Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the 992.2 carrara like to drive?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM
LemmyCook
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What is the 992.2 carrara like to drive?

I must be going crazy. I've scoured the forums. I've looked at professional reviews. I got so fed up I created an account just to ask this one question: what is the lambda=1 992.2 base carrera actually like to drive? It seems that every post and article talks about everything except this: it's either all about the GTS and the base model changes are only mentioned in passing, or it's about superficial things like looks, stats, etc. Sure, many reviews mention the new turbo and the new intercooler, and maybe the bigger brakes. But how does the retuning for lambda=1 combined with these changes make the car feel?

All else being equal, you want smaller turbos, not bigger ones, right? Yet everyone seems to mention the bigger turbos as if they are welcome. Why? To me, the new carrera seems like a big downgrade. Who cares about a measly 9hp.

So, has anyone here test driven it or seen a good review about how the engine feels?
The following 3 users liked this post by LemmyCook:
rmb1973 (Yesterday), soguinness (Yesterday), zzt930 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 66 Posts

(deleted)

Last edited by Brad Stinson; Yesterday at 03:18 PM. Reason: oops, can't read
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
Porsche4Live
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The pros of the new base vs the old one:
- Bigger brakes
- Bigger turbos mean more tuning potential (if you plan to do that)

Lamda one means that the engine doesn't use too much fuel at the top of the rev range list most performance engines.

Cons is price and cheaper interior.
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
zzt930
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The base Carrera 992.2 does not have an electric motor spinning the turbos. The 992.2 GTS does. The OP is referring only to the 992.2 base Carrera.
The following users liked this post:
soguinness (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
Plenty of driving reviews out there, e.g.
As much as I love savagegeese, their review (and most everyone else out there) focuses on the GTS and not the base that OP is interested in.

AutotopNL seems to be the only base review that focuses on driving:

MAXFPS (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Yes but do they cover the new logo shelf?
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,078 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by LemmyCook
All else being equal, you want smaller turbos, not bigger ones, right? Yet everyone seems to mention the bigger turbos as if they are welcome. Why? To me, the new carrera seems like a big downgrade. Who cares about a measly 9hp.
Yes, you want smaller turbos that spool faster if you want less lag. You want bigger turbos if you want to tune. I'm with you on this.
I'm also with you on the new base being a downgrade. I prefer the new bumpers but can't get over the be-like-everyone-else digital dash, be like-everyone else start button (not on a 911!!!), and Porsche's unending price hikes that I swear will come back and bite them in the *** in the not so distant future.
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeah the all digital dash and cheap looking plastic push button are garbage. I have zero interest in the 992.2 so far and won't be buying this generation unless they come out with something amazing.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 141 Posts

Things change, cars are different. I know a guy who still believes that his '67 427 Tri-Power Corvette is the ultimate sports car bar none including everything available now. He is comfortable living in the past with denial as his wingman.
The 992.2 should have amazing throtle response with the combiantion of an electically augmented turbo charger and the hybrid blast of low end torque. This improvement will be quite welcome and make the most current 911 even more desireable for the vast majority of us.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 452 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Things change, cars are different. I know a guy who still believes that his '67 427 Tri-Power Corvette is the ultimate sports car bar none including everything available now. He is comfortable living in the past with denial as his wingman.
Eh...

I'll allow it
The following 5 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
breny4104 (Yesterday), Dennis C (Today), MAXFPS (Yesterday), PSPorsche (Today), Wilder (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
suffer
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
AutotopNL seems to be the only base review that focuses on driving:
How can you focus on the driving when he's wearing the Porsche watch upside-down??
EYEHAVEYOU (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

He is comfortable living in the past with denial as his wingman.
Hilarious.
Not everyone thinks that "new" or "change" equals "better".
It doesn't mean they are in denial.
It means their priorities and tastes are different from yours.
Smart money spends seven figures to acquire "old" 911s for a reason.
They don't make them like they used to.
I enjoy my 992. For pure driving pleasure, I enjoy old 911s I own far more.
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

The 992.2 should have amazing throtle response with the combiantion of an electically augmented turbo charger and the hybrid blast of low end torque. This improvement will be quite welcome and make the most current 911 even more desireable for the vast majority of us.
All of this only applies to the GTS and is irrelevant to the base, which is the focus in this thread.

Originally Posted by suffer
How can you focus on the driving when he's wearing the Porsche watch upside-down??
Hahah I had to avert my eyes there.

Last edited by EYEHAVEYOU; Yesterday at 01:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Stespa
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
…Porsche's unending price hikes that I swear will come back and bite them in the *** in the not so distant future.
It might be a coincidence but in the last week of July I have been offered two allocations (October delivery) for 992.2 from two different dealers. Never happened with 992.1.
I think the pressure dealers are receiving from Porsche to keep high margins in order to recover from the impact of EVs stagnant sales (to be polite) is creating a bit of frustration even among the most experienced sales agents and manager. They are the firsts to know that this prices are going to bite them badly.
Wilder (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stespa
It might be a coincidence but in the last week of July I have been offered two allocations (October delivery) for 992.2 from two different dealers. Never happened with 992.1.
I think the pressure dealers are receiving from Porsche to keep high margins in order to recover from the impact of EVs stagnant sales (to be polite) is creating a bit of frustration even among the most experienced sales agents and manager. They are the firsts to know that this prices are going to bite them badly.
On average, Porsche has produced around 25k and max 35k 911s per year from 1998 to 2023.
In 2023 it produced 55k while also increasing prices in 2022, 2023, and now 2024.
How sustainable is this? Seems like the pendulum is already swinging back.
Stespa (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: What is the 992.2 carrara like to drive?