Sponsored by:

Cost of painting exterior trims

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 06:13 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Cost of painting exterior trims

I'm thinking of adding a few aftermarket exterior trims to my C4. They would be small pieces like, for example, a smallish spoiler lip. Some pieces would have to be painted GT Silver for my liking. I know nothing about paint. If I go to an independent paint shop, is it possible to mix a small quantity? Typically how many coats would be required and would a clear coat be applied? Do I have to go to a high end paint shop to get the color match and get a decent quality paint job? What could I expect to pay for the spoiler lip as an example? No paint work would be done on any part of the original car, just on removable trim pieces.

Any info or suggestion would be much appreciated before I start calling local paint shops.

Last edited by mcacs1; 04-28-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:59 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by mcacs1
I'm thinking of adding a few aftermarket exterior trims to my C4. They would be small pieces like, for example, a smallish spoiler lip. Some pieces would have to be painted GT Silver for my liking. I know nothing about paint. If I go to an independent paint shop, is it possible to mix a small quantity? Typically how many coats would be required and would a clear coat be applied? Do I have to go to a high end paint shop to get the color match and get a decent quality paint job? What could I expect to pay for the spoiler lip as an example? No paint work would be done on any part of the original car, just on removable trim pieces.

Any info or suggestion would be much appreciated before I start calling local paint shops.
For the best paint match you’d need to take something from your car for the shop to use to ensure it’s in the same color spectrum. There are lots of good shops out there. Call your local Porsche dealership and find out who their certified body shop is; mine uses Caliber Collision. Yes, there will be a clear coat. Costs vary, so you’ll have to call around. It cost me about $400 to have my AeroKit front lip painted and $1300 to have all four pieces of my AeroKit wing painted. How good or bad the paint job turns out will depend on the prep and the color sanding/polish.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-28-2024 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcacs1 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:54 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

I don't know how many coats it needs, it definitely needs a clear coat. Go to a good body shop and ask them, blending paint to match existing cars is what they do all day. I would plan on spending $500-600 to have the spoiler painted properly.
mcacs1 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:38 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

It really depends on what you plan on painting and your location. Also, quality varies and you don't always get what you pay for, i.e. paying more does not guarantee better quality as it depends on the people doing the work.

I had a Darwin Pro rear lip spoiler painted guards red and they charged $500 including clear coat. This is in the greater Phoenix AZ area.

If you have other trim pieces you want painted, you will also have to factor in cost to remove and reinstall the trim pieces. Also, if the trim pieces are like the black plastic pieces on the car - like the black pieces under the side view mirrors or the black plastic pieces in the front and rear bumpers, that will require a lot more labor as they will need to sand down the textured plastic until it is completely smooth, then primer and paint. So it all really depends on exactly what you want painted, etc.

Best bet is to find reputable shops around your area and then visit them and get estimates and ask to see their work.
mcacs1 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 07:47 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you all for your answers, it definitely helps!
Old 04-30-2024, 11:45 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

Can you paint those large black plastic pieces or would paint not adhere to it? I know theres an option for high gloss black in the config but it requires sport PASM (which I dont want). saw this but dont want carbon look: https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...ucts/1773-0001. Is this something a paint/body shop can do?
Old 05-01-2024, 02:28 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
Can you paint those large black plastic pieces or would paint not adhere to it? I know theres an option for high gloss black in the config but it requires sport PASM (which I dont want). saw this but dont want carbon look: https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...ucts/1773-0001. Is this something a paint/body shop can do?
Yes! Your bumpers are plastic, the wings are plastic, the mirror housings are plastic, etc etc. Plastic is paintable.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:02 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
You can definitely paint the black plastic pieces but some shops will not want to do it because it will be labor intensive and costly as the textured plastic has to be sanded down smooth before it can be primered and painted. The more intricate the piece, the more of a PITA it is to sand down smoothly and uniformly.

Quick Reply: Cost of painting exterior trims