Sponsored by:

Track Dsy Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:55 PM
Vivienne
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Track Dsy Helmet

Going to track my new 911 and was wondering if any members recommend any affordable entry level snell SA2020 helmets?
Old 04-05-2024, 10:14 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

I recommend going somewhere to try them on.

RaceQuip is fairly inexpensive, but I found that they didn’t fit me well at all. I ended up going with a Simpson Bandit and it fits very well. But that’s what fits me. You need to go find what fits you.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:23 PM
Vivienne
Advanced

Thank you for the advise.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:05 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 313 Posts

100% try them on fit > brand.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:19 PM
PhilH930
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

As said, no substitute for trying them on. We have a summit racing some close which carried Simpson, G-Force, Bell. Expected to leave with a Simpson, but ended up with a G-Force.

One consideration though - I went for a full face helmet and got some tinted visors, thinking that was best with my Boxster GTS. I am now looking for an open face as I kept the visor up anyway with sunglasses during autocross, and didn’t appreciate how hot full face can get (motorcyclists will probably correct me here).plus in a 992 open face should be more than ok.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:57 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

I run an open face Bell in my 992T at HPDE events and it's more than suitable to me.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:29 PM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 341 Likes on 118 Posts

i have really liked my HJC helmets. Bought a couple from Stable Energies in NJ. great to work with.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:05 PM
redtanrt10
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

If this is your first time tracking and you want to keep costs down, go with and Open Face. Bell makes a great helmet that retails for about $350 If the track bug takes ahold of you, then get a Stilo full face!! Best wishes and have fun, listen to the instructors, they'll help you a bunch!!!
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:00 AM
Vivienne
Advanced

Thank you. 🙏
Old 04-08-2024, 11:11 AM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 216 Posts

Since I am a motorcycle guy I use my Arai full face motorcycle Snell approved helmet with a lightly tinted shield that I can leave up if its overcast or lower it back down if it is sunny outside. These helmets are very well vented so not too hot inside either. About $1000 these days. For autocross open face would probably suffice but at high speed tracks like Road Atlanta, I just have to have a full face helmet on. Nobody thinks they are going to crash but you never know, so at high speed, I want all the protection I can have. I have crashed road racing motorcycles at over 140mph with a Arai full face helmet on and Arai has saved my life more than once. YMMV.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:30 PM
sur5or
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Loved my Arai when I biked, but…

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
Since I am a motorcycle guy I use my Arai full face motorcycle Snell approved helmet with a lightly tinted shield that I can leave up if its overcast or lower it back down if it is sunny outside. These helmets are very well vented so not too hot inside either. About $1000 these days. For autocross open face would probably suffice but at high speed tracks like Road Atlanta, I just have to have a full face helmet on. Nobody thinks they are going to crash but you never know, so at high speed, I want all the protection I can have. I have crashed road racing motorcycles at over 140mph with a Arai full face helmet on and Arai has saved my life more than once. YMMV.

I don’t know what the modern Snell rating is on motorcycle helmets, but in my area PCA doesn’t allow these for hpde because they aren’t fire resistant.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:51 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,828 Likes on 998 Posts

^ impact rating is different also.

But realistically for HPDE's requiring a SA helmet is overkill. The fire protection a race helmet gives is of almost zero value and a significant amount of organizations and groups are 100% ok with M rated helmets. Burn times on full interior cars before fire penetrates the cabin is a long time. 10+ minutes in my experience. if you need the fire rating on your helmet you're probably dead anyway since it only provides seconds of safety not minutes.

The point where you should wear a SA helmet is if you have a cage involved, if the interior is gutted in anyway, aftermarket fuel cell or mucked with the fueling on the car in anyway by moving stuff outside of stock positions. Someone may bring up windows being down as fire being able to enter the cabin quickly and that doesn't actually factor in.

No one is going to be able to argue their way past organization requirements though, so if you got an M helmet and you're allowed to use it, I'd stick with that especially if it's ultra light weight and $$$, but if you have to buy a helmet, get a cheap SA helmet with hans potential. I dont see anything inherently wrong with the cheap entry level helmets for safety from impact, but they do weigh more than a lot of high end helmets and making your head heavier in an impact is not a good thing... but cheap helmet + HANS is my solution and I've put an open wheel car into a cement wall hard before and felt like a million bucks since then thx to a hans. So I'd say if you stick with the track day stuff, get a hans asap if you're looking to get safety equipment that actually does a lot for you.

Last edited by Zhao; 04-15-2024 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:51 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,364 Likes on 1,531 Posts

SA Rating has a fire resistant liner and is designed for one large impact.
M Rating (motorcycle) is designed for multiple impacts - head hitting the blacktop several times

The requirement for an SA rated helmet at the level of doing track days is silly, because you are not wearing nomex! Nonetheless, you show up with an M rated helmet and they require SA, you won't be driving that day unless you can borrow someones nasty backup lid. Full face is better in actual collisions, especially if a deer comes through the windshield, which happens more than you would think on East Coast tracks. 3/4 Open Face is better for communications, especially for Instructors with comms units. I used to drag one of each to the track.

A group of us once went to VIR on a brutally hot summer weekend for a DE event. We all wore T-shirts and shorts, then we got there and discovered they (VIR track management) had changed the track rules. Everyone had to have long sleeves and the material had to be 100% cotton as it was more "Fire Resistant". SERIOUSLY? "Yep, you boyz can't drive until you comply". Ahhh..you rat-bas...... so we all piled into a couple of four door M3's went into town to the Wal Mart and we all bought men's pajamas. They were long sleeve and cotton, and of course we bought the most outrageous patterns we could find. Polka Dots were the big hit. And we drove the weekend in Wal Mart PJ's we were quite the sensation in the pits.

Last edited by drcollie; 04-15-2024 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:03 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 1,762 Posts

That's hysterical. I thought you were going to say you all took turns sharing the only 2 long sleeve shirts in the group! But your story has better imagery.

Quick Reply: Track Dsy Helmet