Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance projections on the 992.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 09:30 AM
division
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 38 Posts

@yrralis1 Are you still dealing with just the Collection? They're in quite the unique position.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:38 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
My question about your current car was an attempt at being friendly, as I’ve interacted with you without issue on 992Forum in the past. I was just genuinely curious. You lashed out, but I did answer your question. I just didn’t answer it the way you wanted me to by spitballing or tossing predictions at the wall to see what sticks.
I'll make the effort and reply to the OT .

I have three cars now after selling my 992 GTS .

1) I have a modified 997.1 Turbo . It was originally a project car for the Texas Mile . I saw a few crashes back in 2009 and decided not to do the event but kept the car . It was bulletproof reliable for 15 years and then things happened . It cost me 50K and 2 years to make it perfect . In fact the software had been revised by the tuner who wrote it 17 years ago . The modified Turbos had also been improved . I have new ones and they are rebuilt with the revised upgrades . All hoses are replaced, leaks and seals replaced, and right now it's a 9 second car . I got it back 2 weeks ago . All along I thought I would sell it but when I got it back my 992 started to feel too ordinary . It only has 30K miles .

2) A 23 Macan GTS .. I custom ordered a beautiful spec and my wife is the primary driver .

3) Friday I picked up a CPO 23 Base Macan ( service loaner ) with 6K miles . It's actually a great car as a daily while I wait . Dealership has more of them too , They are trying to move them fast to get CPO sales units . Mine had an MSRP of 74 and I got it for 61K .

The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 09:49 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
2.) The only way I can afford a 911 is if I can perform all the routine maintenance myself in my garage on my Quick Jack. I cannot afford to own a car where I am paying shop rates of $400 for oil change, $1200 for brakes pad swap, or other routine maintenance, etc.
That doesn’t make sense. I did all dealer scheduled maintenance for my first year (4 oils changes, 1 brake flush, 1 plug change) and it was less than what I spent on gas.

I get that dealer maintenance is more expensive, but surely the idea that you couldn’t afford the car if you used dealer maintenance is hyperbole.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:06 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
That doesn’t make sense. I did all dealer scheduled maintenance for my first year (4 oils changes, 1 brake flush, 1 plug change) and it was less than what I spent on gas.

I get that dealer maintenance is more expensive, but surely the idea that you couldn’t afford the car if you used dealer maintenance is hyperbole.
Probably right. But, 4 oil changes and brake fluid flush at my dealer is $1800 minimum. Spark plug change at least that at dealer. So, dealer cost $3600 minimum. Same DIY in my garage is $600 not counting cost of Quick Jack, of course. With that labor savings I can mod my car with Cargraphic, titanium catback, Numeric, etc. My point is that when any car gets to so complicated I can not do routine maintenance than Isill not buy it. Time will tell us whether that is the 992.2GTS or not.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:08 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Probably right. But, 4 oil changes and brake fluid flush at my dealer is $1800 minimum. Spark plug change at least that at dealer. So, dealer cost $3600 minimum. Same DIY in my garage is $600 not counting cost of Quick Jack, of course. With that labor savings I can mod my car with Cargraphic, titanium catback, Numeric, etc. My point is that when any car gets to so complicated I can not do routine maintenance than Isill not buy it. Time will tell us whether that is the 992.2GTS or not.
I just paid 2200.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
He did not answer the question , Other people did . I post in other forums where his post as well as yours above would be deleted as "off topic" .
Off topic posts are disruptive . This is a thread about maintenance expectations . Its not a thread about the Op's other cars or whether one feels its a valid question ,
I should not have to publicly explain this to you. but consider it an effort to be considerate .

I would like to move back to topic ......
Ha ha ha. Well, I would be remiss to not point out that you are on Rennlist, not Sotheby’s, or whatever you expect what Rennlist should be. Your defensive reaction when asked about your car is coming across as insecurity about selling your 992.1. Just saying. Best wishes with whatever you buy.

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-09-2024 at 01:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
M3Inline6 (06-09-2024), Tedster (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:30 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

Probably right. But, 4 oil changes and brake fluid flush at my dealer is $1800 minimum. Spark plug change at least that at dealer. So, dealer cost $3600 minimum.
Yes, that’s about what I estimate my costs to have been. I’m out of town and can’t check my records though.

