Sponsored by:

Sound Package Plus Base Stereo Upgrade on 911 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 12:00 AM
alex98ti
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I'm doing a Bose upgrade with George and Number 1 sound too!

Match Up 10 dsp will crush it.

On my Bose, I had them layer sound shield on my doors and upgrade speakers which made a huge difference. No rattle or vibrations. I have a Musicar amp/dsp on order for install by them.

I'm sure you will be back for speaker changes. Audison ap8 are a perfect fit and kick out some serious bass. I used focal bmw coaxial 100s for door mids as they need no adapter.

If u r a rocker...u don't need a sub but door treatments are essential.

George is a pleaser...so get ready!
is your car the beautiful black 992 Turbo? George told me about upgrading your Bose system.

Yes, George is awesome. He doesn't rush anything.

He is still working on the car. He installed the amplifier in the passenger footwell by cutting the styrofoam and placing it nicely without creating any humps under the carpet. He also added the center speaker wiring in case I wanted to add it later. I might actually add it now since the hardest part is done.

You are right I have a feeling I will go back soon for sound shield and speaker upgrade. Throw in a sub and I will be set but for now not ready to spend that much.

Excited to see the end result of Stage 1 upgrade tomorrow. Will update the post with my feedback.

The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (02-13-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:10 AM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Play with your Bass and Treble settings and see if that helps. I leave my Bass at 6 and treble even. Another tip I picked up is to set the balance towards the front bias. Rear speakers are small and largely for some fill. This helped with my setup. Another option is play around with equalizer settings on your phone for content streamed from there. On my iPhone, I can dramatically hear the difference between different equalizer presets, and I prefer the bass heavy ones.
With the base stereo, equalizer settings on the phone is the way to go to improve the sound. Makes a huge difference.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:35 AM
alex98ti
Instructor

Stereo upgrade is finally completed after 3 days.
The completion of the Stage 1 upgrade on my 992's base stereo system has been nothing short of transformative.

Previously, I had to max out the volume at 30 to achieve a satisfactory sound level, but now, setting it to 18 delivers the same volume with enhanced clarity, brightness, and bass. Pushing the volume to its maximum makes me feel like my ears might burst.

The addition of the UP 10 DSP amplifier has dramatically enhanced the audio experience.
​​​​​​
Kudos to George and his team for their expert installation. They skillfully integrated the amplifier into the passenger footwell, cutting the styrofoam and concealing it OEM style. The flexible adjustments made with the DSP software have significantly improved the sound quality, resulting in a stark contrast between before and after.

This amplifier has truly unleashed the potential of the speakers, which were previously constrained by the factory stereo system.

Having owned a 981 with Bose audio, I can confidently say this upgrade surpasses it by leaps and bounds. This upgrade elevates the stereo's performance beyond Bose, basically placing it between Bose and Burmester. It's been an entirely worthwhile investment.

For the next phase, I'm considering further enhancements like sound deadening, speaker upgrades, and adding a center speaker.
some pictures from the installation. Let me know if you have any questions 😊
​​​​​​​

The following 6 users liked this post by alex98ti:
gellie (02-11-2024), Jeff Whitten (02-11-2024), mcacs1 (02-11-2024), Pad Bender (02-13-2024), tourenwagen (02-22-2024), VarTheVar (02-11-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2024, 08:09 AM
mcacs1
Instructor

Very glad that you are satisfied. So I take it that the base speakers don't suck at all. How surprising is that? Everyone complains how cheaply made they are. Mind you, woofer paper cones have been used for decades and some very nice speakers were made with such.

I'm looking at limiting my upgrade costs to the value of the factory Bose option, but if the sound is superior to Bose, I might get tempted by your solution!

Any concern about straining/damaging the base woofers at higher volume? I'm not a high volume freak.

How complicated was it to connect the amp to the speakers? Did the install require long runs of new wires? Did many panels have to be removed?

Finally, would you mind sharing the total cost? You can PM me if you prefer. I wonder if your installer could recommend a good installer in Montreal.

Last edited by mcacs1; 02-11-2024 at 08:45 AM.
gellie (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 11:44 AM
alex98ti
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcacs1
Very glad that you are satisfied. So I take it that the base speakers don't suck at all. How surprising is that? Everyone complains how cheaply made they are. Mind you, woofer paper cones have been used for decades and some very nice speakers were made with such.

I'm looking at limiting my upgrade costs to the value of the factory Bose option, but if the sound is superior to Bose, I might get tempted by your solution!

