Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M-engineering tuning offered at the Porsche Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024 | 05:45 PM
gthal
Pro

Originally Posted by rwbern
Did the op ask the dealer ? No indication that he did or the dealer’s reply.
The dealer can elect to cover it at their cost. Ask before the work is done.
You are correct in that he didn't ask the dealer... and I can 100% guarantee we all know the dealer's answer when asked if they will honour an engine warranty if Porsche refuses to do so. And if they say "yes" then the OP needs it in writing and reviewed by their lawyer . Why would the dealer ever agree to cover warranty at their own cost? Considering you can install the tune yourself so easily, they can't be getting paid much for the 10 minutes of time it takes and it would make zero sense for them to guarantee a warranty for such small margin selling an M-Engineering tune.

As others have said, the risk is likely very low regardless and this is somewhat of an academic discussion but the OP asked a question and the answer is pretty clear to most people... and, yes, check with the dealer to see if they will cover the engine out of their own pocket in case Porsche won't

Last edited by gthal; 03-08-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2024 | 10:13 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Has there been a known engine failure that can be unquestionably the direct result of an after market calibration from one of the well known reputable outfits who market these products?
The following users liked this post:
First911GTSTarga (06-16-2024)
Old 03-09-2024 | 10:21 AM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

Hypothetically speaking, if an owner has a tune on their car and something catastrophic happens, would you be able to revert back to the factory tune? I always wondered this because if you did have a major issue, your car may not even allow you to revert back to the factory tune.
The following users liked this post:
2thHappy (06-15-2024)
Old 03-09-2024 | 02:24 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlitzIS
Hypothetically speaking, if an owner has a tune on their car and something catastrophic happens, would you be able to revert back to the factory tune? I always wondered this because if you did have a major issue, your car may not even allow you to revert back to the factory tune.
From prior experience, I believe you have a point. With my car, the dealer could not even get error codes, the car was not communicating with PIWIS. Of course, I'm not saying it's the case with this product, which was not even available at the time. Diagnostic was through borescope.
Old 03-09-2024 | 06:01 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Like my old 2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel forum days where you stuck an "Edge" piggyback chip on there and the mantra was 'YOU ARE YOUR OWN WARRANTY STATION' when you modify your vehicle.

That is pretty cool though that the P dealer is offering up M-Engineering's products.
Old 03-09-2024 | 08:59 PM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Another thing I always wonder about is if you revert the tune back to stock, can Porsche tell? I read somewhere that with Volkswagens they can tell if you were tuned and then changed it back to stock.
Old 03-10-2024 | 01:18 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverscooby27
Another thing I always wonder about is if you revert the tune back to stock, can Porsche tell? I read somewhere that with Volkswagens they can tell if you were tuned and then changed it back to stock.
Yes, they can.

Don't let any tuner tell you otherwise.
Old 03-10-2024 | 04:22 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, they can.

Don't let any tuner tell you otherwise.
A well respected service manager in SF recently told me that Porsche doesn't use the same system as Audi and VW to check for a flash everytime a computer is plugged in. If flashed back to stock, a dealer can't even tell it was flashed, however, complete ecu and engine data is shared with Porsche in DE and they can tell by looking deep enough (doesn't happen often, but it does).
The following 3 users liked this post by CurryPuff:
rr_gts (03-10-2024), silverscooby27 (03-10-2024), vg247 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024 | 09:17 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
A well respected service manager in SF recently told me that Porsche doesn't use the same system as Audi and VW to check for a flash everytime a computer is plugged in. If flashed back to stock, a dealer can't even tell it was flashed, however, complete ecu and engine data is shared with Porsche in DE and they can tell by looking deep enough (doesn't happen often, but it does).
this is 100% correct.
Old 03-10-2024 | 10:07 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

You are never really alone in the 911. Big Brother is watching. You might be surprised at the amount of data available to the tech; error codes, over-rev, date, time & even speed depending upon the error, etc.
Old 06-15-2024 | 06:06 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M Engineering
This thread has gotten a bit out of hand especially with our company name in the title of it so I wanted to chime one final time.

If maintaining your car's warranty is a top concern of yours, tuning probably isn't for you. That being said, our product makes it very easy to return to stock, literally 5 minutes, and is a byte for byte stock file with a verified CVN, verified CALID, and no raised flash counter. I have not seen or heard of a single 992 engine failure (Carrera or Turbo) using our product. I also have not heard of a warranty being voided after going to the dealer after returning to stock with our product.

These cars are so overbuilt from the factory it's unreal. Porsche has made a great canvas for customization and that is the amazing thing about the 911. We are all so very fortunate to be able to drive these cars. If you enjoy adding more power to your daily driver, adding fun modifications, or pushing your car to new limits, the product we have created for this community is very enjoyable. Our future pipeline also has some unique custom code we've written that adds more engine safeties beyond what the factory has to offer, and we can't wait to share these with you.

At the end of the day, it's up to the end-user to do their own risk analysis when choosing to mod their vehicle in any capacity.

We are here to answer any additional questions anyone may have! 949.444.2150 or info@m-engineering.us

-Charles@M
Can you expand on the custom codes in the pipeline and what they will address exactly? What specific safeties? Thanks!
Old Yesterday | 09:29 PM
Minisoda
Rennlist Member

Personal preference based on risk tolerance, but I’m planning to tune mine for the following reasons:

- Don’t really NEED the extra power but I certainly let didn’t need the first 650 horse either.
- Ability to remove the tune before stealership gives me comfort
- Fact that warranties don’t last forever
- If the absolute worst case scenario with low probability is a blown engine replacement for $70k, it’s not the end of the world

I might die tomorrow and would hate for that to happen before experiencing 800 hp.
The following 2 users liked this post by Minisoda:
AlterZgo (Yesterday), dg108 (Today)
Old Yesterday | 10:04 PM
CM991
Rennlist Member

All these theories yet not a single case here on Rennlist of a blown engine due to a tune and a voided warranty.

Can someone link me to a thread of a blown engine due to a tune?
Old Yesterday | 10:19 PM
jezzaa
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Mclane
From prior experience, I believe you have a point. With my car, the dealer could not even get error codes, the car was not communicating with PIWIS. Of course, I'm not saying it's the case with this product, which was not even available at the time. Diagnostic was through borescope.
In case I misunderstand this, it does mean that in an event of a catastrophic engine failure we may not be able to flash the ecu back to stock. correct?
Old Yesterday | 10:24 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CM991
All these theories yet not a single case here on Rennlist of a blown engine due to a tune and a voided warranty.

Can someone link me to a thread of a blown engine due to a tune?
Not likely you’ll ever see one IMHO. Imagine someone had a failed head gasket, dropped a valve, or burned a rod bearing… how can any of those be definitively correlated with ‘a tune’ rather than a general ‘manufacturing defect’? Sure more heat/pressure/power will stress all systems, but how would one ever determine if those failures wouldn’t have also happened on a stock motor, albeit on a longer timeframe perhaps? Plenty of stories here of stock engine replacements reported here after just a few hundred miles - Porsche is not perfect.

Like Charles said, if you are worried about a warranty, don’t tune it, otherwise have a ball.

Last edited by jlegelis; Yesterday at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: M-engineering tuning offered at the Porsche Dealership