Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement pre delivery on 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 05:09 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by thesandman
Thanks for the replies everyone. Can't believe I've been saving money for over 10 years for my first 911 and it's not going smoothly. I was suspicious something was wrong bc they seemed in no hurry to move along the process of selling the car (or getting paid) though it's been at their dealership since Monday.

Great idea on the dme report. Stage 1 through 6 over revs are all 0, which is reasurring. The salesman looked at the rear tires and said they looked brand new. Said so far they're planning for just a clutch kit replacement bc they think it was due to someone at the port abusing the clutch. I asked to talk to the actual mechanic working on the car which he said he would arrange. Will Def ask to see the removed clutch. Hopefully the original clutch looks brand new and it was just a soft call?

interesting he mentioned this wouldn't show up in a future car fax report, but I think he is mistaken. I'll have to ask him about that again.
I'm sorry if I made you a bit paranoid. I think from what you wrote here you are doing all the right things. I would be much more comfortable going into the sale of this vehicle. This is now noted in the records and if something happens during the warranty period and possibly even outside of warranty they will cover it. Ask them about the 'outside of the warranty' part. If all the person did is burn the plates by not properly engaging the clutch, then you could look at it as wear and tear part.

Good luck and again, sorry.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:12 PM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 265 Posts

You are very lucky they noticed it, notified you, and are correcting the situation. If your rear tires are ok and the DME report is ok, I don’t think the car was abused.

May have been a manufacturing issue, and loading the car onto the carrier just exposed the problem before you took delivery. As mentioned, you now have documentation, and this will give you leverage if any future issues crop up.

The workers at the ports deal with far more expensive cars on a regular basis. I’m sure they aren’t going to risk a good job on a joyride.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:30 PM
JackieBoomi
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands down, this is 100% manufacturing defect of the clutch plate. The material is very robust and it takes a lot of abuse to get it to this point, if its worsening so fast a spring is bad, or the material has delaminated on the plate.
The following users liked this post:
PSPorsche (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 07:41 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 997 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
Let's hope so. When mine arrived from ED, I was able to see exactly where it was because I had an airtag in it. From the satellite images of the area, it looked like a huge dirt lot. I'd be surprised it had lighting, let alone cameras. But again, don't know. All pure speculation. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to put it in and out of transport mode. I've heard horror stories from my dealer.
please tell one of the stories
Old 04-27-2024, 07:53 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Icegrill
the turbo GT is just one. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. There are a couple more but those aren’t of joy rides but damages. I’d rather not get into it. My dealer might be reading this. lol.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:06 PM
don_two
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't a 911 (or anything close!!!) but my dad bought a new 1984 Renault Encore and the clutch was toast before the car had 100 miles on it. The dealer said it was a faulty clutch and the replacement was still fine when that car was sold with a bit more than 100K miles on it.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:59 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
What could anyone possibly do in 19 miles?

Instead, could this result from a manufacturing defect at the factory? May be the clutch plates were not installed correctly?
there is only one way to install the clutch.
Theoretically, they could’ve left the pressure plate bolts loose, which would cause the clutch to slip.
I think the chances of that are the same as me getting hit by lightning within the next five minutes,.

I think they smoked the clutch when they were moving the car around or loading it on the transporter.
I’ve seen people smoke their clutch just trying to go up a slight hill from a stop.
They slip the sh-it out of it it doesn’t take much.
don’t ask me how I know!
been there done that…
Old 05-01-2024, 10:42 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Just came across this relevant post as well. Not clutch specific or driving the car, but still interesting.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1255...l#post17486894

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement pre delivery on 2024