Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the 992.2 carrara like to drive?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
double-o-seven
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
On average, Porsche has produced around 25k and max 35k 911s per year from 1998 to 2023.
In 2023 it produced 55k while also increasing prices in 2022, 2023, and now 2024.
How sustainable is this? Seems like the pendulum is already swinging back.
Problem is that Porsche (and VW as its parent company) is in serious sales trouble and market share loss, especially in China. Porsche is down 33% in sales in China in the first half of this year, and has replaced the China-side regional CEO as a result. The new China region CEO for Porsche promises a "value-oriented" approach to Porsche sales in China.

Does this mean aggressive pricing and low APR financing for Porsche in China? I think so. This means a long-term brand erosion though, in which Porsche may be considered nothing more than Audi at best in China, and eventually, elsewhere.

What the sales trouble for Porsche/VW in FY2024 means is that the 911 is VW's best milk-cow & low-hanging fruit to keep the operating profit afloat until VW (hopefully) puts out the fire (of market share loss and massive sales declines in China and elsewhere). 992.2's higher-volume production, cheaper bill of materials (i.e. cheaper-looking interior and VW button and switch sharing), and ever more-aggressive MSRP increases have become a key strategy to support VW's Taycan, Macan EV, eTron, and ID.2,3,4 pipe dreams.

Last edited by double-o-seven; Yesterday at 03:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by double-o-seven:
Hunky (Yesterday), Stespa (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 141 Posts

Hilarious.
Not everyone thinks that "new" or "change" equals "better".
It doesn't mean they are in denial.
It means their priorities and tastes are different from yours.
Smart money spends seven figures to acquire "old" 911s for a reason.
They don't make them like they used to.
I enjoy my 992. For pure driving pleasure, I enjoy old 911s I own far more.
At least you didn't call me a "Dunce" this time. Thank You.
Glad to hear that you enjoy your older 911s.
Pretty sure that most are going to prefer late model 911s. No way the 992.2 is a "downgade" forget about that.
Nothing wrong with admiring older models but show me a hardcore, unwavering, traditionalist and I'll show you a guy living in the past. Nothing really wrong with that but it does have some significant limitations.
Totally onboard with your perspective on Porsche pricing trend. Could very well bite them in the *** big time.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fanboy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by double-o-seven
Problem is that Porsche (and VW as its parent company) is in serious sales trouble and market share loss, especially in China. Porsche is down 33% in sales in China in the first half of this year, and has replaced the China-side regional CEO as a result. The new China region CEO for Porsche promises a "value-oriented" approach to Porsche sales in China.

Does this mean aggressive pricing and low APR financing for Porsche in China? I think so. This means a long-term brand erosion though, in which Porsche may be considered nothing more than Audi at best in China, and eventually, elsewhere.

What the sales trouble for Porsche/VW in FY2024 means is that the 911 is VW's best milk-cow & low-hanging fruit to keep the operating profit afloat until VW (hopefully) puts out the fire (of market share loss and massive sales declines in China and elsewhere). 992.2's higher-volume production, cheaper bill of materials (i.e. cheaper-looking interior and VW button and switch sharing), and ever more-aggressive MSRP increases have become a key strategy to support VW's Taycan, Macan EV, eTron, and ID.2,3,4 pipe dreams.
This is a very well stated post. Good job and excellent points made.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,078 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by double-o-seven

Meanwhile, no one in Mexico can get 911 allocations. All of 1 ST arrived for the entire country. 5 Dakars. I was on the list for both. Ample Cayennes but 911s and 718s trickle in.
Seems at best Porsche may be entering some turbulent times.

Originally Posted by Hunky
At least you didn't call me a "Dunce" this time. Thank You.
Glad to hear that you enjoy your older 911s.
Pretty sure that most are going to prefer late model 911s. No way the 992.2 is a "downgade" forget about that.
Nothing wrong with admiring older models but show me a hardcore, unwavering, traditionalist and I'll show you a guy living in the past. Nothing really wrong with that but it does have some significant limitations.
Totally onboard with your perspective on Porsche pricing trend. Could very well bite them in the *** big time.
I didn't call you a Dunce. You suggested wearing it and I suggested you ought to.
I'm not sure the issue is not older cars or newer cars.
I suggest the issue is judging and confusing statements of fact with statements of opinion.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Hunky
Racer

Damn, only 1 911 for an entire year. That sure sucks for Porsche guys in Mexico. What city are you living in.
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
C21ban
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

[QUOTE=EYEHAVEYOU;19605867]As much as I love savagegeese, their review (and most everyone else out there) focuses on the GTS and not the base that OP is interested in.

AutotopNL seems to be the only base review that focuses on driving:

I didn’t watch the entire video but when he was talking, all I could think about about was the Character Goldmember in the Austin Powers movie. The watch being upside was a bit strange but maybe the strap/buckle were put on for a lefty and hey was just showing it. 🤦🏻‍♂️😆

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Eh...

I'll allow it
👍🏻 extremelly valid opinion
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by LemmyCook
I must be going crazy. I've scoured the forums. I've looked at professional reviews. I got so fed up I created an account just to ask this one question: what is the lambda=1 992.2 base carrera actually like to drive? It seems that every post and article talks about everything except this: it's either all about the GTS and the base model changes are only mentioned in passing, or it's about superficial things like looks, stats, etc. Sure, many reviews mention the new turbo and the new intercooler, and maybe the bigger brakes. But how does the retuning for lambda=1 combined with these changes make the car feel?

All else being equal, you want smaller turbos, not bigger ones, right? Yet everyone seems to mention the bigger turbos as if they are welcome. Why? To me, the new carrera seems like a big downgrade. Who cares about a measly 9hp.

