Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Baruth on journalistic pressure and the new GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024 | 11:56 AM
pal
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
Porsche can't do anything about the government mandates, the engineering has to follow along or they can't produce an ICE car at all.
This is where I landed after understanding the details of the new motor and drivetrain.

IMHO, Porsche has done quite well to build a compelling 911, and tried to minimize downsides, while targeting compliance with government mandated emissions standards, and looking ahead to how they may evolve in the next 5 years. The only frivolous things I can see are making RWS standard, and potentially, the electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Skipping both of these, while making the e-turbo and lithium battery compensate for the response gap from a big turbo and less ignition timing, may have saved a decent amount of the weight the car has gained. Of course, I get the downside of this approach - not enough of a hp increase, and we all know that power numbers sell cars to the masses, besides a very small group of us here that are OCD about the entire package.
Old 06-29-2024 | 11:59 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Shogunade
, when was the last time you saw negative review of any car in a publication?
This is the truth.

The media, in general…and not just the car media…existence and well being depends on advertising dollars. If they pan a car from a major brand, they will lose revenue in the long run, as the manufacturer will take it’s money to a media source that only talks good about their products.

Like most things in life….follow the money if you want to get to the truth.

That said, just because one person’s opinion is negative, does not mean something is not worthy.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 12:40 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
RE: “I quoted him”

Therein lies your problem. No verification. Further, if you don’t know it to be true, then don’t include it…as it adds nothing to your story. Just some friendly advice - Most things on the internet are opinions, exaggerations or out and out lies.

Really don’t care about his point. We already have good reason to believe that he is either a liar, or an exaggerator. I use that same metric when choosing who to vote for. Once a liar, always a liar.
Ignoring you at this point. This is not a discussion about his paycheck but rather about his message which you are refusing to address because you cant or wont . Dont bother because you are now on ignore list . Your off topic posts should be removed !!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
frederickcook87 (06-29-2024), RudyP (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 12:52 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Y’all need to get out and go enjoy your Saturday morning. Maybe try going for a drive in your car, or give it a wash at least. Breathe, my dudes.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 12:53 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nyca
Porsche can't do anything about the government mandates, the engineering has to follow along or they can't produce an ICE car at all. Sure it could be lighter but where can you drop pounds? The 994 will surely have a smaller/lighter battery unit of identical capacity, so they can trim some weight there.
USA companies DID pushback . Both GM and Ford took a stand . See example . .https://electrek.co/2024/05/13/ford-...100000-per-ev/

So did Japan .https://www.topspeed.com/why-toyota-...tric-cars/?h22

Italy , France and Germany voted out politicians and have begun their stance .
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/italy-e...en-transition/

Obviously Porsche (and others ) spent billions . I think the ideal goal would be to have ICE and EV coexist . leave the CHOICE to consumers as to what they wish to buy , and allow the market to dictate success . There is room for BOTH .

Porsche should not have to build a compliance car and then pay journalists to doctor their reviews .
Baruth is right . Although out of a job he ought to be celebrated as a driving enthusiast . Instead his dissent rendered him outcast .
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
jmrichards (06-29-2024), verstraete (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 12:59 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pal
This is where I landed after understanding the details of the new motor and drivetrain.

IMHO, Porsche has done quite well to build a compelling 911, and tried to minimize downsides, while tarpliance with government mandated emissions standards, and looking ahead to how they may evolve in the next 5 years.geting com The only frivolous things I can see are making RWS standard, and potentially, the electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Skipping both of these, while making the e-turbo and lithium battery compensate for the response gap from a big turbo and less ignition timing, may have saved a decent amount of the weight the car has gained. Of course, I get the downside of this approach - not enough of a hp increase, and we all know that power numbers sell cars to the masses, besides a very small group of us here that are OCD about the entire package.
Thy built an extremely complicated compliance car which Baruth stated the following ---
Quote -
" There’s something legitimately pathetic about this car. It’s a staggering misappropriation of resources — imagine what the impoverished and desperate engineers who dragged the 944 out of the 924 shell and the 928 parts bin could have done with this level of funding — and it’s also a fairly blunt repudiation of what the “GTS” badge has come to mean on a 911 over the past 14 years. Furthermore, they might as well have “SERVICE AT DEALER ONLY” contrast-color stitched into the dashboard. It’s as if the lesson Porsche took from rising 993 values was “The new cars need to be planned-obsolescent junk with impossible servicing needs”.

