Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The first honest 992.2 review?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:06 AM
pal
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

I didn’t get much value from that YouTube review of the 992.2 Carrera, and he even got the engine displacement wrong, calling it a 3.6 vs a 3.0. And, it was very repetitive wrt his feelings on the interior, and felt like he couldn’t move on.

The review aside, if your in the market for a base 992.2 Carrera, the big difference compared to the 992.1 base, is that it uses bigger turbos and a larger intercooler. Those changes make it a good base car for aftermarket power modifications. If you don’t plan to do those, you may want to try and get a 992.1 Carrera S allocation, or find a .1 base or S that’s on a dealer lot that meets your criteria. Either way, a .1 or a .2 base will be great cars, as will a .1 S. If you want a manual, then a .1 S or GTS are your options right now.
Old Today, 12:16 AM
autozero
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXFPS

I have this exact 992.2 in Lugano blue and chalk interior coming in, so I loved the up-close look at it. And I’ll ask the dealer to look for any bulletins on the power steering (which I’m getting).
Seems like there's a lot of filtering going on the video bc it doesn't look anything like lugano blue in the vid even though he said in the vid that it was lugano blue.
Old Today, 12:51 AM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pal
I didn’t get much value from that YouTube review of the 992.2 Carrera, and he even got the engine displacement wrong, calling it a 3.6 vs a 3.0. And, it was very repetitive wrt his feelings on the interior, and felt like he couldn’t move on.

The review aside, if your in the market for a base 992.2 Carrera, the big difference compared to the 992.1 base, is that it uses bigger turbos and a larger intercooler. Those changes make it a good base car for aftermarket power modifications. If you don’t plan to do those, you may want to try and get a 992.1 Carrera S allocation, or find a .1 base or S that’s on a dealer lot that meets your criteria. Either way, a .1 or a .2 base will be great cars, as will a .1 S. If you want a manual, then a .1 S or GTS are your options right now.

That indeed was a joke of a review. A so called enthusiast who brings up nothing about the upgraded turbos /intercooler and brakes like you stated but instead whines and moans about a fake twist key missing and a full digital dash. A honest Rennlist review … must be a member here.
Had a laugh at the 3.6 also

The following 6 users liked this post by 3520MMF:
alaris (Today), Haros (Today), pal (Today), Pman911 (Today), rmb1973 (Today), silversurfer6 (Today) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Today, 01:43 AM
gwud2go
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't de-select LKA in the configurator as far as I can tell. LKA (Lane Keep Assist) is different than ALK (Active Lane Keeping) which you have to option for as part of Innodrive.
From what I can tell, the interior is the Black / Limestone Beige option rather than Slate Grey / Chalk because dash and seat sides are still black as opposed to grey. But it could also be the heavy color grading he does in his video.
Old Today, 02:25 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Porsche really needs to ease up on the cross platform component sharing with the things that the driver can see and/or feel. Instrumentation and Haptics are a huge part of what has made a Porsche a Porsche for a long time. It's as if Porsche decided that the 914 was the perfect marketing strategy. If Porsche wants to compete with Ferrari or any other super premium cars, this 992.2 is NOT the way to do this. IMHO, the 992.2 is now squarely competing with the Corvette, but at a significantly higher price point and maybe loosing the technological edge as well. If the 911 is going to remain an ICE powered sports car, Porsche needs to avoid adopting the look and feel of a Tesla or a Lucid interior..
Unfortunately the influence of VAG bean counters extends well into the Porsche design studio. I lament the loss of the traditional window switches last seen on the 997 and was informed by someone very much in the know on such things that too was a VAG parts sharing impost.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (Today)
Old Today, 02:27 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoothoperator
he said it is the first 911 that will depreciate as soon you drive out from dealership. That is concerning...
Hardly.
rmb1973 (Today)
Old Today, 06:03 AM
laggylaggy
Track Day

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Entire video felt like I was watching someone who got out of the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Other than the safety features (that all new cars have) I couldn’t care less about the issues he raised.

I’m buying the 992.2 over a used .1 because I think they have done a great job improving the look of the car. The front and rear look a lot more modern and clean, especially the rear - I see 992.1s now and think the light cluster looks very dated. If I bought a .1 I know I’d regret it as soon as I saw a .2 on the road.