Any concern about straining/damaging the base woofers at higher volume? I'm not a high volume freak.

How complicated was it to connect the amp to the speakers? Did the install require long runs of new wires? Did many panels have to be removed?

Finally, would you mind sharing the total cost? You can PM me if you prefer. I wonder if your installer could recommend a good installer in Montreal.

Yes, the audio upgrade has markedly enhanced the listening experience in my vehicle. Following a two-hour drive last night, I was amazed by the improved clarity and richness of the sound across all music genres, regardless of the volume level.

The factory speakers exceeded my expectations with their capacity to deliver high volumes without any distortion or rattling—proving themselves more than capable of handling intense audio without compromising quality. This shows their remarkable design, capable of pushing the limits of sound intensity without faltering, even to those who like their music at lower volumes.

The installation process extended over three days, primarily because the team, led by George, was more accustomed to working with Bose systems and needed additional time to familiarize themselves with the base system's wiring diagram. Despite the complexity of adapting to a new system, I had full confidence in George and his crew's ability to navigate the challenge. Their meticulous work involved running new wires, including an extra one for a potential future addition of a center speaker, which was absent initially. This required lifting the passenger footwell carpet and removing several panels to facilitate the installation, all of which were meticulously placed back in, leaving no gaps or causing any rattling noises during drives.

The total investment for both parts and labor amounted to $3200 CAD (approximately $2300 USD), reflecting the quality of the work and the components used.

For those in the Montreal area looking for a reliable installer, I highly recommend contacting George. His extensive network and knowledge within the audio installation industry in both the US and Canada make him an great resource.

I hope this information proves useful and guides you towards achieving an amazing audio experience in your vehicle.

​​​​​​​
The following 4 users liked this post by alex98ti:
gellie (02-11-2024), Jeff Whitten (02-11-2024), mcacs1 (02-11-2024), Pad Bender (02-13-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 01:38 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Thank you!
alex98ti (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 01:47 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by alex98ti
Yes, the audio upgrade has markedly enhanced the listening experience in my vehicle. Following a two-hour drive last night, I was amazed by the improved clarity and richness of the sound across all music genres, regardless of the volume level.

The factory speakers exceeded my expectations with their capacity to deliver high volumes without any distortion or rattling—proving themselves more than capable of handling intense audio without compromising quality. This shows their remarkable design, capable of pushing the limits of sound intensity without faltering, even to those who like their music at lower volumes.

The installation process extended over three days, primarily because the team, led by George, was more accustomed to working with Bose systems and needed additional time to familiarize themselves with the base system's wiring diagram. Despite the complexity of adapting to a new system, I had full confidence in George and his crew's ability to navigate the challenge. Their meticulous work involved running new wires, including an extra one for a potential future addition of a center speaker, which was absent initially. This required lifting the passenger footwell carpet and removing several panels to facilitate the installation, all of which were meticulously placed back in, leaving no gaps or causing any rattling noises during drives.

The total investment for both parts and labor amounted to $3200 CAD (approximately $2300 USD), reflecting the quality of the work and the components used.

For those in the Montreal area looking for a reliable installer, I highly recommend contacting George. His extensive network and knowledge within the audio installation industry in both the US and Canada make him an great resource.

I hope this information proves useful and guides you towards achieving an amazing audio experience in your vehicle.

Combination of more clean power and DSP to customize sound mix are where your improvements came from. DSP and tweaking the sound profile by the shop, and being able to adjust it to the customer preference are big wins. If you upgrade speakers later, it will come alive even more.

My setup with Mosconi amps and DSP, and I did a full compliment of Focal speakers. Working on custom subs now for phase 2.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
alex98ti (02-11-2024), AlterZgo (02-22-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:18 PM
alex98ti
Instructor

Combination of more clean power and DSP to customize sound mix are where your improvements came from. DSP and tweaking the sound profile by the shop, and being able to adjust it to the customer preference are big wins. If you upgrade speakers later, it will come alive even more.

My setup with Mosconi amps and DSP, and I did a full compliment of Focal speakers. Working on custom subs now for phase 2.