Yes, it will be quick in a straight line, but Porsche would be unwise to stake any portion of the 911’s reputation on that in the Plaid and Lucid era. Their obsession with trivialities like “smog at full throttle” will end up killing these cars stone dead, both in the “does anybody want to buy one” the “it’s 61 months old, can anyone fix this daughterboard failure?” .
Old 06-29-2024 | 01:41 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Ignoring you at this point. This is not a discussion about his paycheck but rather about his message which you are refusing to address because you cant or wont . Dont bother because you are now on ignore list . Your off topic posts should be removed !!!!

Great 👍 and 🤞

But this thread is just another, in a long list of threads you started (getting old, man) about the 992.2, how you don;t like EV’s, you don’t like the hybrid 911, blah, blah.

And a LOT of posters have said as much….move it along, gramps.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-29-2024 at 01:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
rasetsu (06-29-2024), user 999993337 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 01:42 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Y’all need to get out and go enjoy your Saturday morning. Maybe try going for a drive in your car, or give it a wash at least. Breathe, my dudes.

Can’t speak for others, but just got back from abbreviated drive.
Old 06-29-2024 | 01:49 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

IDK why this got pigeon-holed to salary but it was an entertaining read and I could see the truth in it. I mean, when was the last time you saw negative review of any car in a publication?
The Fisker Ocean is the only car I've ever seen consistently reviewed negatively by what I'll call the "Buff Book" magazines, well maybe the Pontiac Aztec for it's looks, but I digress. The articles are entertaining to read and so there's value in that, but none of them are in the business of annoying their advertisers or their readers.
Old 06-29-2024 | 01:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

IDK why this got pigeon-holed to salary but it was an entertaining read and I could see the truth in it. I mean, when was the last time you saw negative review of any car in a publication?
Famously, Chris Harris got blacklisted for awhile after exposing Ferrari gaming the system, sending ringer cars for review.

He has an S/T right now - we'll see where that goes.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlexCeres (06-29-2024), yrralis1 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 02:03 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Funny, I hear, and read, just the opposite. Many more “negative” slants on EV’s, than positive one. For one thing, most old time reviewers, that have been reviewing cars for decades, have very little experience with EV’s. Often, I’ve found that these reviewers fall back on what they know best

Just follow the money. Most advertisers and consumers are ICE based, not EV based. So writing a negative review of an EV car has very few consequences in terms of lost revenue.
Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The Fisker Ocean is the only car I've ever seen consistently reviewed negatively by what I'll call the "Buff Book" magazines, well maybe the Pontiac Aztec for it's looks, but I digress. The articles are entertaining to read and so there's value in that, but none of them are in the business of annoying their advertisers or their readers.
To add to your post….it’s much easier for the media to dump on a small EV startup company like Fisker….than it is for them to dump on a company with deep advertising budgets like VW, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, or for that matter, Porsche.

Not saying that the negative comments about Fisker weren’t deserved.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-29-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2024 | 03:16 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Just got back from a wonderful morning drive of my "useless" 4 cylinder Cayman and hanging out with good Porsche people. Not surprisingly I see another new thread by our resident yelling-at-the-clouds grouchy old man seeking yet again to gather support for his personal vendetta campaign of hate against a car that none of us have yet to drive.