I just purchased floor jacks and rennstands to start doing my own maintenance in my second year of ownership. More because I want to than cost though.
Fullyield (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 11:07 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by division
@yrralis1 Are you still dealing with just the Collection? They're in quite the unique position.
The Collection has been like family to me . I have bought about 20 cars from them . I got the first slot on both the 991.2 GTS and the 992 . I have never paid ADM . I do not however like their low ball trade in offers and have made that very clear to them . Both Formula 1 and TheMiamiGarage beat the trade offer on my car by so much that losing the tax credit was still ahead . In fact Formula1 was so easy to deal that I started watching their inventory . They have some very nice cars there and even though typically I am a new car buyer I wil consider them (to sell a car or even to buy one from them ). I liked them . I have bought four cars from Champion , one from Ft Myers , and one from Palm Beach , I called champion and spoke to the salesperson who sold me my 07 Turbo . He did not remember me . All I wanted to know was their policy on early trade . When I mentioned the 992.2 GTS in passing I guess he thought I wanted one and was met with "I dont know where you think you are going with this but we have a two year wait list for that car " and he proceeded to hang up on me before I could even say I already have my position secured . One bad experience does not reflect on the entire dealership but it really turned me off on them .

The Collection will get my sale . In fact I just bought a CPO Macan from them on Friday to hold me over as I decide how long I wil wait .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-09-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 11:24 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I agree with you . It's tough to give up the number 1 slot but the maintenance downside risk is that big .
Doesn't sound like you have sold yourself on getting the GTS hybrid. Brand new design and uncharted waters here, so you will have to decide if you want to take the plunge on the new design. Hybrid with electric motor in transmission, and electric turbo are all new though arguably Porsche has some experience here with 918 and Motorsports.

A few good videos on YouTube walking through the technical details. Battery is in the frunk in the usual spot so accessibility for replacement shouldn’t be a major issue. Other elements of the design on the engine with the new design areas yet to be seen in reliability and serviceability.

yrralis1 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 11:34 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

It is coming to the point where I would rather have a full electric that some of this hybrid stuff...
Old 06-09-2024, 11:49 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Doesn't sound like you have sold yourself on getting the GTS hybrid. Brand new design and uncharted waters here, so you will have to decide if you want to take the plunge on the new design. Hybrid with electric motor in transmission, and electric turbo are all new though arguably Porsche has some experience here with 918 and Motorsports.

A few good videos on YouTube walking through the technical details. Battery is in the frunk in the usual spot so accessibility for replacement shouldn’t be a major issue. Other elements of the design on the engine with the new design areas yet to be seen in reliability and serviceability.
I just bounced this off of my wife . I was surprised by her answer . She said "Look, you just turned 66. Every other week the doctor is sending you for tests . We aren't getting younger . Time matters . Get the most super duper 911 that you can afford and keep the 997 too . You love that car . There is plenty of time for you to decide , Dont overthink this . "

I told her that it was the nicest thing she said to me in months , She replied "I am not being nice . I am telling it like it is from the heart . Get the car. "

Maybe its the push that gets me to roll the dice ,

The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
Jeff Whitten (06-09-2024), tomtomtomtom (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 12:00 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

How long do you plan on keeping the .2 GTS?

With what you've shared IDK if you'll be comfortable with a first year model with a new engine as intricate as this. Just saying.

It'll be covered for four years with the electric parts eight IIRC. Something to consider.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:06 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by malba2366
It is coming to the point where I would rather have a full electric that some of this hybrid stuff...
Hybrid is safe compared to full EV . Porsche is clinging to ICE with the 911 . Hybrid is still ICE with a splash of legislative pacifying equipment . The EV Macan weights 1K more pounds than the current car . Gas is cheap, readily available , and there is little done to implement a full scale EV society . It got cold in Texas and they lost the grid . It got hot in California and they lost the grid , EV will bust it at the seams . Plus 1K extra pounds in every car will tear up roads and place strain on bridges . EV is a delusion and worst of all it's not going to be a choice . I care about polar bears . I sincerely do but this EV stuff has nothing to do with saving animals and everything to do with opportunists trying to sell it as some type of band aid to the most invasive species on the planet : us .
Old 06-09-2024, 12:21 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Ha ha ha. Well, I would be remiss to not point out that you are on Rennlist, not Sotheby’s, or whatever you expect what Rennlist should be. Your defensive reaction when asked about your car is coming across as insecurity about selling your 992.1. Just saying. Best wishes. with whatever you buy.
I truly dont regret selling it . I have the money now to buy the next one and had 2 great years . The problem was that when my 997 returned after 2 years in the shop and was better than it ever was it made my 992 feel boring . Now I realize a highly modded 997tt is not a daily driver but I was ready for a change . It was time . What does bother me is the huge asking prices when I now know what every one of them are ready to give .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-09-2024 at 12:26 PM.
detansinn (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 04:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,773 Likes on 5,138 Posts

I feel like this is the paradigm of paralysis by analysis.
Tedster (06-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Maintenance projections on the 992.2 GTS