This setup looks amazing. I guess they removed the entire stryophone to fit three devices. I bet it sounds amazing now. Few questions for my next stage upgrade: What Focal speakers did you use? Did you change all including the rear ones? Also how about the center speaker? Any sound deadening?
Old 02-12-2024, 02:28 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by alex98ti
This setup looks amazing. I guess they removed the entire stryophone to fit three devices. I bet it sounds amazing now. Few questions for my next stage upgrade: What Focal speakers did you use? Did you change all including the rear ones? Also how about the center speaker? Any sound deadening?
Thanks! Yes sounds really good. Custom subwoofer setup will fill in the gaps. More on that later once I get it completed. PM you my details. Don’t want to hijack this thread. 😊

alex98ti (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 09:16 AM
alex98ti
Instructor

Thanks! Yes sounds really good. Custom subwoofer setup will fill in the gaps. More on that later once I get it completed. PM you my details. Don’t want to hijack this thread. 😊
Thank you 😊
Well received!
Jeff Whitten (02-12-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 06:42 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I'm doing a sound upgrade with George and Number 1 sound too!

Match Up 10 dsp will crush it.

On my Bose, I had them layer sound shield on my doors and upgrade speakers which made a huge difference. No rattle or vibrations. I have a Musicar amp/dsp on order for install by them.

I'm sure you will be back for speaker changes. Audison ap8 are a perfect fit and kick out some serious bass. I used focal bmw coaxial 100s for door mids as they need no adapter.

If u r a rocker...u don't need a sub but door treatments are essential.

George is a pleaser...so get ready!

Do you happen to know if the mid speaker mounting for Bose vs base is the same? Wondering if those Focals will fit in the base system. Also are you running 2 sets of tweeters now? The original tweeters plus those 2-ways?
alex98ti (02-22-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 07:09 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

So here's what I've planned out. I think I want to try and do the install and tuning myself. My main problem is finding someone who can make me some speaker rings. There's a company in the UK that makes them for these specific Audison components and the 992, so I'll reach out and see if they'll sell me a set. Otherwise will have to find someone that will make me some or maybe pay someone to 3d print them for me.

Here's my tentative parts list:

Audison Forza 8 channel DSP Amp - https://audison.com/product/af-m8-14-bit/

Audison Ap1, Ap4, and Ap8 - https://audison.com/product/ap-1/ https://audison.com/product/ap-4/ https://audison.com/product/ap-8/

I want to use this harness - https://soundtech.shopping/en-global...tch-pp-vag-2-6 - that's meant for the Match UP7, but I'd chop off the Match UP7 specific input/ouput harnesses, and solder in the Audison's input/ouput harness. The important part of this harness is it runs inline with the factory head unit with the Quadlock connectors so you don't have to molest your stock harness at all and you don't really have to build a full custom one either. Just solder some leads and you're done

With this setup I'll have 2 extra channels leftover if I decide I want subwoofers, which I probably won't need. But in that case I've been eyeballing these Focals - https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...ures/isub-twin

Additionally I'd want to run some serious sound deadening in the doors. I was thinking full treatment for inner and outer door skin, single layer.

Mic for tuning - https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...hoCiXAQAvD_BwE

I already have a fuse block and power cable that were donated to me. I may need some speaker gasket tape and some other odds and ends but I think this covers most of it. Total cost for all the main parts comes out to about $2700 without the Focal subwoofers. I'm not quite sure where I'd mount the amp, (maybe under passenger seat?) or if the Audison tweeters are a pain in the *** to install.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 02-19-2024 at 07:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by VarTheVar:
alex98ti (02-22-2024), arrivederci (02-20-2024), Kevin_ (02-19-2024), Pad Bender (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:43 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Here are some interesting videos on adding sound deadening to the doors of a 992. Their kit for 911s is around $1100 which I don't wanna spend. But it's good to learn the concepts

alex98ti (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 08:07 AM
alex98ti
Instructor

And here is a very good video on swapping out the speakers.

Go Bruins (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:38 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Do you happen to know if the mid speaker mounting for Bose vs base is the same? Wondering if those Focals will fit in the base system. Also are you running 2 sets of tweeters now? The original tweeters plus those 2-ways?
yes...I have dynaudio tweeters up front (adapters and wiring from Rennline when they were still in business) and Focal coaxials in the door with the Audison AP 8s.

I run fade +2 to front which takes advantage of this speaker setup. Sounds much fuller as front tweets fire up rather than from the A-pillar in most high fidelity systems.

The rear tweeters and mids are useless and just for fill.

Just dropped off at Number 1 sound for the Match 10 up amp install...cant wait.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 02-22-2024 at 11:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
alex98ti (02-22-2024), VarTheVar (02-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Sound Package Plus Base Stereo Upgrade on 911 992