Sponsored by:

Custom Porsche watch

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 10:10 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Custom Porsche watch

Hey guys. I know this isn’t probably exactly the right forum, but I thought I’d ask. Do any of you guys have any experience with the option to custom build a Porsche watch? Build comes out to right around 10k and that’s pretty basic a build. Wasn’t sure if it was worth it or not?
Old 04-29-2024, 11:09 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

In my honest opinion, it's not worth it. There are much better watches out there with a $10k asking price.

I personally would not pay over $5k for one of those.
The following 3 users liked this post by woobiee:
Booth9999 (05-05-2024), HOTCHKIS (05-02-2024), TheSunTheSea (05-01-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:29 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Thx for your input.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:37 PM
Jrezaf
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dvu
Hey guys. I know this isn’t probably exactly the right forum, but I thought I’d ask. Do any of you guys have any experience with the option to custom build a Porsche watch? Build comes out to right around 10k and that’s pretty basic a build. Wasn’t sure if it was worth it or not?
My rule is to buy if you truly love the watch. I have a collection that is probably close to 40 in size (I lost count), with watches ranging from Timex/Casio to Patek/AP/VC/Breguet, and use that rule as my basis of purchase. That being said, as someone mentioned earlier, unless you truly love the Porsche watches, there are "better" watches to spend $10k on (more prestige/technical innovation/watch nerd prestige/etc).
Old 04-30-2024, 05:14 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

You can get a very accurate and functional (perhaps with too many functions) watch for under a grand. When you start hitting the $10K mark, it's more than just a watch. It might reflect an investment or the watch just blows your skirt up. There are better $10K watches out there, so how does your skirt vote? As an aside, my GMT Master is 39 years old and will one day go to my grandson; I don't think a Porsche watch will ever enter into the family heirloom category. Just one man's opinion.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:26 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F8Driver
You can get a very accurate and functional (perhaps with too many functions) watch for under a grand. When you start hitting the $10K mark, it's more than just a watch. It might reflect an investment or the watch just blows your skirt up. There are better $10K watches out there, so how does your skirt vote? As an aside, my GMT Master is 39 years old and will one day go to my grandson; I don't think a Porsche watch will ever enter into the family heirloom category. Just one man's opinion.
agreed. I’m not a a super watch collector but I do like watches especially chronographs. I have a tag Carrera and a Rolex Daytona so was thinking of adding the Porsche chrono to the collection. Having said that, I find myself wearing my Apple Watch 9 times out of 10. Everyone’s point is well taken. Thx for all the advice.
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (05-02-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 05:58 PM
freesole
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think Porsche watches carry the cache of watches in the same price category. So if that is important to you then it isn't worth it. You could get a get a steel Rolex professional model, Omega Seamaster or Speedmaster for that price. Just depends on what you value more - watches are a very personal thing and there is no wrong way to collect unless you're only in it for investment value.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:29 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

If you want that Porsche Design look, just get a Dan Henry Maverick for a fraction of the price. You already paid enough for the car, they don't need more of your money haha
Old 05-01-2024, 04:52 PM
FunnyBoy
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
If you want that Porsche Design look, just get a Dan Henry Maverick for a fraction of the price. You already paid enough for the car, they don't need more of your money haha
I agree with you !!!! 10k for a beautiful OMEGA Speedmaster moonwatch…
Old 05-01-2024, 06:49 PM
suffer
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dvu
agreed. I’m not a a super watch collector but I do like watches especially chronographs. I have a tag Carrera and a Rolex Daytona so was thinking of adding the Porsche chrono to the collection. Having said that, I find myself wearing my Apple Watch 9 times out of 10. Everyone’s point is well taken. Thx for all the advice.
I have a TAG Carrera Twin Time and a Daytona, too! I also wear my green Submariner a bunch. The Apple Watch is only used as a beater, but I wear my watches doing yard work, the gym, etc. The PCA meetups around Austin always have a lot of watch talk.

I would honestly not pay more than a grand for one of these Porsche watches. If it meant getting an allocation for something I really wanted, then sure. It's better than an ADM, but I'm not interested in them otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
dvu (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:21 PM
Daytona67
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm a watch collector (Rolex, AP, Patek) but I buy what I like with resale value in mind. Resale on Porsche watches in mint condition are a fraction of retail. I purchased a Sport Chrono with Subseconds 42mm, unworn full set for $1500, retail over $6000. If value does not matter to you, it would be kind of fun designing one to match your car but I'd sooner do so with a 1:18 scale diecast for much less $$.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:49 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 117 Posts

It's just a novelty if you want a watch that matches your car. Won't be worth anything when you decide to get rid of it. If you want a chronometer just get a speedmaster for way less than 10k.
A dealer was saying I'd get a "free" lone if I buy a used GTS pec car for 20k over MSRP.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:10 AM
suffer
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
It's just a novelty if you want a watch that matches your car. Won't be worth anything when you decide to get rid of it. If you want a chronometer just get a speedmaster for way less than 10k.
A dealer was saying I'd get a "free" lone if I buy a used GTS pec car for 20k over MSRP.
This is the watch nerd in me speaking, but the Speedmaster is not a certified chronometer. Maybe you meant chronograph, which it definitely is.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:42 AM
Crusje
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by suffer
This is the watch nerd in me speaking, but the Speedmaster is not a certified chronometer. Maybe you meant chronograph, which it definitely is.
Yeah that's what I meant! It was late at night posting.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:53 AM
dak656
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by suffer
New Speedmasters with 3861 movements most certainly are certified chronometers... METAS master chronometer. Mine runs within a second per day.

Quick Reply: Custom Porsche watch