Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Front Trunk--Again/Follow Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 02:20 AM
kentv
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead Battery Front Trunk--Again/Follow Up

Okay, I really benefitted from the threads about charging the battery with a trickle charger, always locking the car, etc. BUT, I do have a question.

Suppose I'm off on the road in the middle of nowhere and can't open the trunk because my battery to totally dead. When I opened my trunk last time, I used my regular charger plugged into the wall AC outlet. I'm not sure my Cobra Jump Pack XL emergency charger would have worked. I seem to remember that it did not work in that instance.

Here's my question: Can I test my Cobra unit by hooking it up to the fuse box red contact point and a good ground if my battery is totally disconnected, or must my positive and negative engine cables be fully attached even for the Cobra Jump Pack to work in the first place? Stated more simply, do these chargers that clip to the fuse box line in case of the front hood being locked shut assume and require that the battery be fully connected to the engine cables, positive and negative?

That brings up a related question. Should I have a completely different kind of jump charger if I'm concerned about opening the front hood with a dead battery and having no AC power available? Maybe the Cobra is designed only to connect directly to the battery.

Thanks guys. I always appreciate the help.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:25 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 996 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by kentv
Okay, I really benefitted from the threads about charging the battery with a trickle charger, always locking the car, etc. BUT, I do have a question.

Suppose I'm off on the road in the middle of nowhere and can't open the trunk because my battery to totally dead. When I opened my trunk last time, I used my regular charger plugged into the wall AC outlet. I'm not sure my Cobra Jump Pack XL emergency charger would have worked. I seem to remember that it did not work in that instance.

Here's my question: Can I test my Cobra unit by hooking it up to the fuse box red contact point and a good ground if my battery is totally disconnected, or must my positive and negative engine cables be fully attached even for the Cobra Jump Pack to work in the first place? Stated more simply, do these chargers that clip to the fuse box line in case of the front hood being locked shut assume and require that the battery be fully connected to the engine cables, positive and negative?

That brings up a related question. Should I have a completely different kind of jump charger if I'm concerned about opening the front hood with a dead battery and having no AC power available? Maybe the Cobra is designed only to connect directly to the battery.

Thanks guys. I always appreciate the help.
We make a wire harness that you can route outside the vehicle and allows you to easily power your car to open the frunk or jump start the car without having to resort to going into the fuse box and messing around, Its so much simpler and takes seconds. Our harnesses may work with your Cobra jump starter depending on the type of tip it has for its Jump Start port. But they work with our MICRO-START Jump Start products. You can see a link to the product here. Also there is a video to show how it works.

Basically it is a wireharnes that you allows you to walk up to your car, plug in your jump starter for power and your ready to jump or open the frunk.It comes with a tip cover and tucks behind your hood , though we have it showing outside the hood in the image below.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/

Old 05-15-2024, 10:41 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 84 Posts

How is the connector secured to the front? Does it flap/move around when driving?
Old 05-15-2024, 10:51 AM
Crusje
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
We make a wire harness that you can route outside the vehicle and allows you to easily power your car to open the frunk or jump start the car without having to resort to going into the fuse box and messing around, Its so much simpler and takes seconds. Our harnesses may work with your Cobra jump starter depending on the type of tip it has for its Jump Start port. But they work with our MICRO-START Jump Start products. You can see a link to the product here. Also there is a video to show how it works.

Basically it is a wireharnes that you allows you to walk up to your car, plug in your jump starter for power and your ready to jump or open the frunk.It comes with a tip cover and tucks behind your hood , though we have it showing outside the hood in the image below.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/

You have something like that for a trickle charger?
Old 05-15-2024, 12:33 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 859 Likes on 476 Posts

Battery Tender products makes a similar attachment, but the standard one is only 18 inches long and it might not be long enough for the 911 application to snake out from under the battery cover. But they sell an extension cable for it.

