Sponsored by:

Aftermarket exhaust options w/o tunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 10:11 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust options w/o tunes

I’m looking to add some volume + turbo noises to my 992 GTS.

from scouring on Rennlist, people tend to suggest link pipes with 200 cell cats; however, I’m reading that tunes are mandatory. I want to avoid a tune as to not mess with the factory warranty.

which aftermarket exhaust options that do not drone will increase the volume without affecting warranty?
Old 02-19-2024, 10:20 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 772 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by brandobot
I’m looking to add some volume + turbo noises to my 992 GTS.

from scouring on Rennlist, people tend to suggest link pipes with 200 cell cats; however, I’m reading that tunes are mandatory. I want to avoid a tune as to not mess with the factory warranty.

which aftermarket exhaust options that do not drone will increase the volume without affecting warranty?
Enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole. Below is a great start. As for me, I wanted the same as you and chose the Cargraphic valve controller and the SS iPE cat-back exhaust. Very happy with my results.

https://flat6motorsports.com/pages/992exhaustseries
The following 2 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
Tobeit (02-20-2024), tourenwagen (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:29 AM
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Tune is needed for 100 Cell and no cat, but 200 cell is fine without tune
Old 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Just get cargraphic valve controller to fully open valves. It’ll be much louder and aggressive - makes PSE sound awesome, but not obnoxious. That’s all you need for your needs. Simple and cheap. No cats or aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by reddsektor; 02-20-2024 at 01:14 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by reddsektor:
3rdpedal (02-23-2024), Master Deep (02-20-2024), OMTarga4S (02-20-2024), Porschetuner2005 (02-21-2024), vg247 (03-08-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 01:23 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddsektor
Just get cargraphic valve controller to fully open valves. It’ll be much louder and aggressive - makes PSE sound awesome, but not obnoxious. That’s all you need for your needs. Simple and cheap. No cats or aftermarket exhaust.
interesting. I’d be interested in knowing how much volume you’d get with a valve controller vs an aftermarket muffler like Akra vs a valve controller + aftermarket exhaust
Old 02-20-2024, 01:27 AM
SecaSipper911
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the tips on Cargraphic -- I'm in a similar boat to OP. Wondering about Tune affecting warranty. Any ideas as to why Porsche chose to restrict the valves from 1000 to 4000 RPM? I'm assuming noise regulations in the EU?
Old 02-20-2024, 01:30 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddsektor
interesting. I’d be interested in knowing how much volume you’d get with just a valve controller vs an aftermarket muffler like Akra vs a valve controller + aftermarket exhaust
Old 02-20-2024, 01:37 AM
SecaSipper911
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

interesting. I’d be interested in knowing how much volume you’d get with just a valve controller vs an aftermarket muffler like Akra vs a valve controller + aftermarket exhaust

Check out this video from Flat6 to answer the first part of your question:
The following users liked this post:
brandobot (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 01:48 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Very cool. The tone of the PSE with valves open sounds similar to that of the Akra. The Akra sounds marginally louder than stock.

logically the valve controller alone meets my needs, though the idea of losing some weight in the rear and getting a few extra ponies is worth getting the Akra exhaust in addition to the valve controller.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:45 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

interesting. I’d be interested in knowing how much volume you’d get with a valve controller vs an aftermarket muffler like Akra vs a valve controller + aftermarket exhaust
I’ve run the valve controller with stock exhaust, with aftermarket exhaust, and with aftermarket exhaust and sport cats.

Valves full open is the single biggest change to make it louder at lower rpms and is needed regardless of whatever else you’re doing IMO. M Coder is another option and I think it’s easier to use than the CG because it used the car PSE button, but regardless of how you do it, you need to get your valves open as step 1. It’s also the least expensive option.

The cat back exhaust (for me, mine is APR) increased volume a little, but more changes the tone. I would do this again also.

The sport cats increase the volume further (but note that they can throw a CEL— mine did— and required a tune, which I was doing anyway). I can drive around all day with valves open and cat back exhaust changed by itself. But adding sport cats (with the other changes already in place) crosses a threshold (for me) where it’s too loud sometimes. Which is fine. That’s what I want. I don’t always want the same volume, so if it’s never too much, then that means there are times that it’s not enough. So for me, all 3 were required. YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhenson29:
OMTarga4S (02-20-2024), Porschetuner2005 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:38 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Depends on the catback you pick. Fabspeed w/o mufflers comes to mind that would be more change than a valved/muffled cat back. I use SS IPE as another fellow above + cargraphic and both alone make a significant change to the exhaust sound...both together and in particular at cold start and it gets a bit rowdy for the first 90 seconds. First time I started it my neighbor came out wondering ....
Old 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
I’ve run the valve controller with stock exhaust, with aftermarket exhaust, and with aftermarket exhaust and sport cats.

Valves full open is the single biggest change to make it louder at lower rpms and is needed regardless of whatever else you’re doing IMO. M Coder is another option and I think it’s easier to use than the CG because it used the car PSE button, but regardless of how you do it, you need to get your valves open as step 1. It’s also the least expensive option.

The cat back exhaust (for me, mine is APR) increased volume a little, but more changes the tone. I would do this again also.

The sport cats increase the volume further (but note that they can throw a CEL— mine did— and required a tune, which I was doing anyway). I can drive around all day with valves open and cat back exhaust changed by itself. But adding sport cats (with the other changes already in place) crosses a threshold (for me) where it’s too loud sometimes. Which is fine. That’s what I want. I don’t always want the same volume, so if it’s never too much, then that means there are times that it’s not enough. So for me, all 3 were required. YMMV.
Great outline.

I currently have a JCR valved ti catback coupled with the cargraphics valve controller. Wife was riding shotgun and insisted I press button #2 on the remote. I promptly purchased the JCR cats in the hopes she won't be able to handle it even with valves closed.

Gumar is fine with anything.

Will post results.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:33 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I have my options narrowed down to getting an Akra first, then potentially getting a valve controller. Some reviews say the difference between valve closed and open using a controller on the Akra isn’t as different as valved closed and open on a stock exhaust.

Those of you with aftermarket exhausts like akra, did you feel the valve controller was necessary?

with regards to the sport cats, I will skip this as I don’t want to deal with CELs and tunes
Old 02-20-2024, 11:36 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Thanks all. I have my options narrowed down to getting an Akra first, then potentially getting a valve controller. Some reviews say the difference between valve closed and open using a controller on the Akra isn’t as different as valved closed and open on a stock exhaust.

Those of you with aftermarket exhausts like akra, did you feel the valve controller was necessary?

with regards to the sport cats, I will skip this as I don’t want to deal with CELs and tunes
I did the exhaust first and then added the controller...yes, just for fun its worth it and does make a big difference still.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:41 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Just get the JCR Non Valved Non Silenced titanium exhaust. You will thank me later

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust options w/o tunes