 100 Posts

I've owned a G series 911, a 996, a 997.2 , a 991.1 and now have a 992.2 on order. Each car has left some unique part of the previous generation behind but overall each was also an advancement over the one that came before.

If the biggest "sacrifices" to gaining the improvements of the 992.2 (bigger turbos and intercooler, bigger brakes, cleaner front end styling, more power, better performance) are a start button instead of a plastic fob and a digital tach rather than an analog one, I can live with that. YMMV.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to the arrival of my new Carrera.
Risky_Business (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've owned a G series 911, a 996, a 997.2 , a 991.1 and now have a 992.2 on order. Each car has left some unique part of the previous generation behind but overall each was also an advancement over the one that came before.

If the biggest "sacrifices" to gaining the improvements of the 992.2 (bigger turbos and intercooler, bigger brakes, cleaner front end styling, more power, better performance) are a start button instead of a plastic fob and a digital tach rather than an analog one, I can live with that. YMMV.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to the arrival of my new Carrera.
You're not wrong. We all have things we're either willing or not willing to live with.
I'm considering replacing my Macan Turbo with a TGT and if so, I might buy the previous gen just to get the analog display.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Funny.

I was just talking to guy today. he waxed poetic about how each 911 generation of 911 just gets better. They took an bad platform and turned it into a perfect driving car.

Another fellow was amazed at how recognizable the 911 form is and how each refinement adds to the lore and mystique of the 911.

Name another car this good that has been true to form since 1963.

​​​​The move to turbo was brilliant. As was the switch to water. Now largely turbo. I think they did hybrid in a sublime way.

Technical innovation wrapped in 1960s design aesthetic. Don't forget Ferdinand Porsche designed the first-ever hybrid car.

I love it.

I think they've reached perfection. The turbo engine shines at 10,000' where I frequently drive. The screen is well integrated. Buttons are well placed. As a daily it is docile when needed and an absolutely German scalpel when desired.

My 992.1 may be my last new 911. But for (edited) different reasons than yours.
This. Absolutely this. The only thing I would add is if these forums existed back to the first changes after 1963 and continued on through the early 2000s you'd have the exact same style of complaints from the previous gen owners. I get this is ugly but statistically if you're upset about the changes to the start mech, the gauge package, and the hybrid it's because Porsche isn't designing cars for you anymore. To be fair, not for me either. They're designing them to be aspirationally fantastic to 30ish year olds. Are some 30ish not going to like the changes and are some 60ish year olds going to like? Yes, those are anecdotes not large homogeneous data sets that want these changes.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

"You seem to think you know me" I know you're not bright enough to understand the irony of this statement given you assumed in your first post you knew me. As far as Zooming by anyone most of the mature folks here list cars to show history and in case someone has something similar and has a question. I'm far past having to "zoom" past anyone to prove my testicular fortitude.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zoomnbyu
"You seem to think you know me" I know you're not bright enough to understand the irony of this statement given you assumed in your first post you knew me. As far as Zooming by anyone most of the mature folks here list cars to show history and in case someone has something similar and has a question. I'm far past having to "zoom" past anyone to prove my testicular fortitude.
You are the definition of Dunning Kruger.

Quick Reply: After 40 years of Porsche fascination, the 992.1 may be the last 911 generation I buy