Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you track your 992?
I never take my car to the track
52.47%
I track my car occasionally 1-2 times a year
25.93%
I frequent the track regularly at least 3X a year
21.60%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Do you track your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 10:50 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
Were you there with the Genesee Valley BMW group?
Yes indeed, with GVC Sep 29th to Oct 1st.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (12-12-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 07:54 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeA
I love this - hitting all the beautiful tracks in California!

What wheel and tire package are you on?
I just swapped out the Oz 19/20’s shown in the pics for Apex VS-5RS. These are forged, light and can fit a wider range of tires.
I’ve run many different tires on this car in the last two years. The fastest is the Goodyear 3R. It’s a fantastic track tire, but availability has been an issue and they’re pricy since they’re only are good for two days. The Goodyear SuperSport R (OEM tire for GT3) is also very good on stock wheels but not in the same class as the 3R. But I think my new go to tire will be the new Nankang CR-S. This tire has good grip and doesn’t fall off as much as others and they’re available in 265/325 19/20” sizes at a good price.

rickawd (12-13-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 08:16 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

For me, track days are more about keeping my road skills and reflexes sharp, and as a reminder of where the limits of the car are. IOW, I find tracking the car makes me a better road driver, not because I'm racing on the road, but because I better understand the performance envelope of the car. Highly recommend for all - for me it's the single best performance 'modification' out there.
The following 4 users liked this post by jlegelis:
Just J (12-12-2023), Pivot (12-11-2023), Yojeffo (12-12-2023), zyster (12-15-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:03 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

@Bluehighways 100%. Well said.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:48 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

One note: track driving doesn't have to mean 'racing'. PCA DE events are among the most well run events of this type I've attended.. For complete novices there is a world of learning to be had in instructor-coached green/yellow groups. Even if you have zero interest in racing, your car control skills will dramatically improve by attending one of these events. Also not to be missed are autocross events that will also build 'seat time'. In the words of Magnus Walker, "Get out and drive!"
Just J (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 10:26 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
One note: track driving doesn't have to mean 'racing'. PCA DE events are among the most well run events of this type I've attended.. For complete novices there is a world of learning to be had in instructor-coached green/yellow groups. Even if you have zero interest in racing, your car control skills will dramatically improve by attending one of these events. Also not to be missed are autocross events that will also build 'seat time'. In the words of Magnus Walker, "Get out and drive!"
I highly recommend that all drivers attend some kind of HPDE class. Doesn't have to be a Porsche class - back in the day I used to drive at and/or staff BMW events and they are very good as well.

Autocross can be fun, and is likely less risky due to the lower speeds and the fact that the thing you're most likely to hit is a cone, but the seat time over the course of a day is extremely limited. HPDE events can provide a ton more seat time in a day, along with in-car and classroom instruction.
jlegelis (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 12:01 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
I highly recommend that all drivers attend some kind of HPDE class. Doesn't have to be a Porsche class - back in the day I used to drive at and/or staff BMW events and they are very good as well.

Autocross can be fun, and is likely less risky due to the lower speeds and the fact that the thing you're most likely to hit is a cone, but the seat time over the course of a day is extremely limited. HPDE events can provide a ton more seat time in a day, along with in-car and classroom instruction.
Fully agree with this suggestion……...so long as we all remember that your regular car insurance policy will not differentiate between competitive racing, HPDE, Chin, or AutoX and will deny coverage for any personal injury or property damage. Track events are not covered. So, knowingly accept the risk that some other reckless fool just might damage you or your car (think inexperienced teenager in Daddy’s GT4 who has no insurance coverage either BTW) or consider purchasing a track policy or dedicated track car like an old Boxster or Miata. It is an individual decision based on risk tolerance. Just saying……

Last edited by Fullyield; 12-12-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:25 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Fully agree with this suggestion……...so long as we all remember that your regular car insurance policy will not differentiate between competitive racing, HPDE, Chin, or AutoX and will deny coverage for any personal injury or property damage. Track events are not covered. So, knowingly accept the risk that some other reckless fool just might damage you or your car (think inexperienced teenager in Daddy’s GT4 who has no insurance coverage either BTW) or consider purchasing a track policy or dedicated track car like an old Boxster or Miata. It is an individual decision based on risk tolerance. Just saying……
If it is a driver's education course on track with instructors, and not a timed event or racing, you most likely will be covered, at least here in Canada, already proven in the courts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...the-track.html

Or you could just do the Porsche Courses/Driver's events, they supply the cars (Carrera S, Turbo and GT3s) and it's a $6000 deductible if you total their car.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:11 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
If it is a driver's education course on track with instructors, and not a timed event or racing, you most likely will be covered, at least here in Canada, already proven in the courts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...the-track.html

Or you could just do the Porsche Courses/Driver's events, they supply the cars (Carrera S, Turbo and GT3s) and it's a $6000 deductible if you total their car.
Well, you should check the specific language of your policy. That 2011 decision you cite used very specific language stating that the exclusion applied to cars involved in racing. Drivers education is not racing so that makes sense. But the insurance industry was also aware of this case. Most auto liability carriers now the exclude not only include racing and timed events anywhere but also include any event at a racing or racing track facility. Checking the exact language of your policy is the prudent course.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:18 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

>> Checking the exact language of your policy is the prudent course.
For that reason, most DE events offer the option of add on 'track insurance'. It ain't cheap, but it's an option for those that want the peace of mind...
Old 12-12-2023, 01:21 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Having checked with an attorney out of curiosity (not my attorney, nor related to an actual case): at 992 replacement money, for me at least, the bar is higher than "I read my policy and I don't think HPDEs are excluded". Get it explicitly in writing from your insurer. Or at least get an attorney, ensure they agree with your interpretation / would take the case, and talk through the actual implications of a claim in this situation. Because in all likelihood you will end up suing your insurance company, who probably have an army of lawyers ready to show how their policy language does exclude HPDEs even if you don't think it does, and you'll end up paying both for the damage and for your attorney's time when you lose.
Fullyield (12-13-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 02:20 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Yes indeed, with GVC Sep 29th to Oct 1st.
One of the guys in that car club named "Jesse," owns "Send It Sim Racing" a well-equipped sim racing joint just north of Buffalo. Jesse drives a blue late model M4 that is gorgeous. I was at the Glen the Monday before you got there but had to leave that night bc my driver's side glass spontaneously cracked AGAIN!

CanAutM3 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 07:31 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeA
I love this - hitting all the beautiful tracks in California!

What wheel and tire package are you on?
Hit California Speedway now before it gets demolished and replaced by a smaller track.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:37 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
Hit California Speedway now before it gets demolished and replaced by a smaller track.
Unfortunately DE days are no more, Auto Club Speedway was closed a year ago and they sold off the surrounding land for $543 million. It was a unique experience where you could not only experience high speeds down the front straight but also on the bank turn pulling high G’s. On a typical weekend there would be cars going around the Roval, Autocross, Go Kart, and RC tracks at the same time.

Quick Reply: Do you track your car?