What someone should really make is a combination trickle charger/jump starter product. As it stands now, you need two different devices. So as noted by the OP, the maintainer approach works fine in the garage, but if your battery dies while away from home, to get the jump starter device on it you need to get the frunk open because that device clamps onto the battery and doesn't use the maintainer cable. So that's when you need some method to energize the frunk release circuit.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:42 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Battery Tender products makes a similar attachment, but the standard one is only 18 inches long and it might not be long enough for the 911 application to snake out from under the battery cover. But they sell an extension cable for it.

What someone should really make is a combination trickle charger/jump starter product. As it stands now, you need two different devices. So as noted by the OP, the maintainer approach works fine in the garage, but if your battery dies while away from home, to get the jump starter device on it you need to get the frunk open because that device clamps onto the battery and doesn't use the maintainer cable. So that's when you need some method to energize the frunk release circuit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike818:
981KMAN (05-16-2024), tomtomtomtom (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:56 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

@Mike818 It's always amazing what people could learn by reading their owners manual
The following 2 users liked this post by tomtomtomtom:
eagle1960 (05-15-2024), shrimp money (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 02:43 PM
nyca
Drifting

Yes but no one is carrying a donor battery when they are away from home, you have to be able to use your lithium jump start box to energize the fuse panel to pop the frunk. The photos above are frankly, ridiculous. Most people don't even have a donor battery in their home garages.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:27 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

I dont think most people drive around with a jump pack in the cabin of their car either*. Plus they can be pretty hit and miss with powering dead circuits. Getting into the game of certifying jump packs probably isn't something Porsche wants to do. If you have one that you know works I'm sure there is nothing wrong with using that.

Back in the before times, you would have a spouse / buddy / kind stranger / roadside assistance hook up jumper cables to their battery.

Also if your battery is flat dead....it's damaged and you probably need a replacement anyway.

*If you were hoping for a solution that didn't involve assistance away from home.

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
@Mike818 It's always amazing what people could learn by reading their owners manual
It can certainly be helpful

Last edited by Mike818; 05-15-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:13 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,866 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I wonder if a 9v battery has enough juice for you to unlock the frunk one time. You could wire it up really easily.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:15 PM
nyca
Drifting

I have a jump pack in every one of my cars. For $50, they are cheap insurance and I don't want to be stuck stranded on the road or in a shopping mall someplace - especially in the modern day NY Metro area, where crime is big concern. And remember if you have no power, you can't shift to N, so to the tow the car it has to be pulled up on skates. Watch a youtube video of that procedure, you'll drop dead watching your $200K car being dragged on skates onto a flat bed.

Last edited by nyca; 05-15-2024 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
txpackers (05-16-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 04:17 PM
nyca
Drifting

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I wonder if a 9v battery has enough juice for you to unlock the frunk one time. You could wire it up really easily.
Yes but that only gets you the frunk open, you still have to jump start the car after that.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:22 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
I have a jump pack in every one of my cars. For $50, they are cheap insurance and I don't want to be stuck stranded on the road or in a shopping mall someplace - especially in the modern day NY Metro area, where crime is big concern. And remember if you have no power, you can't shift to N, so to the tow the car it has to be pulled up on skates. Watch a youtube video of that procedure, you'll drop dead watching your $200K car being dragged on skates onto a flat bed.
I'm sure tow truck drivers carry jumper cables.

As i said before though, the jump pack would need to be in the cabin to be useful. Where I'm from that's just too much of a theft liability for me. I don't want to get a window broken because someone wants my jump pack (or what ever they think it might be).

Last edited by Mike818; 05-15-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:35 PM
defiant2
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 54 Posts

Curious: Can the 992 (manual) be bump started like manual cars of old? (second gear, get pushed to 5-10mph and let out the clutch)
Old 05-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by defiant2
Curious: Can the 992 (manual) be bump started like manual cars of old? (second gear, get pushed to 5-10mph and let out the clutch)
Yes you can. With some conditions

The following users liked this post:
defiant2 (05-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Front Trunk--Again/Follow Up