Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preemptive move on seat leather pulls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 01:35 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts
Default Preemptive move on seat leather pulls?

We use the 992 as a real family car so almost always have kids in the backseat. Lately the passenger seat (18 ways) leather loop you pull to get the seat back to fold forward has been getting stuck. I have read enough reports of people pulling the loop off that I don’t want to force it (my 2020 isn’t under warranty). I make sure to pull the loop as directly out and back as I can (not pulling it sideways) and I have tried various combinations of using my other hand to apply pressure on the seat back in all directions- forward, backward, sideways but that does not seem to help. The problem is intermittent and when it happens, a little bit of patience and gentle multiple attempts eventually get it to work but I’m worried it is getting more and more frequent and does require more force than I’d like. I have seen threads where people pulled them off and the dealer repaired the seat loops but I’m trying to avoid the repair. Does anyone have a technique or prophylactic DIY maintenance/repairs I could try to fix the problem before it gets worse?

Last edited by RudyP; 06-10-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:48 PM
Deerfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I unfortunately do not have a solution but can confirm an issue (as the other thread indicates) for clearly at least 4 years if not more for the model. I have a brand new 2024 and have NEVER been able to get the driver side seat forward since taking delivery 6 months ago or so. I am fortunate in that I am under warranty (and no kids to put in back) -I just have been reluctant to bring in yet as it will be a while without car in summer -etc. but will report back to forum once I do. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:04 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

I thought I read some post that said you had to push back (or forward?) on the seatback to release the tension, before pulling the strap.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:10 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
I thought I read some post that said you had to push back (or forward?) on the seatback to release the tension, before pulling the strap.
I read that too (also can’t remember the direction) so I have been trying all the combinations of soft, medium, hard pressure in both directions and even side to side while pulling the loop but it doesn’t seem to make a difference in my case. Wish they had stuck with the latch like all the previous 911 variants…
Old 06-10-2024, 02:13 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know of a way to pull back the seat covering or something to get at the actual mechanism? If I could get to it, I bet I could lube and/or McGuyver some reinforcement to the mechanism and get it working again before it inevitably breaks and requires an expensive and time wasting dealer repair.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:21 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Check with your dealer. Even though it's not under warranty, it may still be covered since it was a known issue.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:28 PM
kim9701
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 104 Posts

You can push the seat back towards the back to ease the leather loop pull. But, I too worry about its eventual failure. Not a great design in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (06-12-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

I have this issue on my passenger seat (MY2022). If I push from the head rest toward the rear seats, it then works.

I inquired at the dealer last fall when I was in for service. They could take care of it (I'm CPO warranty). I declined at that moment because I didn't want the seat taken apart (fear of rattles).
Even when I mentioned it likely has a TSB, they did warn me that if it's not under warranty, then it could cost me.

Personally, I would inquire at the dealership and ask about the TSB. If that doesn't work, I'd escalate to Porsche USA?
It's a known flaw and one argue a safety issue if someone couldn't exit quickly enough in an emergency.

Ikone (06-10-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 05:11 PM
zanary
Pro

Received 596 Likes on 284 Posts

Suncoast sells replacement straps, so I assume that it should be an easy fix, but really have no idea.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...seatstrap.html

I think @GT3Belts may know more. Hopefully he sells custom pulls for this and if so, he may know what the issue is and if it's owner fixable... Just a thought!
Old 06-11-2024, 05:19 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zanary
Suncoast sells replacement straps, so I assume that it should be an easy fix, but really have no idea.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...seatstrap.html

I think @GT3Belts may know more. Hopefully he sells custom pulls for this and if so, he may know what the issue is and if it's owner fixable... Just a thought!
Good to hear the part is cheap at least... But I would love to find a DIY guide. That Suncoast page says "Note! Professional installation required, the seat may have to be removed and dissassembled to install this part. For 2020 or newer 911 models with strap style shown."
zanary (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 05:37 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
Good to hear the part is cheap at least... But I would love to find a DIY guide. That Suncoast page says "Note! Professional installation required, the seat may have to be removed and dissassembled to install this part. For 2020 or newer 911 models with strap style shown."
I think it is a pretty involved repair. This redesigned part is unlikely to break the way the original part did, with all the metal reinforcements.

Quick Reply: Preemptive move on seat leather pulls?