Sponsored by:

Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 07:17 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 903 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by rosencrance
My build freeze date will be 2/27 and I've learned a lot by reading comments on build opinions. Much appreciated. My build as of today (it seems to change daily per my wife), is PRHZA490. All comments and suggestions are welcome.
Some small stuff:
- preparation for roof transport system
- preparation for dashcam
- passenger cup holder trim in leather (because someone here told me otherwise the dash has plastic trimmed inserts)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:12 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

WRT pass cup holder trim in leather, mine doesn't have it and I never notice it at all. Even when I stare at it, it looks pretty much identical to the surrounding dashboard and glove box door leather. But, then again, I am not one to notice the non-leather steering column cover either.

I would take the money for that leather cupholder and spend it on a sportshifters shift **** to get rid of the janky plasticky stock shift **** which feels super cheap when the plastic part creaks and feels loose on your $170K - $200K car.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 02-26-2024 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nein Eleven (02-28-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 04:22 PM
Will Motivation
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Absolutely beautiful spec if you ask me!
Old 02-26-2024, 05:12 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 903 Likes on 504 Posts

Those shift ***** are nice for people who have manuals. They should have made something for the PDK, it would have had a high take rate as an aftermarket item, as almost everyone doesn't like the braun shaver.
The following 2 users liked this post by nyca:
Fullyield (02-28-2024), Will Motivation (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:29 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Those shift ***** are nice for people who have manuals. They should have made something for the PDK, it would have had a high take rate as an aftermarket item, as almost everyone doesn't like the braun shaver.
I think that the Braun shaver is an overblown forum meme. It matches the five function buttons below the PCM screen and the two temp switches. Not to mention that the shifter design came from the 918.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:42 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
I think that the Braun shaver is an overblown forum meme. It matches the five function buttons below the PCM screen and the two temp switches. Not to mention that the shifter design came from the 918.
The Braun shaver is an electronic selector, not a mechanical shifter. It is disappointment with its reduced function as well as its diminutive appearance in a sea of piano black. The overall design of the entire central console when matched with the tiny ‘nubbin’ selector is terrible. OOO editor Alexander Palevsky recently wrote an excellent essay on this topic in Issue 28 at page 254 which is worth the read: “[T]he ‘nubbin’ removes a critical interaction point between car and driver-at a time when such interactions are inching toward extinction. The lever’s inability to shift manually is a glaring omission …which only makes perfect sense in a boardroom in an office complex somewhere in central Germany.” Not only is it fugly but it further reduced driver engagement by eliminating the ability of the driver to use the selector manually, especially in tight turns.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:02 PM
Will Motivation
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The Braun shaver is an electronic selector, not a mechanical shifter. It is disappointment with its reduced function as well as its diminutive appearance in a sea of piano black. The overall design of the entire central console when matched with the tiny ‘nubbin’ selector is terrible. OOO editor Alexander Palevsky recently wrote an excellent essay on this topic in Issue 28 at page 254 which is worth the read: “[T]he ‘nubbin’ removes a critical interaction point between car and driver-at a time when such interactions are inching toward extinction. The lever’s inability to shift manually is a glaring omission …which only makes perfect sense in a boardroom in an office complex somewhere in central Germany.” Not only is it fugly but it further reduced driver engagement by eliminating the ability of the driver to use the selector manually, especially in tight turns.
I agree with this 100%. They removed the function of being able to shift gears with the mechanical pdk shifter. I HATE THAT Braun shaver crap!!!!!!!!!
They should make it an option in the future. If somebody wants that they let them option it. I was set on buying a Ford Mustang GT500 until they went with that dial shifter thing. I almost did not want to get the 911 because of this but figured I would still like the car without the mechanical PDK shifter.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:40 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The manual shifter looks very out of place in the 992 cabin to me. It objectively coordinates with nothing else and plops a big leather shift boot in the middle of a piano black center console. I’m not sure what OOO is but you should tell that guy that he should be doing his shifting and braking before the tight turns, not in the middle of them. Maybe he would be better off letting PDK shift for him.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:03 AM
chalker911s
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

build looks good
consider Porsche crest on armrest
what about sport side skirts esp since you have sport fascia in front
Old 02-29-2024, 08:01 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by chalker911s
build looks good
consider Porsche crest on armrest
what about sport side skirts esp since you have sport fascia in front
Do the side skirts make a big difference with sports package/fascia in front? I don't see much of it on the configurator- especially in a dark car. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2024, 08:04 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The manual shifter looks very out of place in the 992 cabin to me. It objectively coordinates with nothing else and plops a big leather shift boot in the middle of a piano black center console. I’m not sure what OOO is but you should tell that guy that he should be doing his shifting and braking before the tight turns, not in the middle of them. Maybe he would be better off letting PDK shift for him.
I'll have to go with agree to disagree with you. The leather seats/ dash tie in with the shift boot.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (02-29-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 12:48 AM
jhardy
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael M.
Great build, if you are looking to trim the cost a bit, I would agree with most here that FAL and RAS are not the upgrades worth having given the cost. Most people I've talked to say RAS only really helps on track and makes daily driving sometimes feel artificial. I think if you want a track car, you would order a GTS. RAS makes tighter turning circles so if that's important, decide if its 2k worth it. The other place you could trim costs and keep the same car is 14 way instead of 18 way. My SA is pushing me away from the 18 way to 14 ways. Try to sit in both, I did and found the 14 great and the 18 felt almost as good. If you sit in both and they are the same, decide if the 1.2K is worth for the look.

In terms of color, I love Arctic Grey, I think its the right color over agate grey. I've got a GT silver on order with a similar build, going truffle brown interior, I've seen the arctic grey, love it but I'm going for that classic old man look Carrera S, with the manual. The 930 is the bomb, I skipped FAL and RAS to spend the money that I will see and enjoy sitting in the car at a red light..

I would consider adding the prep for roof rails, its 60 bucks. Last item to consider cutting if you want to trim the build cost is the front fascia. I know you said you love it, I love it too but decided not to get it. 3k for a look and you lose the active aero flaps in front. I skipped it because I decided to either go full aero package or none of it. Good luck, you can't go wrong no matter what you do.
We have a similar build sounds like! I told my buddy it was the 'old man spec' too...GT Silver over Truffle Brown w/ 930. Even optioned the silver window trim:

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...C2.VF0.VR0.Z1S
Old 04-02-2024, 01:05 AM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The manual shifter looks very out of place in the 992 cabin to me.
Really? Is this a serious post or sarcasm? Everyone in the Universe thinks that the manual shifter looks a lot more at home in the 992 cabin. Certainly it looks better than the teeny weeny stub that is the PDK shifter.
The following 2 users liked this post by F250to911:
Dezeinstein (04-02-2024), Metalblond (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:20 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Originally Posted by F250to911
Really? Is this a serious post or sarcasm? Everyone in the Universe thinks that the manual shifter looks a lot more at home in the 992 cabin. Certainly it looks better than the teeny weeny stub that is the PDK shifter.
I was being serious. 918 bro, but to each, their own. Enjoy the long black shaft and **** sticking out of your console. 🤙

Quick Reply: Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!