Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tipping your Service Advisor

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:13 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 839 Likes on 387 Posts

Not in a trillion years... these are the same ppl that have the gall to shamelessly ask for 'all 10s' on their surveys. Zero chance I'm gonna respond with my true sentiments for fear of them denying warranty coverage, etc....

Direct email from SA below:
"I need all 10’s and yes’s on every question for Porsche to consider it a passing score for me. Even the questions that do not pertain to me directly. If for any reason I have not earned the highest marks on every question, an opportunity to do so before you complete the survey would be very much appreciated."

Old Today, 02:38 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,285 Posts

No!
Old Today, 03:43 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,191 Likes on 638 Posts

if I like the technician, I’ll text him a $50 Amazon gift card and thanks for the great job..
Old Today, 04:39 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Soon, the robots and vending machines will want to be tipped. Tipping has gone out of control in this country. No, I don't tip the SA.
Old Today, 07:02 AM
m732sg
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

No chance. Not like they've deserved a tip anyway - maybe once have I gotten an update or call back when they promised.
Old Today, 07:45 AM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Where do people draw the line between the high quality service that one expects for the exorbitant parts and labor prices charged by high end vehicle manufacturers like Porsche and doing something "above and beyond"? Examples?
I brought 2 cars in for service/modifications. I could not make it during normal business hours to drop the car off. My SA came in on a Sunday on his day off when the dealership was not even open at all to sit at the dealership waiting for me for about 45 minutes while I went back and forth from my house twice so that I could bring my cars inside and not have them sitting outside overnight. To me, that’s going above and beyond. He didn’t ask for a tip, and is a very nice guy who genuinely likes cars. He respects my cars, and I feel actually likes me as a person. He would have done it anyway, because he offered it to me himself. I didn’t ask for it. I tipped him because I appreciated this gesture. He worked on his day off FOR ME. That’s worth something in my book. A tip was not expected of me in any way.
Old Today, 08:44 AM
RG88
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

just kindness and respect. not money or chattel.

Last edited by RG88; Today at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RG88:
Hunky (Today), ldamelio (Today)
Old Today, 08:44 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 579 Posts

Crazy to tip the service advisor. You're already paying 2 - 3 x what you would at a good independent. I hope you enjoyed that $2500 latte in the waiting room.

My indy has become a friend and I'll bring him an interesting bottle of wine from time to time. But that's friendship, not a tip.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
HOTCHKIS (Today), jlegelis (Today)
Old Today, 09:38 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
The pendulum is slowly starting to swing back and all this craziness will finally stop. Tipping your service advisor, paying outrageous premiums for the right to buy a car at full price, being treated with no respect like a piece of meat by your dealer, settling for less than what you really want - Its nuts!!
Give it a little more time and the world (including the world of Porsche) will return to a reasonable level of normal.
i miss the good old days when you were treated like a king when spending tons of money on luxury goods. Now i have to grovel and beg to buy an hermes purse, a rolex, porsche, etc. Its insane.. i'm begging and groveling at the feet of the salesman for the privilege of spending $$$ with them.. i miss the good old days
The following 3 users liked this post by omaralt:
Icegrill (Today), LanternRouge (Today), ldamelio (Today)
Old Today, 11:22 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,449 Likes on 702 Posts

I do not tip service advisors or salesmen, however I do give an earnest and sincere thank you if they do a good job.
Old Today, 11:24 AM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Yes! When they flip the screen I usually do 30% on the $1200 oil change. Seems fair in this economy.
Hold up, what?? A screen for tips at a dealer? They can't pay their people on a $1200 oil change?

I took my kid to a Reds game while we were in Cincinnati last year. They had a completely self service area (you grab your drink from the fridge, your hot dog, popcorn, etc.. and then scan and pay for it yourself), they had the gall to ask for a tip on the machine. Everyone in line was laughing asking what the heck is this. Where does this insanity end...
Old Today, 12:01 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 813 Likes on 386 Posts

… apparently it ends in Europe or so it would seem. Nobody in Portugal and Italy has expected a tip anywhere and service has been superior to the USA. I love my country but we certainly Could take some good lessons from others. Pay a living wage to workers so prices are transparent. Tips should not be the norm, expected nor needed to live on rather for exceptional, unusual service or accommodation.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (Today)
Old Today, 12:05 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm a service advisor, not at a Porsche store.
I have a '24 911 T and a '23 Macan GTS.
There is ZERO reason or need to ever tip a service advisor.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5senna5:
achilleas101 (Today), ldamelio (Today)
Old Today, 12:09 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
… apparently it ends in Europe or so it would seem. Nobody in Portugal and Italy has expected a tip anywhere and service has been superior to the USA. I love my country but we certainly Could take some good lessons from others. Pay a living wage to workers so prices are transparent. Tips should not be the norm, expected nor needed to live on rather for exceptional, unusual service or accommodation.
Japan is where its at. They'll give you great service because that's what they believe it. Tipping is considered insulting and is offensive!

In London, however, they WILL tack on a 12.5% optional service charge. You can have it removed by asking the server, but 99% people just pay it to avoid looking like an a**hole.
Old Today, 01:44 PM
Hunky
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
Japan is where its at. They'll give you great service because that's what they believe it. Tipping is considered insulting and is offensive!

In London, however, they WILL tack on a 12.5% optional service charge. You can have it removed by asking the server, but 99% people just pay it to avoid looking like an a**hole.
12.5% "service charge" understood upfront is BS with a wait staff as there is absolutely no incentive for quality service at that point. I routinely leave 20% as the service where we frequent is nearly always excellent and do NOT need any suggestions, minimums, or quarantees of additional compensation for their staff as we are quite capable of making the determination of how to spend our money ourselves. Bars/Restaurants can suck *** for any automatic gratuities. That crap is for schlimiels who don't know any better.

Last edited by Hunky; Today at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Tipping your Service Advisor