Sponsored by:

992 Suspension Lowering Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 07:36 PM
Terrance Sig
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 992 Suspension Lowering Question

My new C4S is equipped with Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) which puts it about 10mm lower than stock. It works incredibly in a corner, as the car feels very flat and stable. Installed new 21" Signature Wheels and put a few miles on the car today. The rear height is great, but the front could stand to come down about 7-10 mm. Since I equipped Front Axle Lift, I am not really worried about lowering at all.

For those that have gone lower, what did you use? Any issues with the PDCC after lowring? Ideally I would lower just the front, but having balanced spring rates is preferred.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:38 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

PASM Sport gives you the -10mm. PDCC is another option that keeps the car flat when cornering.

Lots of folks have added KW or Techart HAS (height adjustable springs) for further adjustment on height with good results.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
Terrance Sig (05-28-2024), Tobeit (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 02:56 AM
Terrance Sig
Intermediate

Good information there. The car has PASM Sport as well.

I will look into those two options. I had someone else mention the lowered height resulted in the car feeling a lot more bumpy when in sport/sport plus mode, but I am not sure if that is the case across the board.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 06:56 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

My $0.02 worth? Don’t do it. Been there, done that and have regretted it ever since. Wrecked the ride compliance. Worst change I’ve ever made to a car.
Terrance Sig (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 07:04 AM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

From GTS experience I wouldn't suggest it, you will increase noise cabin and feel everything on the road.
Terrance Sig (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:04 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
My $0.02 worth? Don’t do it. Been there, done that and have regretted it ever since. Wrecked the ride compliance. Worst change I’ve ever made to a car.
This was my experience too. After lowering, the car looked great but rode like s%!&.

Watch Tech Tactics video on YT titled “Things You Did Not Know About Your Porsche”. The PCNA technician discusses lowering your car at the end of the presentation.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-28-2024 at 08:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
Master Deep (05-28-2024), Terrance Sig (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 02:40 PM
Terrance Sig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdv
Originally Posted by melhechi
From GTS experience I wouldn't suggest it, you will increase noise cabin and feel everything on the road.
Originally Posted by Fullyield
This was my experience too. After lowering, the car looked great but rode like s%!&.

Watch Tech Tactics video on YT titled “Things You Did Not Know About Your Porsche”. The PCNA technician discusses lowering your car at the end of the presentation.
all great information here fellas. I will spend a bit more time with the car before I go messing with it
Old 05-28-2024, 03:27 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

Agree with the above. I've never lowered a car and had it IMPROVE the handling. Looks great, but bringing the suspension out of its designed geometry doesn't translate well to the driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by CZS:
garthg (05-29-2024), Terrance Sig (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:44 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrance Sig
Good information there. The car has PASM Sport as well.

I will look into those two options. I had someone else mention the lowered height resulted in the car feeling a lot more bumpy when in sport/sport plus mode, but I am not sure if that is the case across the board.
I have PASM Sport and PDCC. I had a set of Techart HAS springs sitting in my garage before the car arrived. I sold them and left things as is. Very happy with the ride and look. HRE wheels helped my happiness.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
HOTCHKIS (05-29-2024), Master Deep (05-29-2024), Terrance Sig (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 09:01 PM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Sits perfect!
Terrance Sig (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 10:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

You'll probably find my old thread on here. I had all kinds of clunking issues with my 992 Turbo S when I dropped it. I am convinced that PDCC had something to do with it. The ride quality also went downhill quite a bit when I dropped it down to GT3 height. In comparison, I've dropped my current GT3 down from stock ride height and had no issues.

I was left with the impression that the 992 is just really tricky to modify. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there may be some compromises.
Terrance Sig (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 01:32 AM
Terrance Sig
Intermediate

This is going to be a tough one. The front of the car sits a little higher than the rear so it just needs slight adjustment. The damn thing feels so good right now that I do not want to mess with it, but I know visually it will look better leveled out and slightly dropped.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:06 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Drop 100 lbs of ballast in front trunk. That should be the cheapest and easiest way to lower the car w/o messing w/ coilovers and springs and stuff. I'm kind of serious about this. If you really want to avoid messing around w/ suspension, alignment, dealing with funky noises, etc., adding 100 lbs of weight to the front will lower the front maybe 1/4" maybe even 3/8" which would close the gap a bit.

But seriously, I have been running the Bilstein EVO coilovers for about 2.5 yrs and 12K+ miles and have not had any issues other than some very occasional clunk noise from the front when I go over a sharp speed bump or drive over a sharp drop-off. My car is modestly lowered - maybe 3/4" lower that stock SPASM in front and 5/8" lower in rear. The ride quality is better than stock IMO, particularly in sport+ mode. It makes that mode usable. The car feels lowered with limited suspension travel... which is exactly how it felt when completely stock. Except it's a bit smoother when actually lowered and looks 1000% better.

My car doesn't have PDCC though and I know rk-d and others couldn't tolerate the clunking. Maybe PDCC cars clunk more if lowered? I know mine hardly ever clunks... maybe hear it once every 3-5x I drive the car and perhaps my lack of PDCC makes this a non issue for me.
audiophilitis (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:51 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Drop 100 lbs of ballast in front trunk. That should be the cheapest and easiest way to lower the car w/o messing w/ coilovers and springs and stuff. I'm kind of serious about this. If you really want to avoid messing around w/ suspension, alignment, dealing with funky noises, etc., adding 100 lbs of weight to the front will lower the front maybe 1/4" maybe even 3/8" which would close the gap a bit.

But seriously, I have been running the Bilstein EVO coilovers for about 2.5 yrs and 12K+ miles and have not had any issues other than some very occasional clunk noise from the front when I go over a sharp speed bump or drive over a sharp drop-off. My car is modestly lowered - maybe 3/4" lower that stock SPASM in front and 5/8" lower in rear. The ride quality is better than stock IMO, particularly in sport+ mode. It makes that mode usable. The car feels lowered with limited suspension travel... which is exactly how it felt when completely stock. Except it's a bit smoother when actually lowered and looks 1000% better.

My car doesn't have PDCC though and I know rk-d and others couldn't tolerate the clunking. Maybe PDCC cars clunk more if lowered? I know mine hardly ever clunks... maybe hear it once every 3-5x I drive the car and perhaps my lack of PDCC makes this a non issue for me.
I think the common denominator among those who had issues and versus those who don't was PDCC. I could be wrong.

The noise I heard sounded like a clunking sway bar, which is what makes me suspicious. I never did go through the trouble of disconnecting the PDCC to isolate it. My Bilsteins were worse than the K&W HAS, but even those made noises every now and again.

To be fair, I am OCD about noises, so what was an issue for me may be a total non-issue for a regular person. I know that the vendor had a testing mule TT (without PDCC and with FAL) and had no issues with his EVOs.

The car looks way better lowered. There is no doubt about that. Even the GT3 needs a little help in that department.

The thing about PDCC is there is actually a calibration routine that may need to be done if you drop the height low enough. This is something accessible through PIWIS and not every tech is familiar with this because it's not commonly done. All techs should be familiar with the PASM calibration after ride adjustment.

My issues on a TTS may also not be completely transferable to a Carrera.

To OP - if you have the time, money and patience...I'd give it a shot. Most aftermarket wheels demand a lower ride height in order to look their best.

Quick Reply: 992 Suspension Lowering Question