Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement pre delivery on 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 01:57 PM
thesandman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch replacement pre delivery on 2024

Dealer called today to say new delivery will be delayed bc clutch damage found on pre-delivery inspection.

"Message from dealer: During drop off the truck driver noted a smell when he picked it up. It was faint so we thought it was normal break in smell. As we put it through the shop and the tech road tested the car it started getting worse so he took another look at it today and did a borescope on the clutch.

It is worn but functional but after speaking with our rep and out of an abundance of caution we are going to replace it."

I asked what else is being replaced, but they said just a new clutch kit. The car has a total of 19 miles on it. Does this make any sense to anyone?
Old 04-26-2024, 02:04 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by thesandman
Dealer called today to say new delivery will be delayed bc clutch damage found on pre-delivery inspection.

"Message from dealer: During drop off the truck driver noted a smell when he picked it up. It was faint so we thought it was normal break in smell. As we put it through the shop and the tech road tested the car it started getting worse so he took another look at it today and did a borescope on the clutch.

It is worn but functional but after speaking with our rep and out of an abundance of caution we are going to replace it."

I asked what else is being replaced, but they said just a new clutch kit. The car has a total of 19 miles on it. Does this make any sense to anyone?
the logical thing that could’ve happened. Is they smoked the clutch loading it on the carrier..
The following 3 users liked this post by 4carl:
andredl (04-27-2024), Icegrill (04-26-2024), nyca (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 02:08 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 116 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure the dealer will take care of it to your satisfaction.

Last edited by RG88; 04-26-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:09 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

How do the tires look?
Lots of space at the ports to do stupid stuff.
Edit: I'd also ask for a DME report (Over-Rev). I did for mine because I was paranoid and it was all clear. Zero over-revs.

Last edited by Ikone; 04-26-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:26 PM
dak656
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought the cars had "transport mode" or something to that effect, with a very low rev limiter, until they arrived at the destination dealer. ???
Old 04-26-2024, 02:37 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dak656
I thought the cars had "transport mode" or something to that effect, with a very low rev limiter, until they arrived at the destination dealer. ???
i don’t know. That would make sense. But my dealer did get a brand new turbo gt with almost bald tires. Looked like it was tracked.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:21 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts

I forgot about that I think you’re right
Old 04-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4carl
I forgot about that I think you’re right
My guess is that the personnel at the port can turn this off and on, since they also do minor repairs and installs.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:24 PM
NickM
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, i got to sit in mine before PDI, It was 100% limited, had all sorts of lights on the dash, wouldn't rev up beyond 2.5k, couldn't swap driving modes and there was next to no gas in it either. So My guess would be the obvious, Someone let it slip real good, glazed the clutch and every next transport guy did a little more and little more damage.

I would be hard pressed to think the Port lots aren't monitored via cameras and that employee/workers are willing to risk their jobs hoooning around a customer car.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:59 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NickM
Yes, i got to sit in mine before PDI, It was 100% limited, had all sorts of lights on the dash, wouldn't rev up beyond 2.5k, couldn't swap driving modes and there was next to no gas in it either. So My guess would be the obvious, Someone let it slip real good, glazed the clutch and every next transport guy did a little more and little more damage.

I would be hard pressed to think the Port lots aren't monitored via cameras and that employee/workers are willing to risk their jobs hoooning around a customer car.
Let's hope so. When mine arrived from ED, I was able to see exactly where it was because I had an airtag in it. From the satellite images of the area, it looked like a huge dirt lot. I'd be surprised it had lighting, let alone cameras. But again, don't know. All pure speculation. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to put it in and out of transport mode. I've heard horror stories from my dealer.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:04 PM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

What could anyone possibly do in 19 miles?

Instead, could this result from a manufacturing defect at the factory? May be the clutch plates were not installed correctly?
Old 04-26-2024, 10:20 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
What could anyone possibly do in 19 miles?

Instead, could this result from a manufacturing defect at the factory? May be the clutch plates were not installed correctly?
My gut instinct is that it's also factory fault or bad manufacturing. But a lot can be done in 19 miles. Maybe you can ask to see the plates when they are out?
Old 04-26-2024, 11:04 PM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 83 Posts

That is crazy to hear. I wonder if they will offer anything extra. That is also insane about bald tires on the turbo.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:40 AM
thesandman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. Can't believe I've been saving money for over 10 years for my first 911 and it's not going smoothly. I was suspicious something was wrong bc they seemed in no hurry to move along the process of selling the car (or getting paid) though it's been at their dealership since Monday.

Great idea on the dme report. Stage 1 through 6 over revs are all 0, which is reasurring. The salesman looked at the rear tires and said they looked brand new. Said so far they're planning for just a clutch kit replacement bc they think it was due to someone at the port abusing the clutch. I asked to talk to the actual mechanic working on the car which he said he would arrange. Will Def ask to see the removed clutch. Hopefully the original clutch looks brand new and it was just a soft call?

interesting he mentioned this wouldn't show up in a future car fax report, but I think he is mistaken. I'll have to ask him about that again.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:26 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Don't let this mar your 10 year dream in any way. It is a small bump in that journey which you will likely forget in the first 10 miles of driving the car because your smile will be so big! And we can speculate all day as to how it happened but it will always just be speculation. You can choose to look at the bright side and assume this was a manufacturing issue - which is no big deal - and be happy that it was discovered in the first few miles and resolved prior to delivery rather than it showing up a couple of thousand miles down the road and having to show that you didn't cause it.

Clutch replacement is a mechanical/warranty fix and should not show up on Carfax.
The following 5 users liked this post by Drew46:
981KMAN (05-01-2024), 993RUF (05-01-2024), Angryinch (04-28-2024), Cachaco (04-27-2024), phefner (04-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement pre delivery on 2024