Sponsored by:

dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 02:54 PM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default dead battery

OK, I'm sure that I could spend some time finding this info on this site somehow, but let me just give you the situation and someone can give me the cheat sheet on this.

My car has been in my garage on a trickle charger plugged into the passenger side 12v socket. I thought all was well till I tried to unlock it today with the key fob, no luck. I manually unlocked the door and it appears that my battery is totally flat. I am unable to open the frunk because there is no manual release. I grabbed a battery charger and attached it to the red wire behind the fuse cover located in the driver's side footwell and attached the negative to a screw on the door hinge., per owner's manual. Immediately, my hard wired radar detector beeped and stayed on, but even after a while of keeping it there, I was unable to release the trunk lid with the button on my fob or on the door jamb.

The manual says to use another battery, not a battery charger, but I don't have another battery my charger can be set at 2, 10 and 50 amps depending on the intended usage, I tried all settings, none give any juice to the trunk release.

Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2024, 03:06 PM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

Never mind, I had the red terminal hooked up to my wire for my radar detector, there is a specific terminal for the trunk! sorry to waste people's time with this!
Old 03-30-2024, 07:47 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,330 Posts

It's a great feeling when you answer your own questions!

siberian
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 08:55 AM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 110 Posts

I’m not sure using the passenger side 12V outlet is the best method (or actually THE method) to trickle charge your car. Lots on info on this forum detailing that and it’s unnecessary to go into it again here. Hook directly to the battery. Glad you solved it though…!
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 10:41 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts

^^^Agreed. Internal sockets have too many reliability issues…time restricted when activating, no reset after power cut etc. Recommend you fit direct to battery, live and ground

Last edited by BondJ; 03-31-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:45 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiems
OK, I'm sure that I could spend some time finding this info on this site somehow, but let me just give you the situation and someone can give me the cheat sheet on this.

My car has been in my garage on a trickle charger plugged into the passenger side 12v socket. I thought all was well till I tried to unlock it today with the key fob, no luck. I manually unlocked the door and it appears that my battery is totally flat. I am unable to open the frunk because there is no manual release. I grabbed a battery charger and attached it to the red wire behind the fuse cover located in the driver's side footwell and attached the negative to a screw on the door hinge., per owner's manual. Immediately, my hard wired radar detector beeped and stayed on, but even after a while of keeping it there, I was unable to release the trunk lid with the button on my fob or on the door jamb.

The manual says to use another battery, not a battery charger, but I don't have another battery my charger can be set at 2, 10 and 50 amps depending on the intended usage, I tried all settings, none give any juice to the trunk release.

Thoughts?
How long has the car been sitting without driving?
Old 03-31-2024, 10:48 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,900 Likes on 1,366 Posts

you're going to need something like this to get your car started again.

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-01-2024, 06:32 AM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

it had only been sitting about 7 weeks since the last start. I put my battery charger on the battery in the 10 amp setting for about 3 hours and the car fired up as if there never had been an issue. I went out for a 20 minute drive, turned it off, and went for another drive the following day, the car started right up. Did not have it on any type of trickle. Done with the trickle charger for the season at this point, next winter i will go direct to battery.. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2024, 10:27 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you have PIWIS, I would be interested to know what's the software version of your ConBox; 0412 or 0420? Thanks for posting if you do and the year of your 992. Thanks

siberian
Old 04-02-2024, 08:12 AM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

I don't have a scanner, my car is a 2021 S.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The most useful thing you'll buy is an analyzer. Forget the bling and get something that will help keep you on the road.

And read up as a lot of "issues" you may come across have been found by folks who have spend countless hours finding thing out. Your time is no more important than theirs.

siberian
Old 04-02-2024, 02:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
The most useful thing you'll buy is an analyzer. Forget the bling and get something that will help keep you on the road.

And read up as a lot of "issues" you may come across have been found by folks who have spend countless hours finding thing out. Your time is no more important than theirs.

siberian
+1. I spent ages arguing the BMS and battery management generally on these cars is not fit for purpose, well documented on THIS thread, but in the end it came down to letting the car go or just dealing with it. I chose the latter, hooked up a CTEK maintainer with a 'comfort-connector' hooked up to the battery positive and the body earth and sticking out into the scuttle next to the wipers. Car is hooked up to it at all times when in the garage.

I bought one of the Bluetooth condition analyzers too but so far it's sitting on the bench and hasn't been needed.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you have a copy of PIWIS can you check what your ConBox value is please?

siberian

Quick Reply: dead battery