Sponsored by:

Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 11:28 AM
MrOhnoez
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

My only suggestion, but purely subjective,
Go with brake calipers painted in gloss black.
No other red accents on the car to match the brakes, and the eyes are really drawn to them over the rest of the car imo.
The following users liked this post:
99too (02-25-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 12:06 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
A lot of people don't like the rear sport design bumper because it puts the license plate and cutout for it, too high on the bumper.
Agree and understand it. Buyer’s choice. But it is not just aesthetics. The sport design rear bumper is standard equipment on the GTS, GT3, and TTS for a technical reason. The venting of air across the intercoolers is improved. The plate holder is moved high on the sport design rear bumper to increase and channel more air flow across the intercoolers and directly out below which is important to some buyers but not worth it to others. How it looks v. What it does. Different decisions for different buyers.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:44 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
A lot of people don't like the rear sport design bumper because it puts the license plate and cutout for it, too high on the bumper.
And a lot of people love it because it corrects the overly bulbous standard rear facia.
Fullyield (02-17-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 03:44 PM
Dezeinstein
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all of your input. I've gone for the black calipers, and am keeping FAL and RAS.
Heading to the dealer soon to hear the Burmester in person to see if it's worth the upgrade for me.

The only thing I am on the fence with is, RS Spyder wheels vs Turbo wheels. I've never had a chance to see the Spyder wheels in person, and it seems like the finish on them might clash with the Arctic Grey.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:18 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezeinstein
Thanks for all of your input. I've gone for the black calipers, and am keeping FAL and RAS.
Heading to the dealer soon to hear the Burmester in person to see if it's worth the upgrade for me.

The only thing I am on the fence with is, RS Spyder wheels vs Turbo wheels. I've never had a chance to see the Spyder wheels in person, and it seems like the finish on them might clash with the Arctic Grey.
Turbo wheels look really classy on the Arctic Grey IMO.
Go Bruins (02-22-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 07:53 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

I think it's beyond obnoxious to come on here and ask all of you great folks to comment on people's 911 builds.

Having gotten that out of the way, have I gone overboard on my C2S build:

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRA5IVT5

My freeze date is 2/27, and when I started out the build I was at around $155k, now have creeped over $170k.
I don't really care about future resale, as I plan on keeping it for a while.
But seems like I'm getting close to GTS money here.
The only things I can probably lose are Rear Axle Steering and Front Axle lift, which saves almost $5k.
Want to keep the SportDesign front, as I think it looks better on lighter-colored cars.
And I've been wavering between Arctic Grey and Agate Grey.

This will be my first 911. Previously I had a 2013 Boxster, a 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C (which I daily drove for a year, despite being 6'4") and currently drive a 2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey, which is similar to Arctic Grey.

Thanks!
Great build! I would add sport tech roof lining and some sort of trim inlay--especially since the rest of the car is really luxe. I drive a manual transmission too- and I really like the real axle steering with it. I could live without the front axle lift, power steering plus and high gloss black window trim. I'm also building a C4S that will lock the end of the month- and I'm wavering on grays too--although leaning more towards agate--but I understand the quandry.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:35 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd really like to get those wheels, but they look like a complete misery to clean so I'll probably end up with something a little simpler.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:49 PM
Dezeinstein
Advanced

Thanks again for all of your input. Heading to the dealer tomorrow to finalize my build and listen to a Burmester to see if I want to spring for it.
This is where I landed (including Burmester):
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRNLUFX5

My one concern is the RS Spyder wheels color clashing with Arctic Grey.
Dealer has not had any cars in stock with these wheels, so I've never seem them in person.
I have seen some of you guys building this combo, but it's really tough to commit from photos or YouTube videos.

Might just go for the turbo wheels in the end.
Any thoughts on wheel color?

user 64927802 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks again for all of your input. Heading to the dealer tomorrow to finalize my build and listen to a Burmester to see if I want to spring for it.
This is where I landed (including Burmester):
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRNLUFX5

My one concern is the RS Spyder wheels color clashing with Arctic Grey.
Dealer has not had any cars in stock with these wheels, so I've never seem them in person.
I have seen some of you guys building this combo, but it's really tough to commit from photos or YouTube videos.

Might just go for the turbo wheels in the end.
Any thoughts on wheel color?
The RS spyder wheels look gunmetal in person and with ceramic coating, they look great. I'm not thinking they would clash with anything on your car.
The stereo is purely subjective. If you like listening to music that is bass heavy- then the Bose is the way to go. The Burmester is better for more complex music and music with more midrange.
Dezeinstein (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:58 PM
Dezeinstein
Advanced

Actually have the black calipers specced now - that shot was from an earlier build.
Bodibedo (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:28 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

My vote would be RS Spyder wheels but powdercoated in silver since I’m not digging the stock color with Arctic. Silver pops more and the Spyders look great in all silver, as there’s several guys in the Spyder wheels thread that have done his.

Also, the Bose is fine for most people in terms of audio quality but it fall all over itself at higher volumes (like at highway speeds) and becomes fatiguing. I haven’t found any serious listeners who felt like Burmester was worth the money. I would look at the Musicar upgrades for the base or Bose systems because it’s high quality and fully reversible.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:49 PM
Dezeinstein
Advanced

Well, with just a couple of days to spare before my freeze date, I landed on this:
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRCKKA97
Changed the color to Agate Grey - just wanted to go for a more subtle, elegant build.
Also added the Paldao wood to warm up the interior and add a retro look, which I think works with the Agate more than it would have with the Arctic Grey.
If I was 20 or 30 years younger, I'd go for Arctic or a brighter color.
Thanks again for all of your input!

Old 02-23-2024, 03:24 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 64 Posts

I prefer the calipers black like you have them in last pic.
Dezeinstein (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm on my second 992 S and your major option picks are close to what I did. Manual, full leather, glass sunroof and sport design front are awesome choices. But $170k for an S is a bit much.

Here are some items to reconsider:

Front end lift: unless you have a very steep driveway its really not needed. I spot entrances that are dicey and just go diagonally and have had zero scrapes.
Power steering plus is for grannies. Not needed.
Rear axle steering: Not needed. It reduces the turning radius by one single foot.
Tach and chrono in white: No! it makes them almost unreadable.

There, I saved you $5,990 that you will not miss.
Regarding the interior, I find the graphite gray boring and not the best choice for a sports car, especially a gray one.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:19 PM
js1ngh13
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

I had that same dilemma and after looking at a lot of pictures I stuck with the RS spyder wheels. Turbo wheels I feel take away from the car as that grabs your attention first - i believe a fellow rennlister said that and I agree.
Dezeinstein (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!