Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Dead, Terminal Behind Fusebox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 02:15 PM
detroitr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Dead, Terminal Behind Fusebox?

Hello, first time poster. I searched but could not find a thread about this. So the Ocala Porsche dealer says its normal for the lithium battery to die after 2 weeks and this has stranded me twice now. Yesterday the car was dead and I went to use the terminal to pop the hood, but the terminal had recessed and fallen behind the fuse panel and could not be touched. I called AAA (apparently a mistake) and the tow operator could not find anything to hook to to pull it onto the flat bed since the tow hook is also in the battery compartment. He had to pull off some of the panels in the foot well to access the terminal and did finally open the battery compartment, jump the car and have it towed. Now Porsche Ocala is refusing to touch it without charging me because the tow operator removed a couple panels. Has anyone else had the terminal fall behind the fuse box? Since Porsche refuses to fix it, iI think I'll have to zip tie it off to the side which is really great.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:18 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I would ask the members on this forum that say the lithium battery issues are overblown.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
detroitr (06-12-2024), Fullyield (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 12:50 AM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by detroitr
Hello, first time poster. I searched but could not find a thread about this. So the Ocala Porsche dealer says its normal for the lithium battery to die after 2 weeks and this has stranded me twice now. Yesterday the car was dead and I went to use the terminal to pop the hood, but the terminal had recessed and fallen behind the fuse panel and could not be touched. I called AAA (apparently a mistake) and the tow operator could not find anything to hook to to pull it onto the flat bed since the tow hook is also in the battery compartment. He had to pull off some of the panels in the foot well to access the terminal and did finally open the battery compartment, jump the car and have it towed. Now Porsche Ocala is refusing to touch it without charging me because the tow operator removed a couple panels. Has anyone else had the terminal fall behind the fuse box? Since Porsche refuses to fix it, iI think I'll have to zip tie it off to the side which is really great.
So the retractable terminal actually retracted back into the fuse box, became unattached, then fell inside the fuse panel? That's really weird. When I extend mine I have to hold it out to get a clamp on it. Unfortunate that you (or the AAA guy) had to remove panels. Hopefully he didn't break any clips. I went with a permanent charging solution (see here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1178...l#post19485953) so I'm never in that situation again.

Sorry I can't be of more help but appreciate you highlighting this as a risk.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 02:12 AM
MrOhnoez
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah saw your comment on my channel and looked at the car, I've never seen the terminal fall behind like you describe and obviously didn't see much besides a bunch of removed panels. I can't really comment much about the issue due to I guess the conflict on interest lol.
Pretty car though!
Love the spec.

detroitr (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 07:54 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

First thing I do at delivery is move both lug nut security key and tow hook from the frunk to the glovebox. That not only prevents the dead battery issue you had but also covers situation where you cannot open the frunk because of a front end collision.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
detroitr (06-12-2024), readydiverone (06-13-2024), Scott P (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:42 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

good tip @Fullyield
Old 06-12-2024, 10:06 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

That really sucks and I don’t agree with your dealer Re two week battery life. I’ve had both GTS and T of the 992.1 sit for three weeks plus without a tender and no issue. I think it’s a power drain issue and or faulty battery.

I’d sell the car if a new battery doesn’t fix the issue

Last edited by BeepBeep88; 06-12-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:55 PM
detroitr
6th Gear

Yup, it sure did. I will look in to your solution. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2024, 12:57 PM
detroitr
6th Gear

Thanks for everyone's replies. I will call the dealer and just pay out of pocket to have them investigate how the terminal ended up behind the fuses. I mean you already have to jump through enough hoops!
Old 06-12-2024, 12:58 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

To get around this issue of connecting to the Fuse Box area, we make a Harness kit that attaches directly to your battery of the car and allows you to easily plug in our Antigravity MICRO-START Jump Starter to energize your whole Car so you can easily Pop the Frunk, or Jump Start your vehcile without ever having to go down into the fuse box area to make those connections. You simply plug our Jump Starter into our Harness, which is routed to behind you Hood where the windsheild comes down, then you have full power, and it only takes seconds to do. It also has a weather cap and is not exposed like in the picture, the picture just shows you where you acess it to plug in the jump stater. Its sort of hard to explain so I'll put a link to the product and you can watch a video .

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/

detroitr (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:08 PM
detroitr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MrOhnoez
Yeah saw your comment on my channel and looked at the car, I've never seen the terminal fall behind like you describe and obviously didn't see much besides a bunch of removed panels. I can't really comment much about the issue due to I guess the conflict on interest lol.
Pretty car though!
Love the spec.
Thanks, I decided to have them put it back together and see why the dumb thing fell behind there
Old 06-12-2024, 03:22 PM
detroitr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Antigravity
To get around this issue of connecting to the Fuse Box area, we make a Harness kit that attaches directly to your battery of the car and allows you to easily plug in our Antigravity MICRO-START Jump Starter to energize your whole Car so you can easily Pop the Frunk, or Jump Start your vehcile without ever having to go down into the fuse box area to make those connections. You simply plug our Jump Starter into our Harness, which is routed to behind you Hood where the windsheild comes down, then you have full power, and it only takes seconds to do. It also has a weather cap and is not exposed like in the picture, the picture just shows you where you acess it to plug in the jump stater. Its sort of hard to explain so I'll put a link to the product and you can watch a video .

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/

Thanks, I ordered the 45" extension and the xp20. Hope those are the correct ones.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:51 PM
detroitr
6th Gear

OK it seems that the mechanic at the dealer has a likely explaination for the terminal ending up behind the fuse box. 4 months ago I had a radar detector hardwired and the installer may have incorrectly replaced this essential part so that it managed to recess and fall back there. Also, we are looking at whether the radar, camera and a seat fan may be drawing too much current (but it shouldn't be). That said, I have had the BMS lock up while the car was on a lithium charger before with no accessories installed, and it's still a crazy that you need battery power to access the battery compartment - I don't know if this is a thing on newer cars.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:49 PM
MrOhnoez
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Been a thing for 911/cayman/boxster ever since i believe the 996.
I think thats when they went to electronic switched. Might even be the 993.
detroitr (06-13-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 11:32 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts

Some pictures would help. Lots of battery issues on this board but never heard of this before.

Quick Reply: Battery Dead, Terminal Behind Fusebox?