Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is non-dealership maintenance a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jockey
Interesting. I'm about to trade in my 992 (which I got CPO) and the dealership is quoting around $3300 is their cost for another CPO inspection before they can turn the car around.
I always love those conversations. An unfazed "wow, that's impressive" from me and change the subject.
They'll beat you up on trade-in value, then make a lot more on sales of a CPO vs non.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,477 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Jockey
Interesting. I'm about to trade in my 992 (which I got CPO) and the dealership is quoting around $3300 is their cost for another CPO inspection before they can turn the car around.
CPO cost comprised of two things. Cost of immediate maintenance to bring car up to CPO standards (brake pad thickness, tire tread depth, serpentine belt due, brake fluid refresh, etc.) and premium to Porsche to extend warranty two years. The dealer knows me and that my cars never need any immediate maintenance so they want them. But, CPO can be costly if the trade in needs a bunch of routine maintenance that has been deferred (tires, plugs, brakes, etc.).

Last edited by Fullyield; Yesterday at 01:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
A Porsche store has serious requirements for technicians and required equipment and tools. Ask a dealer principal how much money they spend on diagnostic equipment and tools is annually. A non Porsche store may not have those requirements and standards. Example Porsche early this year changed the oil requirements for newer GT CARS. What oil is the non Porsche store using. Where all service done and required would matter to me.
This is complete bollocks and exactly the FUD that dealers would want you to believe. At many dealers the techs that do basic maintenance are the lowest on the food chain. The only thing you’ll get from a dealer are absurdly inflated prices on every day meat and potatoes operations.

My strong guidance is to develop a lasting relationship with a quality independent - you won’t be sorry
vg247 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

The only person at any dealership with less experience than the guy changing oil is the guy washing cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
jlegelis (Yesterday), Mike818 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The only person at any dealership with less experience than the guy changing oil is the guy washing cars.
You mean the "detailers" at your local Porsche dealer are not certified professional wax-ologists? Some of these guys are crack head HS drop outs that were 2nd shift Whopper floppers last month.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 01:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,143 Likes on 2,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
You mean the "detailers" at your local Porsche dealer are not certified professional wax-ologists? Some of these guys are crack head HS drop outs that were 2nd shift Whopper floppers last month.
Sir, the correct term is porter, or lot technician.

Both jobs I held in high school.
Fullyield (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 188 Posts

Over the years I have learned to never underestimate the incompetence of other people working on my stuff. The only way I'm not doing something myself is if It's not reasonable for me to acquire the necessary equipment to do a good job.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Sir, the correct term is porter, or lot technician.

Both jobs I held in high school.
LOL, so did I and we were certainly not considered "technicians" of any kind.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike818
Over the years I have learned to never underestimate the incompetence of other people working on my stuff. The only way I'm not doing something myself is if It's not reasonable for me to acquire the necessary equipment to do a good job.
It could not be said much better than this.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hunky
LOL, so did I and we were certainly not considered "technicians" of any kind.
And the correct term for the 18 year old “porter” who then gets promoted to change oil and repair, mount and balance tires is “grease monkey”. Ask me how I know.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
A Porsche store has serious requirements for technicians and required equipment and tools. Ask a dealer principal how much money they spend on diagnostic equipment and tools is annually. A non Porsche store may not have those requirements and standards. Example Porsche early this year changed the oil requirements for newer GT CARS. What oil is the non Porsche store using. Where all service done and required would matter to me.
My Porsche dealer put 5W-30 in my car which calls for C40! So much for the dealer service. I service both myself but would take a good Indy over any Porsche dealer. I not concerned with resale value.

Last edited by raaizin; Yesterday at 08:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by raaizin:
Icegrill (Yesterday), OMTarga4S (Today), silverscooby27 (Today)

Quick Reply: Is non-dealership maintenance a bad idea?