Sponsored by:

A couple frivolous questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 06:46 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts
Default A couple frivolous questions...

I have two, perhaps frivolous questions for you seasoned 911 owners.

AC Setting
I’m a “set it to auto and forget it” climate control guy from the BMW crowed. With the 911, auto climate also activates the AC. I understand the AC conditions the air and helps prevent fogging but I would never anticipate needing AC 100% of the time. What do you do during the autumn/winter season when you want your windows down and heat set to auto? Do you set it to auto and then go in and turn the AC off or do you set it to auto and just let the AC run even if the windows are down? I currently do the former and it’s an annoying extra step. In a traditional Chinese family, I was taught to never let precious AC leak to the outside as that was considered wasteful.

Cooling System
I daily drive in Sport Plus Individual exclusively and noticed the cooling system keeps the engine about 10-15% cooler than in Sport/Normal modes. Will I be going through the cooling system components faster than if I drove in Normal or Sport? I suppose one can say I’m stressing the engine less from heat and putting the strain on the cooling system as a benefit but I can also see the difference as negligible.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:40 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by woobiee
I have two, perhaps frivolous questions for you seasoned 911 owners.

AC Setting
I’m a “set it to auto and forget it” climate control guy from the BMW crowed. With the 911, auto climate also activates the AC. I understand the AC conditions the air and helps prevent fogging but I would never anticipate needing AC 100% of the time. What do you do during the autumn/winter season when you want your windows down and heat set to auto? Do you set it to auto and then go in and turn the AC off or do you set it to auto and just let the AC run even if the windows are down? I currently do the former and it’s an annoying extra step. In a traditional Chinese family, I was taught to never let precious AC leak to the outside as that was considered wasteful.

Cooling System
I daily drive in Sport Plus Individual exclusively and noticed the cooling system keeps the engine about 10-15% cooler than in Sport/Normal modes. Will I be going through the cooling system components faster than if I drove in Normal or Sport? I suppose one can say I’m stressing the engine less from heat and putting the strain on the cooling system as a benefit but I can also see the difference as negligible.
1) AC in auto - when the set temp is higher than the ambient the AC works just like any other heater. Nothing to cool down to force the compressor to come on.
2) No impact
Old 06-11-2024, 08:57 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 669 Likes on 434 Posts

If you're a 'set it and forget it' person, then you're waaaaaay overthinking this. LOL.

Literally, set it and forget it and go drive it!
The following 2 users liked this post by PHX:
alaris (06-11-2024), dg108 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:13 AM
woobiee
Pro

Originally Posted by PHX
If you're a 'set it and forget it' person, then you're waaaaaay overthinking this. LOL.

Literally, set it and forget it and go drive it!
lol I drive it I promise! 60 miles or so a day, 5-6 days a week -- for commuting, for joy, for errands...never a dull moment.

Originally Posted by Tobeit
1) AC in auto - when the set temp is higher than the ambient the AC works just like any other heater. Nothing to cool down to force the compressor to come on.
Oh, so in AUTO mode, the AC compressor only comes on when it's needed? Does the AC button in the climate menu reflect this when on or off?

Last edited by woobiee; 06-11-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:23 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Oh, so in AUTO mode, the AC compressor only comes on when it's needed? Does the AC button in the climate menu reflect this when on or off?
I have not tested all that in detail - you probably overthinking the problem here. But I would expect the car AC works just like any other, i.e. it turns it on when there is demand (its a compressor and not a heat pump). I don't think the button tells you anything. What I am not sure about is if the AC controls work differently here to control humidity (vs just temperature)..my guess is it does not.
The following users liked this post:
woobiee (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 10:43 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Whether its cold or hot air, I always use AC. I too set it and forget it.
alaris (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 10:51 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Set it and forget it. Auto temp. Dial in the temp desired. In summer with my cabriolet, top down I’m blasting at 68 to keep things cool. Winter if it’s not raining and above 60F, tops down. 911 designed and tested in wide variety of temps, hot and cold. Likely no difference in wear.
alaris (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:43 PM
woobiee
Pro

Hahah okok. I must be the crazy one. Gotta unlearn the decades of "don't open the windows and leak AC outside" rule.
Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 06:49 AM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 91 Posts

Hahah okok. I must be the crazy one. Gotta unlearn the decades of "don't open the windows and leak AC outside" rule.
Have a couple of drive thru spicy burritos, it will accelerate the learning process.
The following 3 users liked this post by B194HR:
dg108 (06-12-2024), IPA1 (06-13-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024)

Quick Reply: A couple frivolous questions...