Sponsored by:

Air Recirculation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 06:51 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Air Recirculation Question

Would someone with a 992.1 please let me know if the air vent automatically opens after a few minutes?

I don’t like it when the air-recirc automatically switches off in some cars and lets the outside smog and pollution into the cabin. (Filters only help so much).

Is turning on/off the air-recirc a pain in the PCM, or is it easily accessible?

I was wondering what I should expect when my 992 arrives?
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (01-05-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 12:10 AM
shindrome
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah as far as I can tell there's no way to keep the recirculation funciton on. I too have to manually select it for every drive. If the option is left on auto does anyone know if it will recirculate when AC is on vs opening the vents when the heater is on?
Old 01-06-2024, 06:37 AM
pcolony
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I ended up mapping the steering wheel function button to air recirculation. I want it on every time I drive, and that's much quicker than going into the PCM every time the car starts up and enabling recirculation.
PSPorsche (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 08:22 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

The reason the recirc function automatically shuts off after a period is to avoid fogging and condensation build up on the insides of the vehicle windows. If you left it in recirc mode all the time the windows will fog up possibly impairing vision and causing a crash. Every vehicle I’ve owned operates in this manner. I’ve never owned a vehicle of any brand that didn’t automatically revert to external air after some period of time or upon start up.
HOTCHKIS (01-27-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 09:03 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
The reason the recirc function automatically shuts off after a period is to avoid fogging and condensation build up on the insides of the vehicle windows. If you left it in recirc mode all the time the windows will fog up possibly impairing vision and causing a crash. Every vehicle I’ve owned operates in this manner. I’ve never owned a vehicle of any brand that didn’t automatically revert to external air after some period of time or upon start up.
My 2017 Honda Fit, which costs less than a set of GT3 RS magnesium wheels, doesn't change recirc mode. In fact, it's a mechanical left/right switch. I wish other cars wouldn't turn off recirc mode automatically.
PSPorsche (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 09:05 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Originally Posted by rdv
I keep the AC (and heat) on in the winter. The AC dehumidifies the air, and the heater warms it.

I actually learned this trick from my 997… The 997 has an “AC OFF” button, instead of an “AC ON” button like other cars. When the “AC OFF” button is pressed, a light on the button turns on to warn you that the AC is not running. Unless you press this button, the AC runs all year, even when you restart the car.

Additionally, the recirc button in the 997, once pressed after starting the car, stays on.

I find this to be a more comfortable setup, but I’m sure designing the AC system to run continuously uses enough fuel to impact manufacturer EPA targets, so I suspect this is the real reason the recirc automatically turns off.

Last edited by PSPorsche; 01-06-2024 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:10 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Does the A/C actually run in the winter when you're calling for heated air? I've always assumed it works like an auto setting, where the condenser runs if needed and turns off otherwise. My guess would be that it turns off when calling for heat unless you're using the defogger.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:23 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

It actually does run, based on my experience.
If I press the “AC OFF” button, then my windows fog up in a few seconds in the winter. You can see the snowflake ❄️ icon on the display indicating that the compressor is running.

Quick Reply: Air Recirculation Question