Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 10% off MSRP on 2022 GTS w/ 23K mi. reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 04:25 PM
hopetogolf
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is 10% off MSRP on 2022 GTS w/ 23K mi. reasonable?

I continue to look to buy my first Porsche. I am on a few lists (GTS and TT) but do not want to pay ADM. I’ve started to look into the used market. I found a 2022 GTS that is built close to the way I would spec the car. However, there are a few potential issues. The CarFax indicates that it was a Corporate Fleet car and it has high mileage. The CarFax does indicate it was sold as a CPO after it had 18K miles. Given the mileage, I am assuming the Corporate Fleet could mean the car was a loaner/rental. The car sits at a used car dealer half way across the country. The car was put into service 2 years ago and has about 23K miles. The car will be mostly a weekend car.

I can probably get the car for about 10% off MSRP. 1) Is it safe to buy a GTS that was in a Corporate Fleet and has 23K miles after two years? 2) Is 10% off MSRP a good discount given the history? 3) If I get a slot for a new car in a few months/year, should I expect to take a bath on this car since many buyers will be spooked by the high mileage?

FWIW, I will have a PPI done before any purchase. I will also consider investing in an extended warranty.

Last edited by hopetogolf; 06-01-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 04:32 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

Personally speaking, I would not buy a corporate fleet sports cars. Regular rental cars already get treated like crap and i can only imagine people driving sports cars even harder.

I hate the idea of ADM too, but my justification is being able to spec it exactly as I want vs having to pay for options I don’t care for.

Last edited by brandobot; 06-01-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:13 PM
TheDrivenGarage
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

There was a fully loaded gts with about the same miles 2xk, that went for $150k with like a 218k msrp. So definitely push closer to 20% or more. Especially with it being a fleet vehicle.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:44 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Corporate fleet car can mean multiple things. It could be a Porsche regional rep that had the car and these guys drive a lot visiting dealerships in their region, so that might explain the high miles
having said that , there are other possibilities , that this was one of the cars that Porsche bring around for track demonstration and get beat on, but usually well maintained , but expect more wear and tear on leather, seats etc
but the most important factor is you will lose CPO warranty by buying from a non Porsche dealer
so here goes your CPO warranty but you still have the original factory warranty
In this day and age , when 911 are in very high demand, I am a little bit Leary of a 911 bought and sold by a non Porsche dealer
why? because Porsche dealers usually will pick all these cars at auction and what they don't pick is usually a fair/bad example
5 years ago when the market was not hot on these cars , I will say a 911 at a used car lot could have been a good example
go to your local Porsche dealer and talk to GSM about your plans and if he/she are nice , they will pull the internal records on that car and additional history and will point any red flags

Last edited by pitt911; 06-01-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:11 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

If you're asking if you can get a GTS for an "S" price on the used market...I would say probably.
But is it the car you really want, especially knowing its history and mileage...probably not.
Porsche dealers make their overhead from used car sales....so any decent car that has the demand 992 has, usually end up at Porsche dealers. Their profit on new cars are in the range of 10% on top of ADM, but for CPO 911's... that profit is usually 20% or higher...they buy them low and sell them high!
If there is a great condition 992 at a low price at a non-Porsche dealer...something is usually wrong with its condition or history to still be available.
I followed a "S" I was looking at last year. I passed on it but continued to follow its VIN number, it went through 4 used car dealers before ending up as a CPO at a Porsche dealer....it sold for over MSRP! It had a low initial price, but questionable history.

Lots of things to consider on the car you are considering... now not knowing the actual price, let's assume its listed at $160k and you're wanting to buy it for $144k ($16k/10% off). If successful you will want an extended warranty costing $8-10K... now you're into the low $150k range...and you have not put tires ($2k) brakes ($3k) and possible detailing (PPF-$2-7k). Thats another $10-12k... now you are into the low $160k.
Now you would have a warranted car with new tires, brakes and paint correction/ protection, but its cost you over $160k. Oh...has the regular maintenance been completed...has the 20k been completed because 30k service is due soon...now you're on your way to $170k.

I think you get where I'm heading.
Save yourself the headache and cost by looking for a CPO. When all said and done that $170k should get you into a nice low mileage warranted GTS.
FYI...a platinum extended warranty that has 100% powertrain coverage is a must. A 2022 will have the factory warranty expire in 2 years...a PDK replacement is over $20k!

Last edited by sk911; 06-01-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 10:14 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sk911
If you're asking if you can get a GTS for an "S" price on the used market...I would say probably.
But is it the car you really want, especially knowing its history and mileage...probably not.
Porsche dealers make their overhead from used car sales....so any decent car that has the demand 992 has, usually end up at Porsche dealers. Their profit on new cars are in the range of 10% on top of ADM, but for CPO 911's... that profit is usually 20% or higher...they buy them low and sell them high!
If there is a great condition 992 at a low price at a non-Porsche dealer...something is usually wrong with its condition or history to still be available.
I followed a "S" I was looking at last year. I passed on it but continued to follow its VIN number, it went through 4 used car dealers before ending up as a CPO at a Porsche dealer....it sold for over MSRP! It had a low initial price, but questionable history.

Lots of things to consider on the car you are considering... now not knowing the actual price, let's assume its listed at $160k and you're wanting to buy it for $144k ($16k/10% off). If successful you will want an extended warranty costing $8-10K... now you're into the low $150k range...and you have not put tires ($2k) brakes ($3k) and possible detailing (PPF-$2-7k). Thats another $10-12k... now you are into the low $160k.
Now you would have a warranted car with new tires, brakes and paint correction/ protection, but its cost you over $160k. Oh...has the regular maintenance been completed...has the 20k been completed because 30k service is due soon...now you're on your way to $170k.

Save yourself the headache and cost by looking for a CPO. When all said and done that $170k should get you into a nice low mileage warranted GTS.
FYI...a platinum extended warranty that has 100% powertrain coverage is a must. A 2022 will have the factory warranty expire in 2 years...a PDK replacement is over $20k!
Hi sk911,
wondered what the dealer profit margins were on new 911’s, so it’s in the 10% range ?
Old 06-01-2024, 10:28 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
Hi sk911,
wondered what the dealer profit margins were on new 911’s, so it’s in the 10% range ?
I believe it's actually around 11%.
Edmunds does a good job listing Invoice pricing for most makes.
I'm sure there are other factors that go into a dealer's profit, but this gives some insight.
2023 Porsche 911 MSRP and Invoice Prices | Edmunds

Last edited by sk911; 06-01-2024 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:39 PM
gtsgarage
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also in the process of purchasing my first 911. 2022 GTS. The one I'm looking at is lower miles (~5k) and I've negotiated them down to ~7% below MSRP. Working out the final details but I doubt I'll get them down much lower. An extra 3% off with an extra 18k miles doesn't seem like a good deal in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2024, 09:15 AM
hopetogolf
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sk911

I appreciate the thoughts here. Interesting that the S you followed with the questionable history was ultimately was sold over MSRP as a CPO. I wonder if that vehicle ended up being a headache for the owner given that it went through 4 used car dealers. This market is crazy.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:59 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Go with your head not your heart. Keep looking. I would not trust a fleet car knowing that it could of really been abused. Good for the short run not the long haul.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:28 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

If you tried to trade in an identical car, they’re giving you 30% off MSRP.

Quick Reply: Is 10% off MSRP on 2022 GTS w/ 23K mi. reasonable?