Sponsored by:

M-engineering tuning offered at the Porsche Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 08:59 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by freesole
Great to see a tune be offered by a dealership. Obviously fine print here matters but PCNA endorsing and approving of a tune would typically mean good things for the car owner. I would definitely get a tune from the dealership if so.
A specific dealer offering to sell a tune from another third party in no way implies that PCNA is endorsing or approving of it. Dealers are independently owned franchise stores that are allowed to sell various third party products as they choose within the terms of their licensing agreement. This is like when a dealer sells whatever aftermarket paint protection product. That is not something that is specifically endorsed or approved by PCNA.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:39 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
A specific dealer offering to sell a tune from another third party in no way implies that PCNA is endorsing or approving of it. Dealers are independently owned franchise stores that are allowed to sell various third party products as they choose within the terms of their licensing agreement. This is like when a dealer sells whatever aftermarket paint protection product. That is not something that is specifically endorsed or approved by PCNA.
Exactly. A buddy of mine had a Dinan tune installed by his BMW dealer that was also an authorized Dinan dealer. When his engine blew up, his car got stuck in the shop for over year during a legal tug of war between Dinan, BMW NA and his dealer. Not a fun endeavour.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:14 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyking

Gotta love the warranty preachers and finger waggers. They are NOT going to tune their 911s so you should not either! OMG, what about that almighty warranty. Who has busted a motor with a reasonable non ragged edge calibration from a known, reputable tuner.
It’s not the tune really, it’s if the engine grenades due to something else due to assembly, or whatever.

It’s like when you make an insurance claim on your house, and the insurance company does everything they can to deny it.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Jeff Whitten (03-05-2024), Schwarz992C4S (03-04-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 04:44 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
And why would that be? The Porsche warranty literature is quite about modifications and warranty. Unless the dealer provides something in writing, they are in no way obligated to cover anything.
What I meant was, if it ends up becoming an engine issue due to a tune, I would think the dealership who offered it would he incline to work with the tuning company to find a resolution. If it's an issue not related to the tune, dealership would be inclined to request warranty approval from PCNA. But you are right, if I'm getting a tune from a dealership, I would get it all in writing.

In Canada, a BMW dealership installed a bunch of Dinan parts for customers and in writing provided warranty where depending on the issue they would either deal with BMW or Dinan.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:10 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
What I meant was, if it ends up becoming an engine issue due to a tune, I would think the dealership who offered it would he incline to work with the tuning company to find a resolution. If it's an issue not related to the tune, dealership would be inclined to request warranty approval from PCNA. But you are right, if I'm getting a tune from a dealership, I would get it all in writing.

In Canada, a BMW dealership installed a bunch of Dinan parts for customers and in writing provided warranty where depending on the issue they would either deal with BMW or Dinan.
See my above post regarding my buddy who got a Dinan tune installed at a BMW dealer that was also an approved Dinan dealer. The issue arrises when the OE and tuner point the finger at each other leaving the customer stranded in the middle.
The following users liked this post:
itrocks4u (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 01:14 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

This is not the first time a dealer offered a tune, guys.

A few years back another forumer (from Ohio, I believe?) posted about how his dealer installed an APR tune. That has nothing to do with warranty, though, as others have said
Icegrill (03-06-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 03:03 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
This is not the first time a dealer offered a tune, guys.

A few years back another forumer (from Ohio, I believe?) posted about how his dealer installed an APR tune. That has nothing to do with warranty, though, as others have said
yeah, our dealer installs GMIAC tunes and soul exchausts for years...and they will "help" as much as they can if anything happens down the line but don't put that on paper as they can't. Its on a best effort basis - no warranties implied.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:12 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

We have a number of Porsche and McLaren dealerships in our dealer network that sell our products and have been doing so for a number of years. It's up to the end-user to understand their vehicle's warranty status and assume all risks. At the end of the day, you are modifying your vehicle. Some dealers are more "mod friendly" than others. M-Tuner is easily reversible back to stock (5 minutes) for when you go into service.

-Charles@M
rasetsu (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 03:16 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

I feel like buying a tune from a dealer is like buying condoms from your church. I just don't like one knowing about the other.
The following 12 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
CZS (03-05-2024), Highline-Autos.com (03-07-2024), Jeff Whitten (03-05-2024), M Engineering (03-05-2024), Master Deep (03-05-2024), por356 (03-05-2024), Ray K. (03-05-2024), SamD (03-07-2024), Scott P (03-10-2024), silverscooby27 (03-05-2024), Tobeit (03-05-2024), zachr (03-10-2024) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-05-2024, 03:25 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

The finger waggers are certainly out in full force today.
I've owned more performance vehicles than I can remember at this point and tuned/modified every one of them to some degree and never had a single problem.

There are many of us who do these things and actually do "get it" but thanks for all the warnings and doomsday scenarios.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:56 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

I've owned more performance vehicles than I can remember at this point and tuned/modified every one of them to some degree and never had a single problem.

There are many of us who do these things and actually do "get it" but thanks for all the warnings and doomsday scenarios.
Chill my friend. I dont see excessive finger wagging here. Just folks with different level of risk tolerance,some dont care, some have enough cash to never worry about others have to save for a car etc etc.. It's simple, You make it a bigger deal on your own. Maybe you are a little eager to point out that you tune all your cars and dont haved to worry about it. Good for you.

PS: I had many tuned cars, most worked fine as long as I had them, some did not to various degrees. One got blacklisted by mfg and another was just in the shop for troubleshooting. So, yeah, I also "get it".
The following 3 users liked this post by Tobeit:
gthal (03-05-2024), rasetsu (03-05-2024), Vicbastige (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 03:58 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

Sounds like a serious case of Autozheimer's.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:51 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Chill my friend. I dont see excessive finger wagging here. Just folks with different level of risk tolerance,some dont care, some have enough cash to never worry about others have to save for a car etc etc.. It's simple, You make it a bigger deal on your own. Maybe you are a little eager to point out that you tune all your cars and dont haved to worry about it. Good for you.

PS: I had many tuned cars, most worked fine as long as I had them, some did not to various degrees. One got blacklisted by mfg and another was just in the shop for troubleshooting. So, yeah, I also "get it".
LOL.
Sounds like it is you who should "chill" and doubt if anyone needs the tuning lecture which is guranteed to be broadcast by someone in these threads.
Certainly does not sound as if tuning/modding has gone well for you.

Last edited by shelbyking; 03-05-2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:05 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

LOL.
Sounds like it is you who should "chill" as you have found a way to respond with a personal slur and doubt if anyone needs the tuning lecture which is guranteed to be broadcast by someone in these threads.
Certainly does not sound as if tuning/modding has gone well for you. No need to be bitter.
"Personal slur"? What? How in the world did you read into that reply that way?
Old 03-05-2024, 05:19 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
"Personal slur"? What? How in the world did you read into that reply that way?
I was asking myself the same. Not sure.

Quick Reply: M-engineering tuning offered at the Porsche Dealership