Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gravel Driveway Issues

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 573 Posts

Yeah this is strange. I have a very short gravel drive to get to the lower side of my car barn that my 992 parks in and I have never had any issues. I’m going slowly mind you but still can’t really see how you could kick up rocks into your own radiator.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
r4mi5awi
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
I would not have a 911 with a gravel driveway, except a Dakar. Unfortunately the rocks are being thrown in the louvers in the wheel well and collecting at the rear of the condensers. This is why they can’t function properly.
Thank God for your explanation! It took several posts until we finally got what the hell OP was talking about. Totally makes sense now! Thought I was going crazy lol
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (Today)
Old Today, 10:10 AM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by r4mi5awi
Thank God for your explanation! It took several posts until we finally got what the hell OP was talking about. Totally makes sense now! Thought I was going crazy lol
Sorry, my car is in the shop so I'm not able to take pictures to show exactly where the rocks are accumulating. However, I have circled the area in this pic on a random 911:

RG88 (Today)
Old Today, 10:15 AM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Originally Posted by breny4104
Is it pea gravel size?
I'm having a hard time visualizing how this can happen. Do you think the front tires are picking up the gravel on the back side and flinging it over the top and into the radiator?
Here's a pic of the gravel, with a 12oz can of seltzer for scale. I also posted a pic showing where the rocks are accumulating (in front of the front wheels).

RG88 (Today)
Old Today, 10:38 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 699 Posts

Put a screen over the vents on the fender liner. Bug screen..
The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
Butzi (Today), R0llTideEsq (Today)
Old Today, 10:49 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Just block off the inner fender well louvers. Should not be difficult to do, grab some dynamat sheets and attach to the inside of the liner like Aston Martin does in their cars. It's stick on but you may want to secure with a couple of short screws as well.

Bonus points - less tire noise.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rn3wtW...RoCpSgQAvD_BwE

The louvers are there for brake cooling, but doubtful you would have any issues unless you were doing a full-on track day.
R0llTideEsq (Today)
Old Today, 11:04 AM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Thank you (and Angryinch) for the suggestions! The Dynamat sheets seem like a really simple fix. I'll definitely look into that once I get my car back and figure out the sizing of the sheets.

Old Today, 12:09 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Just block off the inner fender well louvers. Should not be difficult to do, grab some dynamat sheets and attach to the inside of the liner like Aston Martin does in their cars. It's stick on but you may want to secure with a couple of short screws as well.

Bonus points - less tire noise.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rn3wtW...RoCpSgQAvD_BwE

The louvers are there for brake cooling, but doubtful you would have any issues unless you were doing a full-on track day.
Would that really help with the tire noise? anyone try it? would really like to reduce that sound in hopes of getting more engine sound.
Old Today, 12:41 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,524 Posts

[QUOTE=dudeoverthere;19642845]Would that really help with the tire noise? anyone try it? would really like to reduce that sound in hopes of getting more engine sound.[/QUOTE

yes, definitely. However Dynamat is heavy so it will add some weight to the car, maybe 5 to 7 pounds per wheel liner. It’s standard in Aston Martins (I had one) but Porsche is all weight focused so they don’t do it, or under the hood, either.

Quick Reply: Gravel Driveway Issues