Whatever validity to this rant about media bias, which is something that has always existed, is negated by OP's insistence of injecting his pompously arrogant judgemental attitude with the statement that "The person who buys this car will be primarily interested in idling it up and down some 25mph city street for the purpose of getting as much envy-based validation as possible until a Ferrari shows up". F' off with this crap. I personally have no plans to buy a .2 GTS for various reasons but WTF is wrong with you? 66 years old...acting more like a 16 year old making troll posts in his mom's basement. You clearly have issues that extend well beyond what Porsche is doing with their products.
The following 4 users liked this post by rasetsu:
AlexCeres (06-29-2024), CodyBigdog (06-29-2024), Icegrill (06-29-2024), MingusDew (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024 | 03:44 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Just got back from a wonderful morning drive of my "useless" 4 cylinder Cayman and hanging out with good Porsche people. Not surprisingly I see another new thread by our resident yelling-at-the-clouds grouchy old man seeking yet again to gather support for his personal vendetta campaign of hate against a car that none of us have yet to drive.

Whatever validity to this rant about media bias, which is something that has always existed, is negated by OP's insistence of injecting his pompously arrogant judgemental attitude with the statement that "The person who buys this car will be primarily interested in idling it up and down some 25mph city street for the purpose of getting as much envy-based validation as possible until a Ferrari shows up". F' off with this crap. I personally have no plans to buy a .2 GTS for various reasons but WTF is wrong with you? 66 years old...acting more like a 16 year old making troll posts in his mom's basement. You clearly have issues that extend well beyond what Porsche is doing with their products.
I am not Jack Baruth. What he wrote about the industry in journalism as well as the objectives of Porsche I happen to agree with. Several others here agreed as well, and found his passages, entertaining and informative. The only replies that you have written to me on any of threads have been personal attack's , which usually get ignored by the group. I have also not taken the bait. Up till now, I have not placed you on my list, but that will change as of this moment. I will no longer be able to read what you write and you can do the same if you wish. It’s your choice for whatever reason you persist in reading my posts only to attack the poster rather than the topic reveals more about you than me or Jack in this case. Bye!

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-29-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2024 | 03:53 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

I am not Jack Baruth. What he wrote about the industry in journalism as well as the objectives of Porsche I happen to agree with. Several others here agreed as well, and found his passages, entertaining and informative. The only replies that you have written to me on any of threads have been Personal , which usually get ignored by the group. Up till now, I have not placed you on my list, but that will change as of this moment. I will no longer be able to read what you write and you can do the same if you wish. It’s your choice for whatever reason you persist in reading my posts only to the poster rather than the topic reveals more about you than me or Jack in this case. Bye!
I actually have zero issues with the article you shared.

It's your incessant need to inject some way of degrading the decisions of others who do not align with your opinions that are what I cannot stand about you.

And THANK YOU for ignoring me! Best thing I've seen you write yet! I know there's nothing anyone can do to change your sociopathetic comments but I LOVE that I can provide a counter to them knowing you won't respond because unlike the other forums in which you weaponize the admins and drive other users off with your arrogance, there are people here who are willing to speak out against your constant a-holier than though attitude.
Old 06-29-2024 | 03:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

USA companies DID pushback . Both GM and Ford took a stand . See example . .https://electrek.co/2024/05/13/ford-...100000-per-ev/

So did Japan .https://www.topspeed.com/why-toyota-...tric-cars/?h22

Italy , France and Germany voted out politicians and have begun their stance .
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/italy-e...en-transition/

Obviously Porsche (and others ) spent billions . I think the ideal goal would be to have ICE and EV coexist . leave the CHOICE to consumers as to what they wish to buy , and allow the market to dictate success . There is room for BOTH .

Porsche should not have to build a compliance car and then pay journalists to doctor their reviews .
Baruth is right . Although out of a job he ought to be celebrated as a driving enthusiast . Instead his dissent rendered him outcast .
You do have a choice, and you’ll continue to have a choice. Nobody is saying some cars can’t continue to have internal combustion engines, at least here in the US. Even California will allow PHEV vehicles after 2035.

Quick Reply: Jack Baruth on journalistic pressure and the new GTS