So, has anyone here test driven it or seen a good review about how the engine feels?
There quite a few differences between the .2 and .1 base, but none add up to any additional performance. All are implemented to make the new model slightly more attractive than the old.

- Suspensions did not change, wheel and tire sizing did not change, PDK did not change and the engine has the same torque with 9 more hp... so the .2 will ride and drive the same as a .1

- Brake rotor only sizing where increased (330mm to 350mm), .1 base 4 piston calipers remain the same on the .2 base.

- New headlights...that look pretty cool to me. Not sure if they work any better than the current Matrix Led lights

- .1 Aero venting of the front radiators went away along with bumper mounted driving lights

- HP increased by 9hp, but torque remains the same...only .1 mph faster 0-62mph

- GTS turbos with 55mm turbine/ 48mm compressor in the .2 vs the .1 base 49mm turbine/ 45mm compressor...these GTS turbos create larger air flow to the engines, but at the expense of possibly additional lag. The reason for the small increase in HP is partially due to Lamda systems and lower boost. .1 GTS's run at 16-18 psi vs the base 12 psi. The right tune will produce over 500hp with these turbos.

- Intercooler from Turbos....no difference in performance, this unit does not flow any more air than the base or GTS intercooler.... this change was made to facilitate the revised rear bumper and intercooler ducting.

- Interior is basically the same as a .1 except for the new digital gauge cluster and "push to start" button (used in Panamera's, Cayanne's and Macan's)

- The new digital dash has only 3 displays with 3 viewing areas vs the .1 which has the same number of displays, but it was able to display 5 areas of viewing. 2 of those areas of viewing were obstructed by the steering wheel. Some people disliked not being able to see all 5 gauges, but in reality, the 2 outer gauges displayed redundant info that could be accessed on the 2 visible gauges on either side of the tach or PCM

- The center tach is now digital, which some have complained about...but it now has the ability to "clock" the display putting the redline at the top of the gauge. The new tach also has the ability to change the gauge background color. A colored tach background was an option for the .1 and if selected, the color selected was the color you were stuck with.

- .2 weighs 3351 lbs. without rear seats vs 3317 with rear seats for the .1...34 lbs. difference???

- A 2024 .1 base went for $114K vs a $120K for a 2025 .2 base that's about a 6% price increase. Some options have been refined and improved, but option pricing has risen as well unlike previous years.

So, there you have it...basically the same car, but slightly different.

Still no LSD and no manual????

Nothing really to brag or write about...it's not a new model, just a refresh!

Last edited by sk911; Yesterday at 09:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sk911:
2SG5 (Yesterday), MAXFPS (Today), shrimp money (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
rmb1973
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=sk911;19606879]There quite a few differences between the .2 and .1 base, but none add up to any additional performance. All are implemented to make the new model slightly more attractive than the old.

- Brake rotor only sizing where increased (330mm to 350mm), .1 base 4 piston calipers remain the same on the .2 base

I have seen some people state that the 992.2 calipers are 6 piston in the front and 4 piston in the rear. Is this incorrect and only the disc’s are larger than the 992.1 with the same caliper size?
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

There has been more than one reviewer who has stated that the brakes are 6 piston up front and 4 in rear. Not saying that your info is incorrect but I haven’t been able to see anything factual yet in specs. Also the new intercooler from the Turbo will indeed cool the air at a higher rate
This is essentially a .1 GTS de tuned
M Engineering will make this .2 Carrera a monster. No need for Turbo or intercooler upgrade it’s already there .
The following 3 users liked this post by 3520MMF:
2SG5 (Yesterday), Hunky (Yesterday), rmb1973 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 98 Posts

[quote=rmb1973;19606914]
Originally Posted by sk911
There quite a few differences between the .2 and .1 base, but none add up to any additional performance. All are implemented to make the new model slightly more attractive than the old.

- Brake rotor only sizing where increased (330mm to 350mm), .1 base 4 piston calipers remain the same on the .2 base

I have seen some people state that the 992.2 calipers are 6 piston in the front and 4 piston in the rear. Is this incorrect and only the disc’s are larger than the 992.1 with the same caliper size?
992 World premier video...at the 4:00 mark

Right from Frank Moser's mouth...

rmb1973 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
rmb1973
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=sk911;19606933]
Originally Posted by rmb1973

992 World premier video...at the 4:00 mark

Right from Frank Moser's mouth...

World Premiere Of The New Porsche 911 (992.2) (youtube.com)
Thank you for pointing that out. That is pretty clear and should clear up any confusion.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for that. I was going by Jonny Lieberman in his MT print review stated that they were 6 up front 4 rear and so did others in reviews
Its a shame that these reviewers get the info wrong.
rmb1973 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
autozero
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sk911

- The center tach is now digital, which some have complained about...but it now has the ability to "clock" the display putting the redline at the top of the gauge. The new tach also has the ability to change the gauge background color to one of 5 different colors. A colored tach background was an option for the .1 and if selected, the color selected was the color you were stuck with.
Can anyone confirm the accuracy of the statement that you can change the background color of the digital tach? If this is indeed the case why does Porsche offer it as a priced option to change the color of the sport chrono along with the tach?
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,220 Likes on 2,083 Posts

On average, Porsche has produced around 25k and max 35k 911s per year from 1998 to 2023.
In 2023 it produced 55k while also increasing prices in 2022, 2023, and now 2024.
How sustainable is this? Seems like the pendulum is already swinging back.
It starts, in Chyyyyyna

Wilder (Today)

Quick Reply: What is the 992.2 carrara like to drive?