Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to connect battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 09:16 PM
firstcar2020
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question for the people here. Does it matter which thread I connect the positive pigtail to? I've seen pictures on the forum of people connecting to option 1 as well as option 2 in the image below. Option 2 was easier for me since there was already a nut there that I can use to secure the cable. Wanted to confirm if this approach will lead to issues down the road?

Thanks!

Last edited by firstcar2020; 03-10-2024 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:40 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 369 Posts

check out my thread here:

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1400...connector.html

cool magnetic connector in front wheelwell . . .
Old 03-14-2024, 06:00 AM
kentv
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted
Old 03-14-2024, 01:18 PM
piblondin
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
FWIW, i am having zero issues connecting the charger into the passenger footwell socket on my 24
Do you plug it in with the car on as noted in one of the posts above or not necessary?
Old 03-14-2024, 01:50 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by piblondin
Do you plug it in with the car on as noted in one of the posts above or not necessary?
I had no issues for 2 months of plug in use through the socket. I would toggle just the carl electronics car on/off , while the charger was (Noco Genius 5) plugged in.
It's tricky the way the the car adapter port works. I actually sent a PCNA message to make that an option in the PCM. There are so many other useless things in there, but we can't configure the outlet to be always on after turning off the car.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:08 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by firstcar2020
Quick question for the people here. Does it matter which thread I connect the positive pigtail to? I've seen pictures on the forum of people connecting to option 1 as well as option 2 in the image below. Option 2 was easier for me since there was already a nut there that I can use to secure the cable. Wanted to confirm if this approach will lead to issues down the road?

Thanks!
Either Option will work. My recommendation is Option #1 in your picture. Just buy a Stainless Steel Nut at your local Hardware Store that fits the threaded stud. It will be a Metric Size, like a M10, etc.

The Nut on Option 2 in your picture may not come all the way off by design, yet you will need to try it. Here is a picture of my 991.2, using the threaded stud similar to what you call Option 1.

Batter Tender Cable Connections Direct to Battery.

The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 06:18 PM
kentv
Track Day

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
My CTEK pigtail set-up on my 2023 GT3.

Negative lead goes to a bolt on the strut tower.
Went with the inline fuse piglet (that happens to be a touch longer) from CTEK. . . .
Good suggestion. This is exactly what I did. So simple. Works perfect. Took ten minutes, if that. My CTEK eyelets were already the correct size.
9ElevenFan (03-21-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 03:28 AM
piblondin
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
I had no issues for 2 months of plug in use through the socket. I would toggle just the carl electronics car on/off , while the charger was (Noco Genius 5) plugged in.
It's tricky the way the the car adapter port works. I actually sent a PCNA message to make that an option in the PCM. There are so many other useless things in there, but we can't configure the outlet to be always on after turning off the car.
So, basically, plug in charger, turn on dash, turn off dash, let it charge?
Old 03-16-2024, 10:26 AM
Shambler
Racer

Yes, I think that was it. Having the charger plugged into the wall outlet and the key power outlet and charging, then I would just toggle the electronics/ignition on/off.
I would let PCM boot up.

I think that was the procedure. I should've written it down.

I should add. You check about 30 minutes later and see the charger is has gone off.
piblondin (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 10:50 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,388 Likes on 669 Posts

Missing one important step-lock car. If you don't, the charger will go off in 30 minutes-that is what happened when I did not lock the car as the last step. Don't just turn ignition on and off must wait at least 1 minute.

Plug into footwell
turn on ignition and wait 1 minute or so then
plug charger into wall socket and make sure green lite in on
turn off accessories
Lock the car!!!!

This is what I do for my CTEK charger.

Last edited by Staffie Guy; 03-16-2024 at 10:51 AM.
piblondin (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Shambler
Racer

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Missing one important step-lock car. If you don't, the charger will go off in 30 minutes-that is what happened when I did not lock the car as the last step. Don't just turn ignition on and off must wait at least 1 minute.

Plug into footwell
turn on ignition and wait 1 minute or so then
plug charger into wall socket and make sure green lite in on
turn off accessories
Lock the car!!!!

This is what I do for my CTEK charger.
Yes. Locking is an important step.

piblondin (03-16-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:39 PM
kentv
Track Day

Originally Posted by kentv
Good suggestion. This is exactly what I did. So simple. Works perfect. Took ten minutes, if that. My CTEK eyelets were already the correct size.
Is there any risk in keeping a battery tender connected virtually anytime the car is going to be sitting for more than three days? In other words, is there an overcharge or related risk?
Old 03-21-2024, 05:46 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by kentv
Is there any risk in keeping a battery tender connected virtually anytime the car is going to be sitting for more than three days? In other words, is there an overcharge or related risk?
That was only an issue with old trickle chargers. Modern intelligent battery maintainers like CTEK, NOCO, and Porsche rebranded CTEK units got into float mode so there is no such thing as overcharging.
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
nyca (03-21-2024), vg247 (03-21-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 03:49 PM
gsk326
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no problems with my CTEK 7002 charger until this morning. My set up is in my December 2023 post in this thread. I waxed the Porsche today and when I reconnected the tender I noticed it was clicking; never heart that before. I checked my connections to the battery and everything looks good. The cable that connects to the battery has a light flashing green the way it is suppose to.

I tried another of my tenders and get the same clicking. The tender goes through the different lights on the tender but so far has not gotten all the way to the final light where it is suppose to turn green. That usually takes at least an hour.

My only guess is there is something wrong with the Porsche battery. Even though I only have 4000 miles on the car, it is a 2020 and I live in Arizona where batteries do not last as long as other parts of the US.

I do not have a voltage meter to check the battery; I guess I can go buy one this afternoon.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:16 PM
Porsche 505
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gsk326
I had no problems with my CTEK 7002 charger until this morning. My set up is in my December 2023 post in this thread. I waxed the Porsche today and when I reconnected the tender I noticed it was clicking; never heart that before. I checked my connections to the battery and everything looks good. The cable that connects to the battery has a light flashing green the way it is suppose to.

I tried another of my tenders and get the same clicking. The tender goes through the different lights on the tender but so far has not gotten all the way to the final light where it is suppose to turn green. That usually takes at least an hour.

My only guess is there is something wrong with the Porsche battery. Even though I only have 4000 miles on the car, it is a 2020 and I live in Arizona where batteries do not last as long as other parts of the US.

I do not have a voltage meter to check the battery; I guess I can go buy one this afternoon.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
My 7002 does the clicking as well. It’s always periodically done it. I assume it does it when it’s in float mode. Had it on 24/7 for months on my air cooled cars during the summer. Used that 7002 for 6+ years. My lithium-ion CTek is quiet as a mouse.

You can always turn the ignition on without starting the engine and read your voltage display on the dash. But a voltage meter is always good to have.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Where to connect battery tender