Additionally, the cockpit screen is a POSITIVE for me. Shock horror.
The following 4 users liked this post by laggylaggy:
docrcab (Today), MAXFPS (Today), pal (Today), rmb1973 (Today)
Old Today, 09:31 AM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Unfortunately the influence of VAG bean counters extends well into the Porsche design studio. I lament the loss of the traditional window switches last seen on the 997 and was informed by someone very much in the know on such things that too was a VAG parts sharing impost.
Not only bean counters. Blum (the CEO) has recently announced to shareholders his 'Road to 20' initiative. That is, 20% margin (from 14 or 15 currently).

Also ISA (intelligent speed assistance) has to be active by default during engine start in all EU countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intell...implementation
autozero (Today)
Old Today, 09:39 AM
R N M
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by McNamara
This is the key here. He's lived with some amazing GT cars for a while now. I'm sorry but especially with the inflated prices these base cars are just not going to impress the same way. What's more, the nannification, while I'm sure not entirely Porsche's fault, is taking us backwards from an enjoyment standpoint.
The dude drives all types of cars. He was not complaining about the driving. He was complaining how the tech ruins the enjoyment and that it sounds average. All this is true.

The new interior takes away hallmarks of the 911 that make it unique and special. The start button looks like its from VW Golf and digital cluster is same as on any entry level $30k car. The dumb razor shifter and no manual option are further items he disliked which are all valid.

This is $150k + now for base car so it deserves to be held to high standard.
Booth9999 (Today)
Old Today, 09:41 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,513 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi
It was a loaner from Porsche Switzerland.
Probably his last after that review!
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
autozero (Today), pal (Today)
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Crusje
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 134 Posts

He's had a bunch of Porsche loaners over the years. It's funny though. Anything negative and people will call it a clickbait nothing review. People only want fluff to justify their purchase I guess
Booth9999 (Today)
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by laggylaggy
Entire video felt like I was watching someone who got out of the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Other than the safety features (that all new cars have) I couldn’t care less about the issues he raised.

I’m buying the 992.2 over a used .1 because I think they have done a great job improving the look of the car. The front and rear look a lot more modern and clean, especially the rear - I see 992.1s now and think the light cluster looks very dated. If I bought a .1 I know I’d regret it as soon as I saw a .2 on the road.

Additionally, the cockpit screen is a POSITIVE for me. Shock horror.
There is no exterior update for the 992.2 that would motivate me to move on from a 992.1. As a matter of fact, it is the opposite for me. Much prefer the .1 over the funny looking gills of the .2 and that is even before we move to the interior
pal (Today)
Old Today, 10:27 AM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
He's had a bunch of Porsche loaners over the years. It's funny though. Anything negative and people will call it a clickbait nothing review. People only want fluff to justify their purchase I guess

Kinda like a current 992.1 owner posting a clickbait vid to justify their purchase. It’s funny though
Old Today, 10:40 AM
R N M
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
There is no exterior update for the 992.2 that would motivate me to move on from a 992.1. As a matter of fact, it is the opposite for me. Much prefer the .1 over the funny looking gills of the .2 and that is even before we move to the interior
The worst part of the 992.2 exterior design is the taillight shelf. Its just cheap black plastic - I couldn’t believe it when i first saw it in person. On the pics it’s not noticeable.

I do like the Base car with Sportdesign and Lugano Blue color.

Last edited by R N M; Today at 10:41 AM.
Old Today, 10:44 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 420 Posts

Seems like he did not research the things that annoyed him - most can be disabled or not ordered.

Regarding depreciation, does he have a crystal ball? Does the 911 base now has more depreciation because it is 10k cheaper?

By the way I agree he is a fine reviewer but this review was kind of shallow and not because he did like the car.

But I will try to find his 992.1 base car review - if someone liked the 992.1 base, what is the reason not to like the 992.2 base which is the same car with bigger turbos and a few other improvements?
The following 2 users liked this post by silversurfer6:
Butzi (Today), rmb1973 (Today)

Quick Reply: The first honest 992.2 review?