Sponsored by:

992GTS Build Critique

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 12:54 PM
Vasc90
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 992GTS Build Critique

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, I just got an allocation for a 992 GTS. Here's the build code: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRXK65L0

This will be my first p car and would love any feedback. I'm not too concerned about price and just want to get the best build for a daily driver. I don't really plan to track the car and don't think the PCCBs or aero kit will be necessary. Just wondering if you guys think? Is there anything I'm missing or do I have anything that's a waste? Any help is welcome and appreciated, Thanks!
Old 01-28-2024, 01:43 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 383 Posts

Lot's to read here on PDCC, but It's an easy delete on your build for me particularly given you dont plan to track. Some claim improved ride on the road, but my non-PDCC GTS rides great to beging with if pressures are properly set.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
Scott P (01-29-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 02:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Lot's to read here on PDCC, but It's an easy delete on your build for me particularly given you dont plan to track. Some claim improved ride on the road, but my non-PDCC GTS rides great to beging with if pressures are properly set.
Agree

But would also get rid of every thing in high gloss black. You have the wheels in Satin so no need to go high gloss with every thing else. Plus- then open yourself up to the high gloss paint in those exposed area getting scratches ect

If i were to order again I probably would not get the Rear wheel steering. I think you only really notice it in tight parking spaces but I would not throw my money at that again.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
doug_999 (01-29-2024), Scott P (01-29-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 02:48 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

This is a classic newbie kitchen sink build. After you own a couple of them, your option lists with get shorter and have just the stuff that you care about.
  • Ditch the PDCC. Extra weight and complexity. Great for SUVs, but a 911 doesn't need it.
  • Agreed that rear wheel steering isn't a must have. The S/T doesn't have it. GT3 Cup cars don't have it. You gain some maneuverability in close quarters in exchange for losing some rear end feel -- safe to skip.
  • Unless you've got something against 3 pedals, I would consider going with the 7 speed manual. Porsche's manual is easy as it gets.
  • If you insist on PDK, you can save yourself a grand by going with ACC versus the Innodrive/lane keep combination. I'm non-plussed by Porsche Innodrive and their ACC is excellent
  • You've really nickel and dimed your way up to $192k with a lot of aesthetics in this build. When it comes to trade-in or selling it the future, it's a lot of dollars that you won't see back. It's your build and taste, but that's a lot of padding.
The following 8 users liked this post by detansinn:
catdog2 (01-29-2024), doug_999 (01-29-2024), Nhat_911_GTS (01-29-2024), Scott P (01-29-2024), shrimp money (01-28-2024), user 64927802 (01-29-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024), zscaler (01-29-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2024, 05:42 PM
CayenneOwner1
6th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gone through your list. Here's everything I personally would remove.
1. Leather interior in graphite blue- (Have you ever seen blue in person? It always felt dated to me). The basic interior is already super nice
2. Window trim in high gloss black- (this is 500 for something you will never notice)
3. Exterior in high gloss- (I've had a car with it and a car without it, and it never made a difference to my perception. If anything, you're gonna get rock chips on these areas unless you PPF)
4. PDCC- (others have already discussed. Not necessary)
5. Front axle lift- (I'll leave this up to you. I have a base 992 and have never scrapped on anything. It clears everything just fine, just go at an angle like you should anyways. But I think you GTS is a bit lower than a base.)
6. Rear axle steering- (Great on an S-Class, not needed much here)
7. Deviated Stitching and 930 leather package (Again, you have about $10,000 in interior upgrades. You don't get this back at resale, and it's mostly for your vanity. The adaptive sport seat plus is your MUST, and they are already a nice upgrade and a comfy seat. Once you physically have the car, you're gonna love it, and won't miss deviated leather stitching.)
8. ACC and ALK (Great for a daily Cayenne, but less useful on a 911)
9. Ionizer (I feel like the air filtration is already going to be excellent on a 150k car)

I got your price down $26,000 by taking away all that stuff, for what is essentially still the same car. $26,000 + tax + interest (if financing) = potentially around $31,000 savings.

Last edited by CayenneOwner1; 01-28-2024 at 05:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CayenneOwner1:
doug_999 (01-29-2024), shindrome (01-29-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024), zscaler (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 11:32 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 345 Likes on 205 Posts

Grey on greyish blue? your choice There's a place for deviated stitching and a monochrome interior is a good place for it
Front Axle Lift a function of where you drive and what you encounter. I have it and its essential some places
PDCC overkill unless you plan to track, if most of your driving is abominable roads, you might consider the straight PASM (this is heresy to devout GTS fans)
RAS really nice low speed, not essential high speed unless you're going REALLY fast it's subtle.
I don't think high gloss black goes with the GTS trim ... one man's opinion ... but a lot of money spent
Consider doing the lower door in leather (about 2K), something you'll notice more than other goo-gah interior upgrades (I think Porsche crests are kind of silly given everybody, especially you, knows it's a Porsche ... again, one man's opinion)
Give the standard center lock wheels some thought. They're lighter and great, but servicing them requires special tools that most tire shops don't have and you may not want to procure. If your dealer is close at hand, no big deal.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:39 PM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

This is what you get when you ask for a critique 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by silverscooby27:
TheGeneral (01-30-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 11:58 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Not the most common spec, but if you love it, get it. One comment is they offer a graphite blue interior with chalk stitching for the same price as the graphite blue interior, you don't need deviated stitching (the only thing it adds if I'm remembering right is steering wheel stitch in chalk), that saves you $4k.

