Dealership Wants Wire Transfer before pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 02:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Originally Posted by alex2364
It's the most convenient option for the customer, so why not? You need to go to the bank for every other option. I've always used personal checks to pay for cars.
I don't use paper checks. Probably haven't owned such a thing for nearly a decade.

I haven't stepped into a physical bank in over 5 years (ATMs don't count as they are outside of the bank).

I have this thing called a computer, and pay for this service called "internet connection" and between the two, they do amazing things.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:59 PM
C21ban
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 126 Posts

Only issue w/ writing a check is fitting all of the Alpha within the allotted space on a check! Have to write pretty small unless it’s an even number but that would be rare.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:05 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 132 Posts

I just went to a bank and did a cashier's check. Handed it on day of delivery and that was it. In and out in an hour. Guess Porsche doesn't need to sell the add-ons from finance since they make so much profit anyway. Didn't speak to the finance guy at all.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:08 PM
C21ban
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
I just went to a bank and did a cashier's check. Handed it on day of delivery and that was it. In and out in an hour. Guess Porsche doesn't need to sell the add-ons from finance since they make so much profit anyway. Didn't speak to the finance guy at all.
Neither the SA or GM even mentioned any of the warranty/service options and took my out of state personal check so guess it just depends on each store. Then again, due the CDK Global issue, they couldn’t process anything other than a Temp tag so that may have been why they didn’t even bother. Still waiting on paperwork but at least they gave me the car.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:11 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 48 Posts

"Sorry bud, that’s how it’s usually done today. Some take cashier’s check. If you want to use a personal check expect to wait for it to clear before you can take the car."

Maybe your experience - not mine. I buy cars frequently and, other than a deposit, I have never wired funds or paid in advance. Any dealer that requires that as a condition of sale is not a place I would do business with.
Too many things can go wrong and then you, the buyer, have no leverage.
The following users liked this post:
Orca911 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:45 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by alex2364
It's the most convenient option for the customer, so why not? You need to go to the bank for every other option. I've always used personal checks to pay for cars.
What? Can I wire funds through my phone or computer. No need to go to a branch.
rasetsu (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:56 PM
Budman1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

We paid for our 992 via wire as it was more convenient. Had the option of cashiers check or wire and our credit union forgot to overnight the check. Instead of waiting another day, we set up a wire and it was done the same day.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:50 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 298 Posts

You can do it ahead or ask to see the car and then send payment. There is something to be said about inspecting the car before paying. Your call.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:59 PM
F8T and 911T
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Plenty of issues can be found on delivery day - my father bought a car once, went to get it on pickup day - it had a ding in the hood. Needless to say, he didn't pay for the car, walked out and told him to call him when it was repaired. Had he pre-paid for the car, what could be done to compel the dealer to repair it?
oh of course things happen like that but I don’t know ANY dealer, especially with cars of this nature, that wouldn’t just fix, repair, replace whatever the issue was. It’s not like they hold your money and stuff like that.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:02 PM
F8T and 911T
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
I’d fire the salesman, the manager and the finance guy who didn’t get off his *SS to do the deal… I’m sure somehow some finance guy did tag and title work behind the scenes but he fired. Lol
Old 06-26-2024, 05:15 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 404 Posts

What keeps being missed in all this is the fact the OP, at least how I read the original post, believes he had to wire/pay prior to seeing the car, which is simply not the case. The OP can go to the dealer and look at the car and then make a decision. I get the OP wants to pick it up on Friday, but what’s the rush. If you’re not comfortable paying without seeing or driving it first then don’t. Go to the dealer, look at the car, agree on total price and pay.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Res Ips
Only problem I noted (and they thought I was crazy0 was the Porsche crest bottom apex on the right front wheel wasn't pointed toward the air valve.

When they straightened it out I pressed the "OK to transfer" icon on my iPhone
They’re not alone.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:22 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by F8T and 911T
I’d fire the salesman, the manager and the finance guy who didn’t get off his *SS to do the deal… I’m sure somehow some finance guy did tag and title work behind the scenes but he fired. Lol
only on Rennlist will you get people complaining about having to go through the finance department AND people complaining when finance is skipped. Got to love it.
F8T and 911T (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:42 PM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 428 Likes on 256 Posts

Haven’t had a chance to read through all of the comments here.

Don’t worry about it.

You can safely wire your $.

Triple check the routing number and account number at your bank so there was no error in entry, for your own piece of mind.

Porsche won’t run away with your money.

If there are warranty issues with your car, that you discover after delivery, they will take care of you.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:22 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 934 Likes on 522 Posts

That's why you always send a small test wire - to verify the routing and account number. Any careful bank, if you setup a first time destination account and immediately wire $150K to it - that wire isn't going to get processed in 1-2 hours, its going to be held up for manual review, validation, and verification - you are looking at 2 days.

Quick Reply: Dealership Wants Wire Transfer before pickup