Gravel Driveway Issues

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Gravel Driveway Issues

Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a house with a gravel driveway and it seems my 992 just loves eating those rocks, which causes radiator issues. I've had the check engine light come on a few times and when I bring it in for service, they always tell me it's because the radiator is clogged with rocks. I try to drive very slowly on the driveway, but it seems like an endless amount of rocks keep getting kicked up into the radiator compartment.

Any folks with gravel driveways have this issue? Any tips on how to avoid having my 992 eat so many rocks (aside from just paving the driveway)?
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I would think that whatever rocks are being thrown are being done so behind the front wheels and not forward towards the radiators, and pretty sure that the radiators are not open to the inner fender liner.. A long way of saying I can't offer a solution. Hope the dealer is telling you the truth about the cause for the engine light being thrown.
The following users liked this post:
R0llTideEsq (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Dakar.
The following 2 users liked this post by Butzi:
bleffler (Yesterday), Icegrill (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 535 Posts

Do you have grills installed on your car?
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 353 Posts

I find it interesting that you're kicking up rocks into your own radiator. I didn't know that could happen. I'm guessing the check engine light was because the vents could no longer open and close?
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,992 Likes on 5,227 Posts

You need these ===> https://rennkit.com/product-info/zunsport/
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
PG5768 (Yesterday), RennKit-Dave (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Yeah, it's a bit weird. A couple weeks after the rocks got cleaned out and the light came back on the first time, I looked and did see some rocks, but my car is in the shop so I can't post a pic of where the rocks were collecting. But it was towards the front, which was odd.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But aren't those to prevent rocks flying at you from the front? In my case the front wheels are picking them up and pulling them into the radiator compartment.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I find it interesting that you're kicking up rocks into your own radiator. I didn't know that could happen. I'm guessing the check engine light was because the vents could no longer open and close?
I'm not sure, I'll have to ask why specifically it's causing the check engine light to trigger when I pick it up tomorrow after they replace the radiator fan (they're going to do it under warranty). The car was driving normally, even with the CEL on.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 116 Posts

I feel there should be an option in the official configurator for protection for this kind of thing. yon know like they have options for painted wheel crests, rear slats in body color, etc. and maybe something like "driveway gravel protection" or similar for around $1200. High margin stuff right there
R0llTideEsq (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
ABSFlyer36
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had my 992 soon coming up on 3 years - 45,000 miles - and have a long gravel, small river stone, driveway. I have never had an issue like you describe. A year ago I did get the grill covers, more for the look, but never an issue. I did have to take it in to have a couple of stones removed that got up in the rotor. this caused a wear sound like the brake pad was worn. I had Goodyear F1 and Continental winter tires for the first two years with no issue. I did just replace the GY with Michelin and notice that they seem to pick up more stones. Considering the TLG mud flaps though I do drive slow on the driveway. Best of luck.
R0llTideEsq (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Thank you, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I imagine a lot of 911 owners have gravel driveways, and yet this doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, so clearly I'm doing something wrong here, haha. I guess I'll just have to take things SUPER slow and hopefully it's less of an issue when I switch to my Winter tires.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 989 Likes on 466 Posts

I would not have a 911 with a gravel driveway, except a Dakar. Unfortunately the rocks are being thrown in the louvers in the wheel well and collecting at the rear of the condensers. This is why they can’t function properly.
R0llTideEsq (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by R0llTideEsq
Thank you, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I imagine a lot of 911 owners have gravel driveways, and yet this doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, so clearly I'm doing something wrong here, haha. I guess I'll just have to take things SUPER slow and hopefully it's less of an issue when I switch to my Winter tires.
Is it pea gravel size?
I'm having a hard time visualizing how this can happen. Do you think the front tires are picking up the gravel on the back side and flinging it over the top and into the radiator?
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 309 Posts

I have had the same issues with gravel, had to take off the fender and pull the gravel out with some tweezers. Annoying, and can cause overheating of the car if it blocks the fan from running.
R0llTideEsq (Today)

Quick Reply: Gravel Driveway Issues