PDCC is controversial, some say it makes the car feel synthetic. I would test drive w/ PDCC if you can.

Porsche active lane keep is not a well implemented system. I would just go with just ACC if you want it.

I disagree and think high gloss black goes with GTS well, you just need to make sure to do high gloss black *everywhere*.

One comment above -- the standard interior is not that nice, imo. For a six-figure car, it's pretty terrible. The plastic dashboard isn't a particularly soft-touch material, and there are nicer interiors in $50k Kia's. I can't understand getting a standard interior unless it's a real budget constraint, or it's a dedicated track car.

930 package is one of the best aesthetic packages you can get, imo, but it's up to personal taste.

Last edited by whatsshakin; 01-29-2024 at 12:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whatsshakin:
shindrome (01-29-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:57 AM
Vasc90
5th Gear

Thanks so much for all the input, I got rid of the high gloss black package, and am going to get rid of the PDCC and Innodrive and just keep the ACC. I'm going to be pulling into a tight garage every day so want to keep the RAS, it doesnt add much to the overall cost. I really liked the graphite blue interior, but have been thinking of going to the GTS interior package. I've just heard mixed reviews about the race-tex durability as a daily driver. I really appreciate all the help and feedback!
Old 01-29-2024, 09:59 AM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasc90
Thanks so much for all the input, I got rid of the high gloss black package, and am going to get rid of the PDCC and Innodrive and just keep the ACC. I'm going to be pulling into a tight garage every day so want to keep the RAS, it doesnt add much to the overall cost. I really liked the graphite blue interior, but have been thinking of going to the GTS interior package. I've just heard mixed reviews about the race-tex durability as a daily driver. I really appreciate all the help and feedback!
all reasonable decisions. If you liked the graphite blue in person, get the graphite blue - it’ll make the car not the same as a thousand other arctic grey GTS.
The following users liked this post:
Vasc90 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 11:07 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,442 Likes on 698 Posts

If you like to listen to music when you drive, get the Burmester-it is noticeable better than the Bose. Is it worth the difference? Well if you don't care about the price and want the best then it is worth getting.
The following 5 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
doug_999 (01-29-2024), TheGeneral (01-30-2024), txpackers (01-30-2024), Vasc90 (01-29-2024), yronzff (02-15-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 08:19 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

So many great comments above. I’ve liked the ones that made sense to me.

and I’ll add,
FAL (front axle lift) is location dependent. California it is a must, Illinois not required. Don’t know where you live.

Burmester. You like listening to Sirius? Skip it. You are a crazy audiophile? Get the Bose and the Musicar upgrade. You like your music to sound good and don’t want to do an aftermarket upgrade? Get the Burm. (I have it and like is so much more than the Bose.)
Vasc90 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 08:52 PM
Vasc90
5th Gear

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input and have cut a bunch of the fluff. I was considering the Burmester but just heard it wasn't that great, I figured if I was unhappy with the Bose I could just upgrade it after to something great. Ill be in SC and hear the roads are terrible so I figured it was better to have the FAL just in case I need it. Open to any interior suggestions, I thought the graphite looked nice with the arctic grey but was considering the slate and chalk as well with deviated slate centers
Old 01-29-2024, 09:35 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Graphite Blue will look good with the Arctic Gray. I have a Dolomite Silver exterior with the Graphite Blue interior. Dolomite Silver will be a touch darker and have a slight bluish tint versus Artic Gray, however, the contrast is so mild and just enough to elicit a "hey, that isn't black or gray interior, I like it" response most times. Definitely go check it out if you can.

RAS is kinda cool, despite not really needed, however, I do like mine.
I agree with dumping a ton of the leather goodies, the leather interior (full package) is enough to have the touch points and big sight items leather and look on point.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:45 PM
Vinscap
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2024 Chalk GTS with MSRP of $182K. It has everything I would want including leather 18 ways and FAL. I can park it just fine in tight spaces and don’t see where RAS would change that much. I also have Bose and it is fine for background music. I really like listening to the exhaust sounds much more. That being said, get what you want and can comfortably afford and enjoy the hell out of it!
Vasc90 (01-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 992GTS Build Critique