Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024 | 02:53 PM
Merlin_AZ
Intermediate

Hey guys. 2022 Carrera S here.
I've had the car for 10 months, and I just started getting occasional yellow -5 warnings on my tires, and it has happened on different ones.
If I check the comfort box on and back off, it removes the warning.
Changing to winter tires and back to summer didn't cure it.
I'm running 33/38.
The full load and comfort check boxes are OFF.
I'm getting a new windshield Monday because of a crack, and I asked the service advisor to have it looked at.
He told me over the phone that the tires have to be set at what the door frame says, and I told him um...no, that the user manual states for partial load, 33/38 is fine.
He fought me on it.
I'll see what he says Monday, but I don't think they'll do anything about it.
Anyone run into this before?

Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 07-20-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2024 | 03:43 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ
I've had the car for 10 months, and I just started getting occasional yellow -5 warnings on my tires, and it has happened on different ones.
I'm running 33/38.
I'm getting a new windshield Monday because of a crack, and I asked the service advisor to have it looked at.
He told me over the phone that the tires have to be set at what the door frame says, and I told him um...no, that the user manual states for partial load, 33/38 is fine.
He fought me on it.
Did you check the tire pressures with a pressure gauge? The only time I’ve got this warning is because the pressure was indeed low after picking up a screw in the tread.

Pull the manual out and show him the page on tire pressures. Then watch the cognitive dissonance unfold.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Lowrey (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024 | 11:55 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ
I'm running 33/38.
He fought me on it.
To avoid the warnings, you need to “record” your reference tire pressures in the TPMS with the following procesure:
  • Adjust your cold tire pressures using an accurate pressure gauge.
  • In the TPMS screen on the PCM, select winter tires then select summer tires again (or vice vera if you’re on winter tires)
  • Then select whatever combination of option is closest to whatever you inflated your tires to between comfort/normal and normal/full load.
  • You well get a message stating the TPMS has been reset and that it needs ~25km to record the pressures (no pressure will be displayed for a few miles of driving, usually less than the stated 25km).

I find it to be a bit of an over complicated procedure compared to other cars I’ve own/owned, but that’s how it needs to be done (it is in the owner’s manual).

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-21-2024 at 11:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
Dave16 (07-24-2024), ErikinSC (07-22-2024), silverscooby27 (07-26-2024)
Old 07-21-2024 | 10:19 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
There's a lot of poor information being shared in this thread by people who mean well but may be adding to your confusion. The door jamb sticker lists the pressure for Full Load (4x passengers, fully loaded frunk, driving Autobahn speeds, etc.) for liability purposes but feels like garbage for most driving. The Comfort Pressure listed in the PCM is for parts of the world with poor road quality and infrastructure where you're also not likely doing much high speed or high performance driving; you need to turn that checkbox on if you're running this pressure so that the PCM doesn't give you low pressure warnings all the time. My recommendation would be to use the Partial Load settings from the manual (33/38 for a 2WD Carrera coupe, I think it's an extra psi in the rear for the Cab) if it's mostly just you and an occasional passenger in the car - the ride and performance is night/day different.
I cannot say I agree 100% with this post. While it is true that sustained high speed driving requires higher pressures, “high performance” driving, where increased tire grip is desired, usually benefits from lower pressures. Lower pressures will yield higher tread temperature through increased rolling band deformation, which increases tire grip. As a more extreme example, when driving at the track, I start at 24psi cold and aim for 31/32psi hot front and rear.

I find the comfort pressures (30psi front and 35psi rear on my car) offer the best compromise, especially since I cannot do much sustained high speed driving where I live.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-21-2024 at 10:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
OMTarga4S (07-22-2024), silverscooby27 (07-26-2024)
Old 07-22-2024 | 02:20 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I cannot say I agree 100% with this post. While it is true that sustained high speed driving requires higher pressures, “high performance” driving, where increased tire grip is desired, usually benefits from lower pressures. Lower pressures will yield higher tread temperature through increased rolling band deformation, which increases tire grip. As a more extreme example, when driving at the track, I start at 24psi cold and aim for 31/32psi hot front and rear.

I find the comfort pressures (30psi front and 35psi rear on my car) offer the best compromise, especially since I cannot do much sustained high speed driving where I live.
Not to mention that partial load comfort pressures are what Porsche actually uses when the car was designed/tested. All other pressures are CYA and/or high speed (+160 MPH) compromises thereof.
Old 07-23-2024 | 02:50 PM
Merlin_AZ
Intermediate

Thanks for the recommendations.
I've since reset my pressures to 33/38, again.
Changed the PCM from summer, to winter, and back to summer, again.
We'll see what happens...
Old 07-24-2024 | 02:23 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

For the life of me, I cannot find any mention of tyre pressures anywhere in the manual. The index even gives a page number for pressure tables - which are not there.

Where are you guys seeing this? A picture / page number would be great.

Promises tyre pressure tables on page 209

Page 209 contains no tables. Nor for that matter does any other page in the manual.

Plate on door.

looks like 30F 32R per the plate.
Old 07-24-2024 | 03:17 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by celestequattro
For the life of me, I cannot find any mention of tyre pressures anywhere in the manual. The index even gives a page number for pressure tables - which are not there.

Where are you guys seeing this? A picture / page number would be great.

Promises tyre pressure tables on page 209

Page 209 contains no tables. Nor for that matter does any other page in the manual.

Plate on door.

looks like 30F 32R per the plate.
It is in “Technical Data” section of the owner’s manual (pages 304 to 306 in mine).

You can also find in the on-line owner’s manual in the MyPorsche app under Technical Data:

Screenshot example:

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-24-2024 at 03:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
J Irwan (07-24-2024), PSPorsche (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024 | 03:42 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Alternatively you can also look it up on the online manual: Owner's Manual (porsche.com).

Just search for "Standard tire pressure"

Old 07-25-2024 | 10:37 AM
F8T and 911T
Racer

Oh wow… good thread… mine came with 38F and 42R and I’ve left it alone… but I’ve noticed how HARD it drives… VERY bumpy and stiff…. It seems, after reading this thread, that I am way overinflated, especially for south Florida heat. All agree? I should drop about 5 lbs all the way around?
Old 07-25-2024 | 10:39 AM
J Irwan
Racer

Originally Posted by F8T and 911T
Oh wow… good thread… mine came with 38F and 42R and I’ve left it alone… but I’ve noticed how HARD it drives… VERY bumpy and stiff…. It seems, after reading this thread, that I am way overinflated, especially for south Florida heat. All agree? I should drop about 5 lbs all the way around?
Mine came with 37F/45R at delivery.

Since then I drop it of to 34F/39R and ride is softer now
The following 2 users liked this post by J Irwan:
F8T and 911T (07-25-2024), porshanut (08-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 03:40 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Yes. And based on @celestequattro 's picture, we should all be even lower.
Old 07-25-2024 | 04:46 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

There are different charts in the manual.

Determine whether you want to run standard or comfort pressure, then select the chart that corresponds to your model and trim. Adjust the pressures according to the chart and change the settings in your PCM to align the TPMS with your chosen pressures.
Old 07-25-2024 | 06:42 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

And in my November 2023 build Carrera T manual there are no charts 😂

No pressures in the table in the online

manual

Tells you to look at the plate
Old 07-25-2024 | 06:44 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

Sounds like 30/32 for me and just drive it. Thanks guys for the input.

Quick Reply: Standard tire pressure